Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my skin breaking out? page

murf73 is offline Senior Member

Why is my skin breaking out?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I went primal in January. So far everything seems to be going really well (although I did find out the hard way that I'm terrible at forced-fasting). I have lost 14lbs (I'm now 130 at 5'5"). My thyroid levels have improved drastically (I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis). My fitness is also improving A TON because I actually have energy and motivation to exercise. The only weird thing is that the last couple weeks my skin on my face has started to break-out! I have always had really dry, flaky skin (probably due to the thyroid problem). Why do you think this is happening? Is my skin going through some kind of health crisis?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Depending on how long you have been doing this diet your body could be flushing out all the toxins from your previous diet. It is part of the cleansing process. I have a friend who has recently done the whole30 and during the initial stages he broke out like crazy but it slowly stopped and the skin is looking better.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I have noticed the same thing since start february first. Normally I have dry, flaky skin, and I have recently begun breaking out. I am inclined to agree with Balance on this one. Toxins come out of the body in many shapes and forms. I am hoping it will clear up as I have never had a real acne issue. I've heard stories of coconut oil doing wonders for the skin/hair/nails.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by murf73 View Post
    Ok, I went primal in January. So far everything seems to be going really well (although I did find out the hard way that I'm terrible at forced-fasting). I have lost 14lbs (I'm now 130 at 5'5"). My thyroid levels have improved drastically (I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis). My fitness is also improving A TON because I actually have energy and motivation to exercise. The only weird thing is that the last couple weeks my skin on my face has started to break-out! I have always had really dry, flaky skin (probably due to the thyroid problem). Why do you think this is happening? Is my skin going through some kind of health crisis?
    It could be a lot of different things. I didn't break out when i went primal but mind you I ate pretty healthy already. It could also be the cosmetic stuff you use.

Commander Quan is offline Junior Member
    When I first changed up my diet I got a lot of unusual acne as well. After than initial breakout I probably haven't had 5 pimples in the last year.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I have two thoughts on this:

When I stopped eating dairy, my acne disappeared within a few months.

1) Your breakouts could be due to something you've added to your diet that is affecting your body negatively. Maybe making a list of the new things you've been eating and systematically eliminating them to see if there is a reduction could be helpful. Only annoying thing is that it could take weeks to months to see a difference.

2) Acne can also be caused by excess androgens. Having an increase in this can be due to diet or supplements. For example, I tried supplementing with DHEA a while ago, and it gave me acne on my back, which I'd never had before in my life. Are you taking any supplements that could affect hormones? Are you eating a ton more meat (which I believe can influence levels of testosterone, an androgen)?

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I'd wait to see if your skin improves in 1-2 months.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    I don't wear make-up, so it's not that.
    Almost all the meat I eat is organic.
    I'm inclined to believe it's toxins leaving the body.
    Also, when your body burns fat doesn't it release
    a bunch of hormones that were stored in the fat?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    It's probably due to low carb. How do you know your thyroid is ok? A tsh over 1-2 is high.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    It's probably due to low carb. How do you know your thyroid is ok? A tsh over 1-2 is high.
    You really think it's the low carb that is doing it? The OP never even mentioned if she was low carb or not and has only been doing the diet since January. Despite everything else being better according to her, including her Hashi's symptoms you really think its the low carb only? I am guessing that is wrong. I am still sticking with the fact that she probably has some residual toxins left over from her previous diet that still needs to be flushed out. Only time will tell. I also would look into dairy consumption like Bestbetter already has mentioned as dairy can cause some adverse skin reactions with those who don't tolerate it well. I personally tend to build up mucous and have skin irritations including an occassional pimple when I consume dairy.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast