Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's given up dairy? page 4

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I live in NZ so I always use that as justification that we have good dairy so I can eat it... But if I'm honest, too much lactose definitely does not agree with me, and casein can be tricky too.

Another thing is that the prices are generally good here so it's quite a cheap source of protein.

Currently, I am eating - cottage cheese, butter, parmesan cheese, whey protein powder.

Other things I sometimes eat - Mozzarella cheese (it's delicious ok!), cream, greek authentic full fat yoghurt.

I know I'm better off without it, but I enjoy it. And for now I will continue eating it.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't really eat dairy as it makes me really snotty...haven't figured out quite why yet. I can handle small amounts of butter and goats/sheeps cheese but no more than that.

The only thing I really miss is greek yoghurt - absolutely love the stuff. Every now and again I give in and buy some, but boy do I pay for it...snotty and bunged up for days. And the more time goes by the more I notice it.

As someone who used to eat a tonne of dairy - yoghurt, cheese, milk - you name it, I can't believe that I probably always felt like that but I was so used to it I didn't notice. These days it's just not worth it - I'd rather be able to breathe, thanks :-)

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm going to give it up for a month and I'm wondering - if you gave up dairy:

- What was the reason?
    - What were the benefits (if any)?
    - Did you go through any withdrawal / detox symptoms?

When I gave it up as a vegan I simultaneously gave up wheat and sugar so it's hard to know how it effected me.

But the last few months my dairy consumption has been pretty excessive... its the bulk of my calories, and sometimes I'll eat it three times a day.! I feel great and have loads of energy, but lately I've noticed a few (not positive) physical changes - dark circles and more wrinkles under my eyes, more bloating than usual etc.

I've read the bad press (used to be vegan... the irony) - particularly about it clogging the lymphatic system, but I was really craving it, so I figured my body must need it. Then I read that casein has an opiate effect... sigh.

Muchos gracias.
    I did something similar once. I eliminated all dairy for 30 days, then added back different categories every 3 days for a few weeks. Categories were something like 1. Raw, grass-fed, fermented dairy, 2. Pasteurized, grass-fed, fermented dairy, 3. Pasteurized, grass-fed, non-fermented dairy...

You get the idea. I added back what I thought would be least problematic to most, gradually. I saw no difference at any point during the trial. Which was awesome, because I'm a big fan of my heavy cream, butter, and cheese.

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Reason.
    I'd add a good amount of cottage cheese with my salads for lunch. I was terribly uncomfortable for hours after eating. Decided to cut out dairy completely.

Benefits? Absolutely. I don't feel like I am going to blow up for hours after consuming cheese and milk. Occasionally at restaurants I can't avoid some cheese added on dishes, very small amounts.

Withdrawal? No. I know some people can't live without milk & yogurt. I guess I missed cottage and blue cheese but the benefits were too noticeable. I had ice cream "withdrawal" but I attribute that to the sugar.

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    Keep in mind that with dairy, most specifically milk, organic is EVERYTHING.

The hormones and antibiotics that can exist in milk -- let alone blood and pus, up to a thimbleful per gallon, especially in choc. milk -- mess with your body bad.

I switched to organic only milk a few years ago and most recently have found some filtered organic whole milk that not only does NOT make me break out or get bad PMS, but tastes better too.

Quality is everything.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    nihil

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I tried a while ago because I read that dairy may relate to bad menstrual cramps (and mine are bad). I didn't notice much of a difference but I was still eating a little dairy - mostly hard cheddar.

Recently I had a very similar realization to you - some days nearly half my calories were from cheese (its so easy and portable and tasty... and when I'm in non-Paleo homes they always have some cheese for me to eat). It is always all or nothing for me so I gave it up except for one little indulgence - TJ Cranberry Gorgonzola dressing - 2 tbsp per night. This month I was about 14 days into my no-cheese thing and my cramps were unbelievably light this month... I'm very curious to see if the same is true next month.

The benefits for me: I eat more tasty and just plain more meat because I'm not "saving" 300 calories per meal for cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, etc. I used to always put cheese on my 5 oz burgers, now I have an 8 oz burger instead... things like that. I find that I'm actually more satiated from that - eating cheese often just begot more eating cheese

At the end of the day you just gotta try it and see what it does for you.

pogo0685 is offline Junior Member
    I have been dairy free for 2 full weeks now, it would be 5 but there was milk hiding in my probiotics so I thought I was dairy free and I wasn't. I gave it up because my little one was spitting up all the time and his baby acne was really bad and he started pooping green, he was almost 3 weeks old when I gave it up. I really missed it at first but now I am thinking I might just stay off it for the most part. It would be nice to have cheesecake once in a while but I really don't feel I need it anymore like I thought I did before I gave it up. I have not noticed a bit of difference without it except my little one is much much better, but I also had to eliminate eggs, nuts and seeds, and my prenatal multi-vitamins because they are the only soy I was eating and it also did not agree with him. I was hoping for some miracle weight loss but that has not happened, but I just had a baby so my body is a bit confused at the moment anyway.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    I gave it up about 6 years ago after I was diagnosed with Lymphocytic Colitis. Trial and error quickly showed that if I ate even a tiny amount of any form of dairy, I would be in the bathroom exactly 36 hours later, and would remain ill for a couple of days. Not worth it. I even avoid those things that say 'may contain traces of milk products' as that trace will get me every time.

As well as the diarrhea, gas and tummy pain, giving it up has reduced my asthma (no meds any more) and sinus allergies.

Now that i have been well for ages, and my latest colonoscopy results show a marked reduction in lymphocytes, I am experimenting to see if there is a form of dairy I can have occasionally without causing a return of problems. I seem to be able to cope with small amounts of some cheeses on occasion, and the jury is still out on butter.

The take home message is if your doctor is doing a colonoscopy to check for IBS symptoms, plead, beg, promise to pay more money etc. anything to get them to do biopsies at the same time. The microscopic colitis family of illnesses is underdiagnosed as doctors only think it occurs in mature women. Youngest person I know of was diagnosed at 5 years of age, and I know plenty of men with these conditions. BTW, the dairy intolerance in this situation is usually to casein.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's a cute cartoon, Dermapix. lol

To answer specific-like:

-What was the reason?

Lactose intolerance -- bloating, tummy aches, gas.

- What were the benefits (if any)?

no bloating, tummy aches and gas.

- Did you go through any withdrawal / detox symptoms?

no.
    Last edited by zoebird; 02-21-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast