Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use protein shakes? page 2

Toshison is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    You are right - steak is better and easier to absorb. About 40% of the protein in meat is bio-available vs. 20% or so from powders or even eggs whites. .
    Where did you get these numbers? Cuz I think they are wrong.

Whey Protein in general is pretty much the go-to powdered protein source and it has a superior bioavailability score to beef. High grade Whey Protein Isolate sources score nearly double in BV to beef.

The Food Guru: Protein Bioavailability List
    Bioavailability Of Whey Protein | LIVESTRONG.COM

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Much more hardcore to make a pre-workout shake on a scoop or two of Brewers Yeast! It tastes horrible but it gives very good energy and the amino acid profile is also great...

GroksRoyalewCheese is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    You are right - steak is better and easier to absorb. About 40% of the protein in meat is bio-available vs. 20% or so from powders or even eggs whites. One thing you could benefit from is BCAA supplements. There is lots of good info on this site Bioletics | Know you body, find you edge! Read the Eric Cressey interviews.
    It says on that site :

"Research indicates that approximately 40% of the protein in high biological foods such as whole eggs, meat, fish, poultry is used by the body for anabolic purposes. Only about 20% of that found in low biological food such as whey, soy, egg whites, beans and nuts is used for growth and repair."

To which research is he referring?

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I have recently begun to look back at them, primarily as an inexpensive protein source. Don't care much for eggs, and an egg only has like 6 grams anyways.

Not a lifter or builder, but I am an armature martial artist and I do cycle.

They're basically meal replacement for me.

M.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I use whey because it is a lean source of protein, and I want to hit 150-200 g a day without the load of fat. Egg whites, boiled turkey breast and white fish are the other good sources, but sometimes I want a smoothie. I will probably go back to egg whites in my smoothies though once this tub of whey is done, since I like sorbet like texture more than the creamy milk-shake one more.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Abe Wagner is offline Junior Member
    The thing for me is that I have a relatively weak stomach when it comes to working out, so I need to have something that absorbs fast prior to the workout, or whatever I have won't be with me for long. I think it works great as a suppliment to actual food, but not a main source of protein.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I've started making them when I don't have a lot of time for a meal, but one thing that I think helps is that I add some coconut milk (really the creamy stuff that separates in the can). This ensures that I get some healthy medium chain fats for energy along with that punch of protein. I also eat in a restricted window most days, so it's hard to get enough protein when I only have one meal a day.

judoka is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    No. I see no need for them unless you're a weight lifter who's obsessed with bulking up and getting your protein nownownowNOW after a workout. I get sufficient protein through my food, and its a hell of a lot more enjoyable gnawing on a shank of pork than to drink a flavored chemical shake.
    Seems like a lot of misconceptions floating around this thread. Firstly, it's easy to find pure whey protein that doesn't have chemicals in it if you look past the major bodybuilding stuff. Secondly, protein shakes aren't what help you bulk up - a shitload of calories of which protein is a part does that. For any competitive athlete whey is a godsend, it isn't just for bodybuilders. I notice a huge difference in my recovery the next morning after comp training at judo if I throw a protein/carb shake straight down once we bow off the mat. When I don't bother with the shake and instead eat dinner a half an hour ish later, I generally wake up feeling like a truck has hit me.

No one is saying you should replace meals with protein shakes. They are supplements people.

It says on that site :

"Research indicates that approximately 40% of the protein in high biological foods such as whole eggs, meat, fish, poultry is used by the body for anabolic purposes. Only about 20% of that found in low biological food such as whey, soy, egg whites, beans and nuts is used for growth and repair."

To which research is he referring?
    I'm curious too. So egg yolks are "high biological" and egg whites are "low biological". Hmmm, I call bullshit.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    No. I tend not to drink calories of any description.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka View Post
    Seems like a lot of misconceptions floating around this thread. Firstly, it's easy to find pure whey protein that doesn't have chemicals in it if you look past the major bodybuilding stuff. Secondly, protein shakes aren't what help you bulk up - a shitload of calories of which protein is a part does that. For any competitive athlete whey is a godsend, it isn't just for bodybuilders. I notice a huge difference in my recovery the next morning after comp training at judo if I throw a protein/carb shake straight down once we bow off the mat. When I don't bother with the shake and instead eat dinner a half an hour ish later, I generally wake up feeling like a truck has hit me.

No one is saying you should replace meals with protein shakes. They are supplements people.
    I agree with this. I will have a protein shake maybe once a week after a tough workout. Whey is the most bioavailabe protein source partly because it has one of the best net absorption rates. I agree that we should consume whole foods more so than liquid sources but whey protein used as a supplement can be very advantageous in certain situations.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...-whey-protein/
    Last edited by Balance; 02-21-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast