Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLP success and failure- where'd it go? page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

NLP success and failure- where'd it go?

Primal Fuel
    I started a thread last night aimed at people who integrate NLP into their training. I was excited to check back today and compare notes...

I thought it was rather relevant and I took care to discuss specific aspects of the experience as it related to physical training. What's up?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

ReformedSlacker is offline Junior Member
    When you say NLP, are you referring to neuro-linguistic programming? Or something else?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I know a lot of people say they have turned their lives around through NLP, but I think hypnosis and tapping are more effective and easier to learn.

yeah the linguistic programming...I thought it was kinda the same thing as hypnosis.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    yeah the linguistic programming...I thought it was kinda the same thing as hypnosis.
    Not exactly. Neuro-linguistic programming is the way information is stored in the brain. Understanding it can help people understand why they hate or love certain things or people and also help people detecting lying and emotions in others. It can also be used to change your perceptions of other things and activities. It is fascinating.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Neuro-linguistic programming was originally taught as an extension of hypnosis, but now a lot of programs prefer to teach it independent of hypnosis. They certify students as life coaches instead of hypnotists. But I think NLP is more effective when used in conjunction with hypnosis, and a lot of professionals feel that way.

well whatever, bugger semantics. My point was this:

I utter/intone a given command before sprinting at regular intervals of my cardio. Since doing this I have extended my sprint times incrementally and successfully, and the run feels different.

You know when your heart races and your mind literally scrambles all over the place from thought to thought, looking for any out that it can find in your maze of stored rationalizations? I was meaning to combat this cognitive tendency by imposing a new state, by way of teaching my body that when it hears me say this or that (I use, "go to ground" after thinking that speed bursts are most effective for running from threats), that it has to maintain this level of heart rate, respiration, etc.

And it's working, when I run.

Perhaps this addition was objectionable to the Moderators- I do not understand why this would be so.

So, I took the same command and intoned it while having sex, thinking that my body will respond as it is being trained to, and hold a higher more difficult heart rate and such. But, it just makes me have an orgasm after about the same time that my sprints last, as in, epic fail!

So I wanted to present that to the community and get some feedback.

NLP is mostly considered a psuedo-science by the mainstream psychology community, but we all know how often mainstream groups get things wrong, so I don't put too much stock in that. However, the most effective NLP methods I have experienced is regulating self-talk and visualization. It sounds basic but it works on a very fundamental level.

well I explained what I meant by the term, however you take the sound, "NLP." Forget the label and just look at what I'm saying lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    well I explained what I meant by the term, however you take the sound, "NLP." Forget the label and just look at what I'm saying lol
    Yeah I posted my last before I refreshed the page and saw yours. And I'm suggesting regulating self-talk and visualization. Harnessing your inner monologue is probably one of your strongest tools for success. How you constantly talk to yourself is how you will constantly act. And building a clear vision in your head of what you want will also contribute to this.

What you are referring to with the phrase before the sprint is referred to as "operant conditioning" and is similar to how the police train their dogs. And themselves. And, honestly, how the military conducts most of its training. This means that under situation A, an individual will be trained to do action B. However, this requires a realistic simulation or the actual event to be effective. So that means if you want to get better at sex, you've to visualize what you want, stick a unique phrase to it, and then have lots and lots of sex. Practice makes permanent, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast