Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's given up dairy? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Who's given up dairy?

Shop Now
    I'm going to give it up for a month and I'm wondering - if you gave up dairy:

- What was the reason?
    - What were the benefits (if any)?
    - Did you go through any withdrawal / detox symptoms?

When I gave it up as a vegan I simultaneously gave up wheat and sugar so it's hard to know how it effected me.

But the last few months my dairy consumption has been pretty excessive... its the bulk of my calories, and sometimes I'll eat it three times a day.! I feel great and have loads of energy, but lately I've noticed a few (not positive) physical changes - dark circles and more wrinkles under my eyes, more bloating than usual etc.

I've read the bad press (used to be vegan... the irony) - particularly about it clogging the lymphatic system, but I was really craving it, so I figured my body must need it. Then I read that casein has an opiate effect... sigh.

Muchos gracias.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 02-20-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Added another question
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Are you giving up dairy or just casein?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Are you giving up dairy or just casein?
    Ummm. Dairy?

I don't know - anything bad I read related to dairy as a whole and didn't differentiate...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    i eat little dairy but awhile back i was on the Specific Carb Diet for colitis and cut out all dairy except 24h homemade yoghurt (basically no lactose left, majorly good probiotic content).
    it depends on teh quality and quantity of dairy you're eating. someone making homemade yoghurt (eating a few x week) and a few hard cheese occasionally (basically me) probably won't notice a big difference of omitting it completely.

BUT someone who has it as the primary diet food such as yourself...i'm so curious! let us know after a month how things go. then reintroduce from the most bening/beneficial to the 'worst' (yoghurt/kefir - then high quality hard cheese - then milk) and see how you feel.

really, anyone else's experience would only be comparable if they had a similar constitution and diet as you.

Quote Originally Posted by meloroaster View Post

really, anyone else's experience would only be comparable if they had a similar constitution and diet as you.
    True that, yo.

Thanks for your input
    Last edited by YogaBare; 02-19-2013 at 04:03 PM.

- Ray Peat

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I gave it up for three months to see if it
    was the reason LadyTime was coming early (24 days instead
    of 28 days, sometimes TWICE a month).

It had nothing to do with it, unfortunately, I'm just old.

In that time I also watched my allergies (lots of sneezing and
    blowing my nose), thinking that maybe the dairy had something
    to do with it.

It didn't.

Again, just my old ladiness payin' it forward.

Mama ain't 20 anymore.

Wish it WAS the dairy! I'd give it all up in a heartbeat to
    make LT regular and to stop freaking sneezing a thousand
    times a day WITHOUT Flonase.

Julie

p.s. and it never did anything to make me "stall" or lose
    weight any faster, either... for me, that depends on
    plain ol' calories, not what they come from.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    My body is very sensitive to dairy. I noticed that my body performed more optimally when I cut out my daily coffee with cream, including no tightness in my chest that I used to get almost all the time after exercise. It might have been the coffee, but I was also ingesting a lot of caffeine in the form of tea to compensate, so not so sure if that was the case. However, my congestion got to its worst when I was consuming a lot of soft sheep cheeses, so maybe it was the dairy? It's too bad because I like the cream to cut some of the bitterness of coffee, but oh well.

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    I know that dairy isn't a problem for me. Plus, I'd never give up milk/cream in my coffee, cheese, or yogurt. I do think I could give up butter, but it's not a "bad" dairy, particularly ghee. So let us know how it goes but know also that your mileage may vary!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I gave up all dairy except for butter (and the occasional protein powder) as part of going Paleo. Results have been excellent, but I have no way to determine what result if any can be attributed to not eating dairy.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The thing is that there's two different things that people can be intolerant to in dairy: lactose and casein. Lactose is a carbohydrate, and is found in the 'water' of the milk, so it's largely absent from butter and cheese. Casein is a protein, so ghee (which is just the purified butterfat with the proteins excluded) is casein free.

I have a mild milk intolerance, where I used to get dry skin around my nose.

I didn't consciously give up milk, but when I stopped eating cereals and porridge there was no reason to consume it any more. I still have butter and cream.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast