Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery store revalation page

friesiangrl is offline Member

Grocery store revalation

Shop Now
    Every now and then it just strikes me......usually while gathering the weeks eats at the grocery store.....how horribly misaligned the general public is with true healthy eating. (I was one of them just under a year ago.)

Yesterday, I'm checking out at the supermarket, loading up the conveyor with my whole chicken, block romano cheese, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, avacados, blueberries, mac nuts, full fat cream, uncured bacon etc and I notice the woman behind me begin to unload her cart.

...Weight Watchers deserts, "100 calorie packs" of cookies and crackers and boxes of cereal, bread, baked potato chips, cardboard boxed everything.....

It's sad, really. She was definitely in excess and not in shape, inside or out. Aware but unaware.

Shopping for food has become a surreal experience, like I'm floating in a sea of gluten zombies addicted to cheap easy eating.

A revalation every single time. I'm so thankful I was compelled to research the Primal Blueprint. A life changing event. I'm fit and free and unencumbered. Empowered.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    The fiance and I also find ourselves silently judging other people's shopping. I often find myself nodding as some 40-something housewife with two kids in tow unloads piles of veg, dairy and meat... just to almost growl as she adds the "kiddie-snacks" onto the conveyor-belt. That isn't even healthy by CW standards, but so many parents seem to keep their kids permanently going from lethargic to hyper by "appeasing" them with sugar. And the idea that all the good food may not "cancel out" the negative properties of the "treats" doesn't even seem to pass through their heads. No number of apples, sugar-free yoghurts and chicken thighs will "cancel out" three chocolate bars a day.

Another thing we notice is how ill other humans look. The healthier we get, the more we notice the subtle signs of illness around us: inflamed faces, severe acne, rosacea, dry skin, "skinny-fat" limbs, 20-somethings wrapped up when it's only 8C outside, brittle nails, people who are always "hungry"...
    You can even associate ailments with people's shopping carts. A skinny-fat person can be seen loading vegetarian junk-food onto the conveyor-belt, someone with a cart full of cake and refined bread buys some acid-neutralizers (for reflux and heart-burn), a vegan with an inflamed face unpiles half a cart of pasta, a girl with acne, brittle nails and dry skin throws almost 2kg of cookies and chocolate into her basket every week...
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friesiangrl View Post

...Weight Watchers deserts, "100 calorie packs" of cookies and crackers and boxes of cereal, bread, baked potato chips, cardboard boxed everything.....

Shopping for food has become a surreal experience, like I'm floating in a sea of gluten zombies addicted to cheap easy eating.
    The only thing I disagree with you on is "cheap". All that processed, boxed food is quite expensive. So is sliced bread wrapped in plastic bags.
    I totally understand and keep telling myself that I shouldn't be bothered by what other people eat, but somehow it still does. And it's real sad that I was almost like them just two years ago.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure you would be silently judging me at the grocery store too. I buy very little produce at the grocery store. Almost all my produce I buy a market where it's cheaper and fresher. My cart is going to look like a mishmash of dairy, household goods, and the non primal staples I allow the rest of my family.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    My cart is going to look like a mishmash of dairy, household goods, and the non primal staples I allow the rest of my family.
    That's pretty much what mine looks like, too.

My boyfriend eats cereal, bread and pasta still (though not as much as he used to, thankfully) so my cart usually contains butter, raw cheese, avocados, bacon and canned coconut milk... as well as potato bread, Honey Nut Cheerios, 2% milk, and peanut butter (aside from the household goods).

But on the occasion where I'm picking up Primal stuff I've run low on, I do find it entertaining when I put my full-fat raw cheese, three packs of uncured bacon, 2 dozen eggs and three bags of spinach on the conveyor... while the lady behind me has two cases of canned diet ginger ale, fat-free vanilla yogurt, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, and a carton of egg substitute. Then I remember how I used to buy the same crap not too long ago!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    At my last trip to Whole Foods the cashier guessed that I was trying Paleo based on my purchases! Apparently she'd gotten to know other customers who've talked about it, and was planning to try it too.
    I guess for someone with some knowledge about it, it was kind of obvious since I was getting two kinds of fish, a cut of grass-fed beef, Kerrygold butter, virgin cocanut oil, apple cider vinegar, and kelp noodles. I don't buy my produce from there, it's too freaking expensive!

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, the revelation is how far I've come in a short time. What seems obvious to me now, really wasn't just a few months ago.

As for cost, I thought primal would be dearer but I am feeding a whole extra person this way on the same amount of money.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm guilty of peeking in other people's carts too. Sometimes it's appalling what they buy. Sometimes I have sympathy. Sometimes you just want to grab them by the shoulders and shake some sense into them.

Through the summer my grocery shopping is limited to coffee, chocolate, cat food, and toiletries. Meat, eggs, and butter all come from the butcher. Produce comes from local farms or farmers markets. The cashiers probably think I never eat food. I have had people ask me if I was vegetarian before. I simply stated that, no... I just don't buy my meat from grocery stores. They seemed confused- lol

I find it's better to change minds one at a time, starting with the people you know.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    My supermarket shopping generally involves only toilet paper, tuna and olive oil.
    People prob think I am starving my family LOL

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've been grocery cart watching for 20 years. The public will never catch on; at this pt they are too misinformed to understand anything regarding nutrition.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast