Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who's given up dairy? page 5

angieluc4 is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Thanx in advance.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I probably should. I think it might make me a little stuffy. But daily I have 1/4 - 1/2 cup homemade greek yogurt, and/or 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Once in a great while something else like cheese or cream cheese. If I am going for a higher fat day, then I might have those things.

I never use to eat yogurt or cottage cheese, well rarely. Not until I started to try to lose weight. Now I find that I really like them with my fruit & berries. Kind of replaces my desire to have desserts.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CradlingaLion View Post
    Keep in mind that with dairy, most specifically milk, organic is EVERYTHING.

The hormones and antibiotics that can exist in milk -- let alone blood and pus, up to a thimbleful per gallon, especially in choc. milk -- mess with your body bad.

I switched to organic only milk a few years ago and most recently have found some filtered organic whole milk that not only does NOT make me break out or get bad PMS, but tastes better too.

Quality is everything.
    Unfortunately most organic milk sold in my area is ultra-pasteurized (UHT) and therefore dead, yuck. So the label organic isn't always "everything". Horizon organic milk is particularly questionable. Despite its Horizon brand, dairy giant Dean Foods really doesn Whenever I can get out to a store that carries it, I get non-homogenized, low-temp pasteurized milk from an area dairy. While they don't have the certified organic label, they use organic practices--no pesticides/herbicides on the grass, and no hormones for their cows.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I was wondering about Organic vs non-organic here in Canada. They do not allow the growth hormone here, but everything save very few hard cheeses are pasterized and homogenized. There is one milk brand that is not homogenized - but so expensive and hard to get. I buy butter and milk organic - and homogenized, but my greek yogurt just like that, since the price is steep on the greek yogurt to start with. So, in Canada, is organic label worth the 100% surcharge for milk (4$ for 4L to 8$ for 2L) and 40% surcharge yogurt (4$ for 500 mg to 7$ for 500 mg)? I would buy hard cheese organic and non-pasterized simply because of teh taste difference, but milk and yogurt taste the same.

The only difference in Canada it seems is that:

Organic farms use antibiotics as a last resort, opting for homeopathic remedies first, but if antibiotics must be used to maintain quality of life for the cow, they will be. If the animal is put back into the herd, its milk will not be used for sale for a minimum of 14 to 30 days or longer after the final treatment (on some organic farms, it will never be used for milk production again).

In conventional dairies, the cow is removed from milk production generally for two to five days after the final treatment of medication. Worth pointing out is that in both organic and non-organic dairy farms, if any trace of antibiotics is found in the milk during the quality test at the time of tank pick up, the farmer is responsible for buying the contaminated tank back. So it’s not in any farmer’s interest to sell milk containing antibiotics.

And the producer's site says:

Like all yogurt producers in Canada, Liberté must conduct analyses on the milk it uses to make yogurt and is prohibited from including milk that contains antibiotics or growing hormones.

Organic cows might get a better feed, but who knows.

So, is this longer withdrawal from the cycle after giving antibiotics worth choosing organic over non-organic?
    Last edited by Leida; 02-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Is organic milk UHT in Canada? That's the dealbreaker for me, as I can get hormone-free conventional milk pretty much anywhere (and do occasionally). I found a good article discussing what's wrong with UHT milk: Just Say No To UHT Milk | Food Renegade

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It is not regulated, so can be either.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

paleodog is offline Senior Member
    I have completely given up dairy. No butter, milk cheese. Nothing. I drink my coffee with chicory and 100% cocao. I have no more mucus and all-day throat clearing. I think I even have less systemic inflammation. That's just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Is organic milk UHT in Canada? That's the dealbreaker for me, as I can get hormone-free conventional milk pretty much anywhere (and do occasionally). I found a good article discussing what's wrong with UHT milk: Just Say No To UHT Milk | Food Renegade
    Try to make sure it is the A2 beta Caesin not the A1 which most dairy is, This is another factor which may help explain the geographic distributions of chronic disease - Human Breast milk is A2.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I gave up dairy for 2 months in order to be as completely primal as possible. Since then I've been slowly adding it back in with no bad effects. Not milk, strangely it doesn't interest me anymore. But OH do I love cream, in coffee, on fruit, and clam chowder and oyster stew with cream are to die for. Hard cheese and soft cheese also, but my total cheese amount is not nearly what it used to be.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I gave up all dairy recently as part of a 30 day nutrition challenge. I felt awesome at the end of the month, but I had also gone cold turkey on wheat and all sugar, even fruit. So, not sure if it was the lack of dairy that did it. I've mostly kept off the dairy ever since, but I did add back in greek yogurt. No adverse effects.

I think the big reason I'm staying mostly off dairy at this point is that I find it really easy to eat a lot of cheese without thinking about it, and simply cutting out cheese has really put a big dent in my caloric intake. And it's easier for me to just stay off cheese entirely than eat it sparingly. I have no "off" switch when it comes to cheese.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast