Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours of Pull ups? page 2

macnip is offline Junior Member
    Awesome ideas guys. Thanks. Weighted pull ups sound great. Any thoughts around heavy weight/low rep training to increase overall strength to compliment pull ups training?

I was thinking about a heavy pull up day once a week (at least initially) and then incorporating compound heavy lifts throughout the week; deadlifts, squats, overhead press and bench.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macnip View Post
    Awesome ideas guys. Thanks. Weighted pull ups sound great. Any thoughts around heavy weight/low rep training to increase overall strength to compliment pull ups training?

I was thinking about a heavy pull up day once a week (at least initially) and then incorporating compound heavy lifts throughout the week; deadlifts, squats, overhead press and bench.
    Personally, I'd spend the first 9 or 10 months getting as strong as possible (and big), doing all the compound stuff you mentioned and emphasizing heavier and heavier weighted pullups and then spend the last 2-3 months getting lean and ripped and working muscular endurance with an emphasis on doing as many pullups as possible. Strength is a more persistent adaptation than muscular endurance. How many pullups can you do in 24 hours at present?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    It actually was not David Goggins. It was a guy here in Ohio.

Man Does 2,501 Pullups! | Men's Health News
    Wow! There are more pull-up freaks out there than I realized!

Best of luck with this endeavor - keep us posted!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Personally, I'd spend the first 9 or 10 months getting as strong as possible (and big), doing all the compound stuff you mentioned and emphasizing heavier and heavier weighted pullups and then spend the last 2-3 months getting lean and ripped and working muscular endurance with an emphasis on doing as many pullups as possible. Strength is a more persistent adaptation than muscular endurance. How many pullups can you do in 24 hours at present?
    Great question about how many pull ups I can do in 24 hours. I have no idea actually. I have never attempted pull ups over a 24 hour period. I'll say this though. I have let myself fall out of shape. I need to lean myself out and develop strength back. My only concern with just focusing on getting as strong as possible for so long is that it may not allow me enough time to develop endurance

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Great question about how many pull ups I can do in 24 hours. I have no idea actually. I have never attempted pull ups over a 24 hour period. I'll say this though. I have let myself fall out of shape. I need to lean myself out and develop strength back. My only concern with just focusing on getting as strong as possible for so long is that it may not allow me enough time to develop endurance
    Endurance doesn't take that long to develop (or atrophy). Strength is the far more persistent adaptation. This, along with running marathons, may be amongst the few exceptions, but usually getting stronger gives you the most bang for your buck.

T NATION | Conditioning is a Sham

What is your true goal? Are you hoping to out-pullup a pullup-champion?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    What a great goal!

A little informal I know, but hanging a pull-up bar in a high-traffic area of your home, and doing a few every time you pass is a good way to increase your daily number as well. I agree with UpACreek about the weighted pull-ups.

Good luck!
    This is a great idea. I did this a couple years back and the last time I "rep'd out" (about 3 months ago) I did 47 strict. I was completely exhausted and probably couldn't do another one for at least an hour after that, but it does help having that thing where you can use it all the time. Mine is right next to my tread-desk.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Endurance doesn't take that long to develop (or atrophy). Strength is the far more persistent adaptation. This, along with running marathons, may be amongst the few exceptions, but usually getting stronger gives you the most bang for your buck.

T NATION | Conditioning is a Sham

What is your true goal? Are you hoping to out-pullup a pullup-champion?
    My true goal would be to out-rep (or out-pullup) this guy. So, overall volume is my goal. Of course, I can take as long of a rest period in between each of my sets as I would like. So, developing strength through heavy weight lifting could be very advantageous. I like this way of thinking.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Sweet Jeezabel, I love pullups and I don't think I'd ever want to see how many I can do in 24 hours. But I agree on just doing a metric crapton of regular pullups and weight lifting, and adding one day/week of weighted pullups. I love weighted pullups--current pullup workout is 5 sets of 8 reps with 55 pounds on a weight belt.

I think I am going to focus on speed/explosion as well. Work on shortening the amount of time it takes me to complete 6 reps (I will ramp the rep number up as time goes along). This should help me incorporate the most muscles and allow a longer rest time in between my sets.

I am going to baseline my pull ups today. It is going to be sad. I am thinking I am only going to be able to do 5-7 at once. Luckily I have a year to get this worked out.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So...I'm in trouble. I can do 3 in a row. That's right, 3. I did sets of 2 after that to work to 10 reps. Then moved on to overhead press, front squats, deadlifts, clean and press and incline DB press, dips, push ups. A lot of exercises, but not a ton of sets. I am definitely out of shape. I have a lost a lot of strength since the surgery I had last May and have a logn road ahead of me.

Any other ideas or thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast