Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: "two ingredient" banana and egg pancakes. page 16

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Don't be disappointed when they taste like ass.

I don't know what you all were eating as pancakes before primal. You know those Jelly Belly 'beanboozled' hoax flavors? That's about how close these are to actual Pancakes.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Well, I hadn't eaten pancakes in over a decade because even pre-primal I knew that flour+syrup+butter wasn't even close to nutritious, and that they had too many calories for a small woman to stay small unless eaten so rarely it was better just to not eat them anymore. So I have to agree that if a person likes tasteless discs of flour which need an additional 500 calories of goo to taste like anything, these will probably disappoint.

Rarely do substitutes taste like the original. These do however taste like a nice little banana treat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

I don't know what you all were eating as pancakes before primal. You know those Jelly Belly 'beanboozled' hoax flavors? That's about how close these are to actual Pancakes.
    LMAO, Sandra! My kids just discovered beanboozled jelly beans last week at camp!

Seriously, though - "real" floury pancakes, they ain't. But we actually really, really like them here; they are as close to a pancake that Third has come to since starting the SCD in 2006. We use slightly green-topped bananas, as they fry up puffier and more flouredy-like that way for us here. They do taste of bananas, but not overwhelmingly, and are tasty little treats. We use lard to fry them in, sometimes butter-flavored organic palm fat (health food store thing), as the family members this recipe targets are dairy-allergic.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

Did you do them wrong? I make KILLER conventional pancakes, and I think the egg and banana ones (sometimes tweaked) are really freaking good.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Expecting them to taste like real pancakes makes about as much sense as expecting spaghetti squash to taste like pasta, "riced" cauliflower to taste like white rice, etc..
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I can't stand eating a really ripe banana all by itself, but the banana pancakes taste really good to me. They remind me more of the flavor of a Swedish pancake--which is mostly milk, butter and sugar with less flour than regular pancakes. I actually don't really care for regular pancakes and love Swedish ones, so the flavor of banana pancakes works for me. I use a LOT of butter when frying my banana pancakes (1/4-1 tsp of butter per pancake), so that likely impacts the flavor positively as well. Mmmmmm, BUTTER!

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    I make something similar. but I add almond butter. 1 banana, 2 eggs, 1 big scoop almond-butter. Makes 3 pretty big pancakes.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    I can't stand eating a really ripe banana all by itself, but the banana pancakes taste really good to me. They remind me more of the flavor of a Swedish pancake--which is mostly milk, butter and sugar with less flour than regular pancakes. I actually don't really care for regular pancakes and love Swedish ones, so the flavor of banana pancakes works for me. I use a LOT of butter when frying my banana pancakes (1/4-1 tsp of butter per pancake), so that likely impacts the flavor positively as well. Mmmmmm, BUTTER!
    Definitely! Loads of butter is key. Might I suggest a pat of butter on top to finish them off

Actually since I do these for my kids sometimes I also like to make them calorie bombs so I add both butter and honey to the end product. But thats for the kiddies.... just butter for dad
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-19-2013 at 03:00 PM.

rockrunner Guest
    I've been playing around with this too...so far using all banana's is too sweet for me plus the texture is too thin. Tried a mix of plantain's and banana's much betterer....now i need to tweak that some more to get the right sweetness/texture...yeah my son thinks this is already better than regular pancakes. I might try some green banana's in the mix also.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, so I made these tonight using 4 bananas, I think 6 eggs (could have been 5), and a little baking soda and vanilla extract.

Turned out pretty tasty, but the real test will be how they taste reheated tomorrow morning with butter, etc..

Husband doesn't care for them, but he's a waffle fan to the point that he's biased against pancakes
    Hey, I wonder how the batter would hold up in a waffle iron?

They ARE a pain to flip, tho, even when they're small--could be the spatula I was using, but I couldn't slide it very far underneath before it'd stick--figured out a method that involved lifting it up and quickly kind of flopping it over, but it wasn't 100% fool proof and a couple broke. My in-laws do have crappy cookware.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast