Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beef Heart: Traditional vs. Grass Fed page 2

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Heart is low in fat anyway, so you could definitely worry less about the crap that accumulates in animal fat that is so worrisome about CAFO meat.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what heart you're getting, but when I'm done eating heart, my mouth is just coated in fat.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    I don't know what heart you're getting, but when I'm done eating heart, my mouth is just coated in fat.
    "You know you're primal when" you say something like this. I can't even imagine what someone outside the community would think upon hearing that.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    "You know you're primal when" you say something like this. I can't even imagine what someone outside the community would think upon hearing that.
    Shit Paleo People Say - YouTube

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Heart is low in fat anyway, so you could definitely worry less about the crap that accumulates in animal fat that is so worrisome about CAFO meat.
    Our beef hearts come liberally covererd in fat. Perhaps yours was 'trimmed' before you got it?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I figure it's honoring the animal to eat the organs even if the animal was raised in confinement for part of its life.
    Yeah, I didn't even look at the issue from that angle, but that's a good point. Especially the heart, which seems to always be considered sacred in some way by hunting peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'd eat conventional organs fat and all. I see it this way.... if you were willing to eat the muscle meat the organs actually do not contain any more or less of whatever your trying to avoid, but you get a much bigger nutritional punch.

Heck I got grass fed lamb liver thawing in the fridge, but my wife didn't see it and cooked up some supermarket special chicken livers for dinner (1$/lb....pfft, I aint complaining). Anyway its fine. i downed my half pound
    Yeah, that's right where I stand on the issue. I figure the toxin load of occasional CAFO-organ-eaters like us is far lower than people who eat CW muscle meat all the time and you get the benefit of the extra nutrients. I eat conventional liver or whatever when I haven't had a chance to get out to one of the farms where I buy stuff or put in a US Wellness meats order.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    The heart is really a muscle, so while there's nothing wrong with eating it, it's not really the same as the other organ meats, nutritionally.
    Organs are smooth muscle, what we consider "muscle meats" are skeletal muscle. I consider heart to be one of the most nutrient dense types of tissue, behind probably liver and maybe bone marrow.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    A must watch. LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    A must watch. LOL
    Totally agree, great video!

lrichards31 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Grass-fed/Grass finished meats in Pittsburgh

Hey there! I can help you with Grass-fed meats. I work for Big Horn Ranch in Pittsfield, Pa and we are currently working on a route in the Pittsburgh area. We will be at the Farm to Table event on March 21st and 22nd. Stop by and visit us or check out our website. Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12