Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do squat spotters get so darn close? page

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member

Why do squat spotters get so darn close?

Shop Now
    I've seen pics and videos of competitions where a squat spotter stands a millimeter behind the lifter and follows them all the way down and back up. Not only is this really creepy, but the slightest accidental contact from a spotter means the attempt doesn't count, right? Is there some reason the spotter can't stand way back and wait for the rep to fail, or just let them drop the bar?
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Yup. Because the lift is a max effort, loaded onto the competitor's back, and waiting for the rep to fail could have catastrophic consequences.

Bet you could have thought that through on your own.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Bet you could have replied without being unkind, also.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yup. Because the lift is a max effort, loaded onto the competitor's back, and waiting for the rep to fail could have catastrophic consequences.

What are the "catastrophic consequences" of setting the bar down on the pins of a squat rack? I've also seen people doing heavy squats without a rack, and simply drop the bar behind them when they fail. What are the "catastrophic consequences" of that?
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Bet you could have replied without being unkind, also.
    It sounded far more good-natured in my own head than it must have looked to you on paper. My bad. Should have tossed in an emoticon.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    What are the "catastrophic consequences" of setting the bar down on the pins of a squat rack? I've also seen people doing heavy squats without a rack, and simply drop the bar behind them when they fail. What are the "catastrophic consequences" of that?
    I don't think he/she was talking about a competition that allows the lifters to squat in a rack with pins. Wasn't even aware there were such things.

Ever see someone fall forward when failing a squat without a rack/pins? People take dangerous risks at their absolute maximum limits in competitions, and extra safety precautions are necessary.

Plus, dropping weights from that height is terrible for the barbell.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    RichM nailed it. When your dealing with that much weight and a max effort all kinds of things can go VERY wrong. If you don't believe it just do some youtube surfing.

Veelore is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    Of that? Nothing, but not all failed squats are going to go that way:

Knees x-ing inwards,
    Back folding forwards and the bar rolling across
    Actual muscle rips (though if thats going to happen I am doubtful a spotter could save you in time)
    Having over yoru body weight potentially dropping on part of you, or having you fall with it on top of you.

I do think it should be noted though that there are alot of bad spotters out there. They hold the bar and insist 'its all you' as they clearly are taking some of the strain.
    Primal and deadlifting my way to health (hopefully)

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

boomingno is offline Member
    Ow... ugh I had to stop watching that before it ended

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast