Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How many eggs do you eat a week?! page 6

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Cooking them makes them more bio-available.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    I guess I was asking if cooking compromised any of the nutritional value, that's all. I am currently consuming 40 yolks a week; perhaps Ill incorporate a few raw ones.
    My understanding is that cooking makes the protein more bioavailable, but reduces the nutrition of the yolk. Yolk raw and whites cooked is probably optimal, but we are really just talking minutia here. Not a big deal.

Yenni is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    For those of you eating raw eggs. Just curious...why? What are the benefits? Any issues with Salmonella? I have no opinion but have yet to incorporate raw eggs into meals. [/url]
    I eat 2-3 eggs per day and if I make an omelette or boil the eggs I like to leave the yolks raw. For me it's a matter of taste; They are absolutely delicious! Salmonella etc. don't worry me, because I have reasonable faith in food safety when it comes to my country of residence. I've been eating raw eggs since I was a kid (until the age of 12 mainly in cookie dough) and have never had issues. From the last 20+ years I only remember one minor poultry related, news worthy salmonella scare.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yenni View Post
    I eat 2-3 eggs per day and if I make an omelette or boil the eggs I like to leave the yolks raw. For me it's a matter of taste; They are absolutely delicious! Salmonella etc. don't worry me, because I have reasonable faith in food safety when it comes to my country of residence. I've been eating raw eggs since I was a kid (until the age of 12 mainly in cookie dough) and have never had issues. From the last 20+ years I only remember one minor poultry related, news worthy salmonella scare.
    Ditto on the raw yolk thing. I hate hate hate cooked egg yolk unless it's for making egg salad or deviled eggs. I've been eating over-easy eggs (cooked white, runny yolk) since I could eat solid food! Never ever got salmonella or food poising from them. I, too, have eaten plenty of raw cookie dough and cake batter in my pre-Primal days, without any adverse affects.

My grandfather used to eat a raw egg with his breakfast every morning... more or less. He'd have a "minute egg" - my grandmother would set a pot of water on the stove, turn it off when it boiled, drop an egg in, and leave it in the steamy-hot (not boiling) water for a minute or two, max. Then my grandpa would eat it. It was basically a 95% raw, warm egg. I found it gross, but he never had any ailments from doing this!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat many eggs. Maybe 3 a week? Recently I bought some goose eggs. Now THAT's a yolk! I don't know if I can ever go back to chicken eggs.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Anywhere from none to 2 dozen, depending on what I want that week. Usually fried in bacon grease and butter, but occasionally I'll make fauxritos or portomelettes.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the week.
    Sometimes I can get through 20 a week, sometimes 8-10. If I've got a freezer-cleaning op going on (my freezer is almost 100% meat with some frozen berries), then I usually don't buy eggs, as meat is readily available.
    Probably average at 10.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yolk raw and whites cooked is probably optimal
    I think it is a mental thing for me. Even eating soft fried eggs, I might only leave one soft, as I feel like I am "eating" more, getting more food on my plate if the yolk is solid. Weird, I know.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

3 or 4 a day, on days when I don't get my eggs I don't feel right. I love them so much I got my own hens. I need more hens. I call them sunset eggs, not sunny side up, because of the deep orange yolks. With salt and cayenne.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I get crazy sometimes about them and eat as much as 50/week. Then I lay off eat several a week afterward when I get tired of them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast