Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours of Pull ups? page

macnip is offline Junior Member

24 Hours of Pull ups?

Shop Now
    I am planning on participating in a charity event next year in February that entails doing pull ups for 24 hours. I am challenging a friend who did the event alone this year. I am starting to instill the Primal lifestyle and I was curious how I could train for an endurance even like this primally.

The guy I am challenging did 2501 pull ups in 24 hours (he actually had to stop after about 14 hours) so I am going to have to gain a lot of strength but also train for endurance (I am thinking of outlining the training in a manner similar to someone training for a marathon).

Any ideas on how to approach my training and what kind of diet I should be incorporating during my training. Most of my energy should be coming from fat with some carbs mixed in for glycogen replenishment correct?

Thanks in advance

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't over think it (diet wise at least) just do lots of pull ups, all the time, every day. The day of competition I would try to stay as fresh as possible - I wouldn't have a single "set" over 5 reps. That way you may be able to keep banging out pull ups for many hours.

You have a whole year, so play around with a few things, pyramid sets, doing one pull up a minute for a certain amount of time (half hour, while you watch TV or something) build up your work capacity as much as you can.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macnip View Post
    The guy I am challenging did 2501 pull ups in 24 hours (he actually had to stop after about 14 hours)
    Are those assisted? 178 pull-ups per hour seems a bit absurd

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    Are those assisted? 178 pull-ups per hour seems a bit absurd
    I'm assuming not, but it does beg the question, are kipping pull ups allowed? cus if so that changes the whole dynamic. My advise was based on strict pull ups.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I assume the OP is referring to David Goggins: 24 Hours Of Pull Ups: Navy SEAL Attempted World Record For Charity.

I'd imagine David himself would know more about how to train for an event of this magnitude than anyone on these boards, but if you want my two cents I would treat it like training for a marathon or triathlon: do one high-volume pull-up session every week, gradually making it longer each time. In addition, I'd do 3-5 lower volume training days each week. You should also probably do lots of push-ups to keep things balanced.
    Last edited by Al_Kavadlo; 02-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

macnip is offline Junior Member
    It actually was not David Goggins. It was a guy here in Ohio.

Man Does 2,501 Pullups! | Men's Health News

I mistook his time. He did pull ups for a little over 15 hours. Problem with Paul is that he is not Primal, so, we can train similarly (although fitness is his profession so he has a little more time for it), but our eating will be completely different.

As for the type of pull ups....I believe they were all full pull ups. He had sanctioned reps there to count his reps as his initial intention was to try and break the guiness world record.

Thank you for the push up recommendation. I definitely want to keep balance within my body.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Teach Al Kavadlo to impersonate you and compensate him handsomely.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like a lot of pull-ups but it's only 2.77 per minute. I'm sure fatigue starts setting in though. For this competition I would seriously look at minimizing total body fat. Every gram of body fat reduction and upper body muscle increase is going to make you more suited for this competition. Consider IF to help maintain lean mass and reduce fat. You want to look just the opposite of a cyclist Big on top - Small on the bottom! IniQuity's advice is good - do as few as possible per minute to stay within reach of the goal. As far as your diet goes - The more you are training the more careful you need to be about getting enough carbohydrate. Endurance is all about recovering quickly. You have 1 year to train - better get started!

UpACreek is online now Member
    Aside from the mostly endurance-based training, don't overlook weighted pull-ups. You may not be ready for them now, but you'll definitely get there training for this. I would add one day per week of weighted effort and continue that until about 3 weeks from the competition, if I were to try something like this. Its a variant of what I do for kayak race training.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    What a great goal!

A little informal I know, but hanging a pull-up bar in a high-traffic area of your home, and doing a few every time you pass is a good way to increase your daily number as well. I agree with UpACreek about the weighted pull-ups.

Good luck!
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast