Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW arguments page

ms sage is offline Member

CW arguments

Shop Now
    I was on a fitness related board on which we were discussing the issue of grain free and low carb. An RD responded that we absolutely need carbs. Reasoning: glucose is the only fuel red blood cells use and is the preferred food for the brain, Which can adapt to others, but it is unhealthy.

Also whole grains contain antioxidants and b vitamins which cannot be found in other foods.

Now I don't believe this but before I respond to those statements, I would like some science backup. So if you can point me in the direction of some studies or research I would appreciate it. And not Mark's work. With all due respect to his theories, he is not a scientist.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    don't argue with people on boards about things you don't know about, and are not inclined to search for using GOOGLE. life's too short.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Most primal foods contain some combination of antioxidants and B vitamins, usually in higher quantities than grain. Coffee, tea, vegetables, fruits, lots of other foods all have various antioxidants.

From Wikipedia: Processed carbohydrates such as sugar and white flour tend to have lower B vitamin than their unprocessed counterparts. For this reason, it is required by law in the United States (and many other countries) that the B vitamins thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and folic acid be added back to white flour after processing. This is sometimes called "Enriched Flour" on food labels. B vitamins are particularly concentrated in meat such as turkey and tuna, in liver and meat products.[21] Good sources for B vitamins include kombucha, whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils, chili peppers, tempeh, beans, nutritional yeast, brewer's yeast, and molasses.

Not being toxic is another benefit of real food. I prefer my b vitamins and antioxidants to be non-toxic.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    don't argue with people on boards about things you don't know about, and are not inclined to search for using GOOGLE. life's too short.
    lol... +1 for the whole thing.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    You're not going to convince him so don't bother, especially if you're not really sure of why yourself.

Thanks jakey that was really helpful. Don't respond to threads in which you do not wish to help but would rather passively agrressively attact the poster.

Wow such a supportive group. Thank you markbt. That was helpful.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Sorry if it came across that way. You came across as ignorant and lazy in your OP. Which I imagine is why you got the response you did.

Why are you seeking ammunition to have an arguement with people on the internets? As an added bonus, it's a fitness forum you are wanting to argue on, so carbs are even more applicable to people who are getting above average amounts of exercise than they are for the average bear.

You don't need a whole lot of carbs for normal function. But there's also nothing unholy about carbs either.

If I were you I would confine my arguements to being grain-free rather than low carb. Maybe this video will help you formulate your thoughts and arguements?

Last edited by magicmerl; 02-20-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Thank you MagicMerl, that was a good discussion. You're a great help to this site.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms sage View Post
    I was on a fitness related board on which we were discussing the issue of grain free and low carb. An RD responded that we absolutely need carbs. Reasoning: glucose is the only fuel red blood cells use and is the preferred food for the brain, Which can adapt to others, but it is unhealthy.

Also whole grains contain antioxidants and b vitamins which cannot be found in other foods.

Now I don't believe this but before I respond to those statements, I would like some science backup. So if you can point me in the direction of some studies or research I would appreciate it. And not Mark's work. With all due respect to his theories, he is not a scientist.
    Life's too short.

What are you going to gain in this discussion?

If you feel there is good reason to pursue this and ego is not a good reason, then bring something to the table to support your argument, show the people here what you have they will review it and may come up with even stronger data, you have to invest some time yourself and show you are keen to follow this up.

You've criticized people for not spoon feeding you, why don't you post some data instead?
    Last edited by Omni; 02-20-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast