Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you use protein shakes? page 3

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshison View Post
    Is the O.N Gold Standard Whey you buy imported from the U.S? If so, thats kind of funny to me since where I am (in Canada), the purest, cleanest Whey protein comes from New Zealand (that is of course if the marketing is true) since New Zealand has very strict regulations with their dairy industry. All New Zealand Whey comes from grass-fed, antibiotic-free cows.

I buy my protein from CanadianProtein.ca and they sell New Zealand grass-fed Whey and I have to say that the protein I get from this site is vastly superior to Optimum Nutritions. Mixability, taste, affordability and flavour (for the flavoured options) are better.
    Haha yes well the cows in my backyard can attest to the fact that all cows are grass-fed here... There's so much land. I wonder if we should put humans in a paddock and grassfeed them too. I'm not sure if all NZ cows would be antibiotic free though... I grew up on a dairy farm. I remember treating cows for various things, I assume they wouldn't hesitate to use antibiotics if the cow was sick. Or does it mean something else?

It's actually funny because I don't see anything here in NZ labelled as NZ whey, but I'm probably not looking. Fonterra, NZs biggest dairy company, does package pure whey isolates up in 20kg bags. I should ask my friend who works there if they will actually sell it to me like that hahaha.

Now you've got me wondering about it. To be honest they probably do export large amounts of it because they can get more money for it. Happens a bit here, with the meat too... all you primal folk overseas willing to pay top dollar for it makes them less willing to sell it to locals hahaha.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I used to add a scoop of whey (usually 30g protein) to 1/4 can coconut milk, have that 2-3 times a week after workouts.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    No.

My husband used to use them back in the day -- but he hasn't had a protein shake in about 9 or more years (I can't quite remember). He lifts heavy (doesn't train MMA or anything), so he is active/hard working/muscle building.

I never used them, largely because I think they taste like crap.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I like a smoothie. I need variety in my primal diet to keep myself excited about my eating and the occasional smoothie helps with that. I usually add a scoop of no-sugar, pretty clean egg white protein powder because protein beats no protein. I don't rely on them for nutrition and make a point to not have more than a few a week. Because yeah, food is always best and it's probably not psychologically healthy to "trick" myself into thinking I'm having a milkshake. But I know I could do worse because I often have.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Before going paleo I was having Sun Warrior rice protein in milk, and was putting on muscle AND waist fat.

Threw it in the trash. Now just a slab of meat with the fat/skin still on it...cooked in butter. Getting much stronger and leaner.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunteark1 View Post
    I agree that a lot of tasty farm and wild animals are cute, but I still eat them
    lol
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshison View Post
    Where did you get these numbers? Cuz I think they are wrong.

Whey Protein in general is pretty much the go-to powdered protein source and it has a superior bioavailability score to beef. High grade Whey Protein Isolate sources score nearly double in BV to beef.

The Food Guru: Protein Bioavailability List
    Bioavailability Of Whey Protein | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Not that I don't trust the random blogger or article writers over at livestrong..

Here is another source of very similar (yet worse numbers for protein powder) from folks who work with high level athletes.
    MAP vs. Dietary Proteins & Protein Supplements

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use them occasionally as a meal replacement when I don't have many other options. I mix with a whole can of coconut milk and coffee. I could go all day on a can of coconut milk and protein if I had to - energy all day!

Its really the last place I could clean up my diet, but I drink them rarely, and don't worry about it too much.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123