Thread: The first step on the long path ahead page

CaveDaddy is offline Junior Member

The first step on the long path ahead

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I just started reading the PB last night (and only found the forum a couple of days ago), but thought I'd introduce myself and declare my intentions.

I'm a 37 year old father of two (a 3 year old and an 8 months old - both girls), and I've struggled with my weight on-and-off my whole life. At school I was the fat kid, and at several times have had some degree of success in losing weight and getting healthy. Typically I lose a lots of weight (dozens of pounds) and then slowly, insidiously, put it back on. A familiar story to lots of people here I guess?

My greatest success was about eight years ago when I followed the Atkins plan for a while. I bought into the low-carb lifestyle wholesale, and my energy went through the roof. I was never hungry, didn't feel restricted, and spent hours at the gym every week. I can honestly say that I was the best that I've ever been - mind, body and soul

It was during this time that I met the lady who I later married, and unfortunately for my health that's where things started to go wrong. It was easy for me to follow a low-carb lifestyle when I only had myself to consider, and I could engineer social situations around my requirements, but the contentment and social change that our new relationship brought caused havoc with my routines. I also transitioned from being self-employed, which allowed me freedom to go to the gym when I liked, to being employed full-time in an office (at a desk). Eventually I stopped going to the gym altogether, and the carbs crept back into my diet.

Over the past seven years I've tried to stop/reverse the gradual weight gain, but I've found myself with more responsibilities and less free time to look after myself. Although I now get as much as seven hours in bed each night the quality of sleep I get is poor - not only are we constantly awoken by our youngest daughter, but I suspect that I now suffer from early stage Obstructive Sleep Apnea caused by excessive neck fat.

I first read about the Primal/Paleo thing a couple of years ago on the blog of Tim Ferriss, and although it intrigued me I decided it was "something to look at later". Well, now it *is* "later". I write this I don't know my actual weight, but I *do* know I probably have 90lbs to lose before I'm where I was eight years ago. I'm currently the fattest (and oldest!) I've ever been, I'm heinously unfit and suffer from knee pain. I'm conscious that I need to act *now* to reverse the damage I've caused myself and regain control of my body.

My hope for the PB is that it's something that I can more easily integrate into my current (dysfunctional) lifestyle, and that will be sustainable in the longterm. I'm sure that once I'm making progress I'll be able to address other aspects of life and free up more time - it cyclical after all, isn't it? I know there's going to be plenty of challenges ahead, but I'm not scared of a challenge.

Finally, if you've read this far, thanks for sticking with me. I knew this would be a long introductory post, but hopefully it marks the start of a better life for me and my family

Regards,
    James

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi James - good on you for deciding to make the change.

Stick with it and you'll do great.

Good luck!

smalot is offline Member
    Hey James,

Im also a father and have been through similar. I lost about 20kgs 7 years back and it has slowly crept back on again + some. So far with paleo i have lost around 8kgs and have round 15 to go. I have found I sometimes can incorporate my meals with the kids. It has also been finding out what they really enjoy.

I hope you stick with and share your journey as I share my journey.

Cheers
    Doing my 30 day paleo challenge right now
    www.everydaypaleosolution.com

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    James,
    SWMBO does not subscribe to primal/paleo so I just do the best I can. I do my own breakfast and lunch, she does the evening meal but agreed not to give me grains apart from the occasional white rice dish. When I lunch away, I take something like roast chicken thigh, hard boiled egg and non meat along the lines of radishes, cucumber and horror of horrors, tomatoes. I have found that when eating out, which I do very rarely, restaurants are quite amenable to substituting a portion of fried mushrooms for potatoes or the side order of bread.

Anyway, good luck with your life change.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

CaveDaddy is offline Junior Member
    Just a quick update so that newcomers reading this know that PB works - to date I'm 31lbs down and still going strong. After just a couple of weeks my energy levels were very much improved as well.

I've still got a way to go, and now have more ambitious goals, but am confident I'll get there

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    WOW! Congratulations. Welcome, and I hope this keeps up.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Good luck with it James, welcome.