Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Pastured Chicken page

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member

Affordable Pastured Chicken

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering where you all buy your pastured chickens? I live in So Cal and occasionally pick a few up from a farmers market or order them online but they seem so expensive. I don't mind paying more for humanely raised animals who eat their natural diets but if I can save money I'd like to. I have a deep freezer so buying in bulk isn't an issue. Is there something I'm missing? I've done pretty extensive research (at least I think I have) and I just haven't found much in the way of decently priced pastured chicken. Where do you all buy your birds?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I buy whole pastured chickens at Whole Foods when they go majorly on sale for $1.99/lb. These ladies are usually rated 4 for me. Not sure about down South; I live in NorCal.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I'm not in CA, but I buy mine from a small local farm, I think he charges $4/lb. My current rotation has us roasting a chicken once a week--works out well because the resulting stock is used in other dishes for the rest of the week, as is the meat picked off after the initial meal (soups, salads, etc.). I do occasionally buy non-pastured (but preferably organic) chicken breasts when they go on sale to use for other chicken dishes--the bad stuff in non-pastured meat tends to be in the fat anyway.

Have you talked with the individual farmers at the farmer's market? They may do bulk deals or discounts if you set up a regular order. Also, depending on the farm, you may get good deals on drumsticks/thighs/etc. if they cut up their birds and sell a lot of chicken breasts at a premium. We used to live near a farm that sold a lot of breasts, and therefore the other stuff was always much cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the sales at Whole Foods. I haven't been there in forever as it's a town away and I've just always thought of it as a money pit. Buying meat on sale there would be an excellent idea.

As for buying in bulk I have talked to the farmers and it's about $20-$22 a bird bulk and $25-$30 otherwise. I used to think the $13 organic chickens at Trader Joe's were a splurge, lol!

If it helps any, this Friday my local WF stores are having the $1.99/lb whole chickens, coincidentally XD

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    If it helps any, this Friday my local WF stores are having the $1.99/lb whole chickens, coincidentally XD
    I just saw that too, deciding if it's worth driving 45 minutes to stock up on organic birds. Pastured is best, but our budget has been so tight lately... Maybe if they have some other good sales or coupon match-ups.

Thanks for the heads up on the chickens! They're on sale today at my whole foods too. I'll swing by and pick some up after work and my sister just picked up a bunch for me from the one by her.

I checked WFs chickens and I'm comfortable with how they're raised. One of the main reasons I switched to pastured and grassfed meats is the quality of the lives of the animals. Honestly nutritional differences alone aren't worth the crazy price difference but I'll pay it so I'm no longer fully supporting CAFCO or factory farming. My dogs and cats are all on raw diets and have been for years but they eat conventional meats. I just can't manage the prices of the other stuff for them. Mama's gotta retire someday, lol!

Jude Turner is offline Junior Member
    I also curious about pastured chickens. Could you please where it will found?

Incindiary is offline Member
    I bought a case (26.4 lbs) of the whole chickens at WF on Friday. I don't know if it's because I bought the case, but I got a $5.00 discount at the register, so $1.81 or so per pound of organic chicken? Works for me! I was tempted to get a second case, but wasn't sure if all those birds would fit in my freezer. We roasted one today for lunch. Delicious.

I'm curious though, is this a once-a-year sale, or is it more frequent? I've checked local sources for pastured chicken, and the prices are prohibitive.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Incindiary View Post
    I'm curious though, is this a once-a-year sale, or is it more frequent? I've checked local sources for pastured chicken, and the prices are prohibitive.
    It's definitely more frequent. Around here, I've seen it go on sale about once a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast