Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who's given up dairy? page 6

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Don't know if anyone else had this, but I'm quickly seeing that I use dairy to get that "heavy feeling" at the end of a meal? I was mistaking "heaviness" for satiation. I think what satiates me at the end of a meal is a change of flavour, and a cup of mint tea at the end of a meal is delivering that, but I still feel light. (This is probably basic to those of you who have regulated their appetites!)

I'm pretty sure I'm less bloated too, but I always speak too soon on these things so I'll wait til I measure
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Good plan.

I have to switch from savory to sweet after the meal, too, but I don't always want more food/nutrition, so I hit up the peppermint tea, chai, or the lemon/honey/ginger. These are actually relatively savory/astringent, but they function as "sweet" in my mouth. LOL

Or, as you say, change of flavor. The finisher.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Good plan.

I have to switch from savory to sweet after the meal, too, but I don't always want more food/nutrition, so I hit up the peppermint tea, chai, or the lemon/honey/ginger. These are actually relatively savory/astringent, but they function as "sweet" in my mouth. LOL

Or, as you say, change of flavor. The finisher.
    It usually registers with me as a desire for sweet too... Given that many cultures have a long tradition of sweet deserts after meals there could be some physiological basis to it. Maybe it's a BS thing (blood sugar, not B.S. )

Or maybe it's just the desire to clean the palate from the previous flavours. In India they give you a pile of fennel seeds after a meal. YUM and does the trick! But then they also wash everything down with a small glass of milk-and-sugar-laden chai....
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

miata is online now Senior Member
    I completely quit dairy about 9 months ago when I went "vegan" for a while. I just read too many bad things about milk -- especially casein. About 4-5 months back I went Paleo and about 3 months ago added clarified KerryGold butter to my diet (bulletproof coffee anybody?).

In addition, I now consume a small amount of aged cheeses -- especially those made from raw cheeses, but avoid any other dairy products except for cream on rare occasions. I just don't feel comfortable with all of the processing that goes into anything but raw milk based products -- pasteurization, homogenization, hormones, additives, etc.

If I could afford it I would consider making raw milk kefir for my daily smoothies. Instead I've been making coconut milk kefir which works quite well.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Raw milk and very aged cheese seem to pass fine. Anything else is a roll of the dice.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I love dairy. It hates me. Depending on the source I can exhibit wheezing, congestion, tightmess, deadly gas. I can have whey in tiny amounts and grass-fed butter occasionally and infrequently. I have no withdrawl symptoms. Goat dairy is even worse. So to say the least I rairley ingest unless I think the product is worthy of side effects.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I got a response from Liberte here in Canada, and they said:

We do not UHT pasteurise our milk we do a regular pasteurisation. 66 degrés F (74.4 degrés C) during 16 secondes.

Obviously, not raw milk, but better than UHT? So, no need to go organic then for yogurt? Or should I go for goat one, since homogenization is natural there?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Imageword is offline Junior Member
    Here's my story on dairy: I've been drinking raw grass-fed jersey milk from a local dairy farm this winter, and I usually have had no problems with it. Lately, I've been making smoothies using the milk and putting fruit in it (banana or orange) and some spinach, and 2 raw eggs (local free-range) and I have been having some mild digestion issues...strange noises coming from my gut and mildly loose/frequent stools that can be a little painful. I am wondering if maybe it is the amount of milk that I am drinking in one sitting? Usually if I drink just a glass of milk, I don't notice anything wrong, but these big smoothies sometimes are causing me some issues...anyone else have that experience with the amount?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    That would likely be the combination of milk and fruit. Ever since I was small kid I was told not to mix non-fermented dairy and fruit to avoid exactly the symptoms you have described. Just split the fruit and milk consumption by a couple of hours or make kefir.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Imageword is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool, I thought maybe it could be the combination of the fructose and the milk! Thanks for the tip.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast