Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb lifestyle in society page

Kash3600 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey every one, I'm a 16 year old teen who lives in saskatchewan and one of the biggest things i've noticed about going primal is the way others in society judge you, i don't know if you guys get something similar but, alot of my friends and peers crack me down for how i eat and exercise and say i am "obsessed", but how can some one be obsessed for making simple lifestyle changes for the sake of being more healthy, and getting in better shape? When i think about it, maybe this is just jelousy of many people around, if you were out of shape and you seen somebody making changes and getting in better shape, you could decide " thats great! i should do that too" or you could say " thats not normal, why is that person making those changes?" perhaps people just put others down for making these lifestyle changes, because if they alienate me, or any body else who is trying to get in shape, they don't feel they have to make any changes themselves and they can feel secure? just thought i'd put this out there because i haven't seen this talked about alot, what do you guys think, do you get alot of criticism from people around you? if so why do you think this is? thanks for reading this long post.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I get criticized and mocked a bit. Sometimes I just ask the person if they'd mock a Vegan or Vegetarian. Some would. Some wouldn't.

Kash3600 Guest

i usually say to people who put me down for the exercise part of things " i workout 3-4 times a week, which totals 3-4 hours in the gym, some people play video games for many hours EVERY day, how can you call me obsessed?" even though in my eyes this is a valid point, for the low carb eating, almost every one i know thinks its " not right" but coincidentally, all the people who dis agree with me are not in very good shape, not to stereotype but, doesn't this proove that obviously conventional wisdom is very wrong when it comes to diet? its so simple and it blows my mind people can't put 2 and 2 together.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Great point. I think next time somebody criticizes me for not eating grains I'll simply point out how well it's working for them- lol.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Yep, definitely get criticism (or at least weird looks), even from one of my roommates, even when I told her that eating this way has let me conquer my previously insatiable sweet tooth (right now she's basically living on sugar/carbs and is wondering why she always craves them).

I don't think it's jealousy so much as being "weird" for doing something against the norm. CW = "High fat? Heavens no! But pack on the sugars and the processed crap." I think it's absolutely bizarre that it's acceptable to openly demean something this natural but rude to question vegetarian/vegan/low-fat/SAD. If I went up to someone and said "you rarely even get one serving of vegetables a day, most of your calories come from sugars, and you trim the fat off of your chicken and then grab some brownie frozen yogurt for dessert...what's wrong with you?!" you can bet I'd get a negative reaction.

maba is offline Senior Member

Although I've been primal for a relatively short-time I get the feeling that my friends think I'm obsessed, crazy and completely wrong! My husband is concerned about my health. I tried talking about Primal, almost obsessively, to my immediate family to the point that they got turned off, so now I'm trying to be quiet about it and let my result speak for itself.

I wish I could just go to the roof-top and scream out loud about how CW has been screwing us all this while.

Paneristi is offline Member

Ive been Primal since March 9th - Ive been teetotal since Aug 21 2000 I really don't give a hoot what people think about what i eat or drink- I have come to believe that people really dont care as much as you think they do - most people dont even notice !..

I"ll share this ....

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

gazb is offline Junior Member

I tend not to mention it to people unless they ask. I do get confused reactions (like I've mentioned in the CW thread with my friend thinking my breakfast was "missing" bread), or people asking if I'm "on a diet" and why since I'm not overweight (because eating healthy is only for overweight people, and once you lose the weight you can start eating crap again, right?).

I think "low carb" in particular has bad connotations in society, and many people's first reactions on hearing the term (including mine) is that it's unhealthy because it's missing a "vital" component. Also there's the Atkins controversy.

The best way to explain it I find is to emphasise how eating this way has helped, be it feeling healthier, less tiredness, weight loss, whatever. This makes the whole concept seem a lot more valid as it's proof that it works.

I like the point about vegetarian/vegan... These seem to be pretty much socially acceptable these days, and you wouldn't be afraid to tell a friend that you're avoiding meat, so why grains?

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

It helps if you eat only one meal a day (dinner in my case).

That way you can go all out on parties heheh.

Example meal:

600g top sirloin

600g broccoli

250g salmon

Very cost-efficient in buffets heheh (I give the reason that I don't eat carbs because they're the "cheap stuff".=)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

eyeshield....Two pounds of flesh at one sitting? I dunno, maybe you are so hungry by dinnertime or something. Even as a 6'3" chowhound I find that unappetizing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast