Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpain cure? page

Kieran is offline Junior Member

Backpain cure?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,
    Ive recently been getting pain in my lower back. I'm 22 and im an Engineer by day which involves alot of heavy and somtimes akward lifting of metal etc which i know to be the cause.
    I've also started going to the gym (post back pain) to build my strength to see if this will help with the pain. The exercises ive been doing are similar to the 5x5 stronglift programme but modified slightly to suit me. Ive started off light as to get the tech right.
    I was wondering if anybody knew of some things that would help with the back pain in the long term as im really not keen to go to docs and get pain killers for it.
    Thanks in advance
    Kieran

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    lol I love posting this all the time

"Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Veelore is offline Junior Member
    Do you have any muscle damage? Scars? Surgical sites? Anything on the back that could cause a weakness basically.
    Primal and deadlifting my way to health (hopefully)

Not sure about muscle damage, nothing ive had to go to doctors for anyway but no scars or surgey.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    You might consider going to someone who does postural patterning, pilates, or yoga -- but quality of these last two vary widely.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Start bridging
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I have had back problems for 19 years and herniated a disc about 4 years ago. Twice I have been considered 100% disabled- once at 20 years old, once at 36. I'll be 40 next month for reference. I do a regimen of daily stretching/yoga poses (takes about 15 minutes tops) such as cat/camel, seated spinal twists, spinal twists in a lunge position, IT band stretch, hip flexor stretch and hip stretch (hip misalignment can pull the lower back out of alignment) plus a couple back strengthening poses such as bird-dogs and planks. I also get acupuncture once a month. That keeps me basically pain free most of the time. The one thing I must avoid is a straight leg deadlift. Other lifting I can do without a problem.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Thanks for replies will be looking into them.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Most lower back pain that isn't structural is from poor hamstring flexibility. Stretch

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I had recurring back problems for years. Sometimes they were crippling. What basically stopped it was Healing Back Pain by John Sarno.

He maintains that most back problems are psychological. Not quite psychosomatic, as your muscles do really clench, but the clenching is from suppressed anger and/or stress. He points that 50 years ago nobody had back problems, but everyone had ulcers. Back problems just replaced ulcers as the favored stress response.

He also points out -- and we should all appreciate this -- that our backs evolved to handle most of what we demand of them. They're not hot-house flowers. He recommends staying active, instead of taking to your bed. He also recommends talking to your back, letting it know you're wise to it's "game".

If it sounds "woo-woo" it's not. Works for me. Must work for others: 447 five-star reviews on Amazon.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast