Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery store revalation page 9

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaster555 View Post
    But how did you catch on? I'm willing to bet you're misinformed about something regarding nutrition right now that someone else knows about and you have no clue. You're being just like those people. You're just acting on what you "know."

If you're watching people's carts at the market and looking at them in disgust, sounds like you have some issues yourself.
    I seem to find that people aren't so much "misinformed", as, to quote my fiance, "violently uninformed". They genuinely believe all the CW crap and, the more evidence you show them, the more aggressively they oppose it. They don't WANT to be informed, they don't WANT to change and, most of all, they don't WANT to think.

Think about eggs: even CW medicine now accepts that eggs are healthy. Enough studies have been done to show that they don't raise your cholesterol and everything else about them, even in CW-eyes, is healthy. But most people who believe in CW STILL reject eating "too many eggs" because it will "raise your cholesterol". They are surrounded by studies and Drs saying "sorry guys, we got it wrong, eggs are great for you!" and they STILL don't see it. You can read them a study about eggs and cholesterol and they will continue to insist that eggs are bad for your heart. They aren't MISinformed, someone misninformed is open to accept change, to look at new pespectives and to inform themselves. MISinformed implies they are informed at all. They are, actually, UNinformed, in that they aren't informed and violently uninformed in that they violently reject any attempt to inform them.

Violently uninformed = "I am right. I need no evidence. I am right. Because I am."
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Kochin, I live in an apartment complex of ten units. If I had to guess, there are maybe three of us here that have read anything about nutrition or health in years. One is a foody in that he loves quality food and cooks all his family's meals and the other is a pescatarian. Neither is primal, but they are eating a hell of a lot better than most folks. She even knows how few carbs she has to eat to get to ketosis.

Anyway, that's only one in three of us in the complex (albeit a small sample space) that are reading whether we're getting it right or not. Most people don't want to do the work in their brains. Wave the promise of a bikini body (or the male equivalent of that) in front of most people and they'll eat whatever you tell them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friesiangrl View Post
    Every now and then it just strikes me......usually while gathering the weeks eats at the grocery store.....how horribly misaligned the general public is with true healthy eating...
    So much so that people go into shock if your cart is NOT full of trash.

Last time I was in the states at QFC the cashier looked at all the veggies and was like "uhh you eat wayyy too healthy dude".

It's abnormal not too have a family pack of Oreos.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoGirl View Post
    I also feel that a lot of people are not very happy at the grocery store; I can feel the negative energy and it's not hard to see it on their faces!
    Agree.

Actually this is even more noticeable if you spend significant time outside of Western society, then go back. It's shocking to see it with fresh eyes.

Last time I was in QFC it felt really uncomfortable, like I was surrounded by a bunch of negative awkward zombies with pent up rage. During one of my check outs the girl was actually slamming my vegies angrily as she scanned them. LOL, what did my carrots do to you??

I really believe it is emotional disturbance / mental illness due to the diet, and other environmental factors.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    My typical grocery cart would get a thumbs-down from y'all. Half real food for me and half, mostly disgusting, not-food for my husband. I gave up trying to convert him; he's read the books, seen my heath turn-around and is still hell-bent on diabetes and/or heart disease.
    Frustrating isn't it?

My mom's fridge is ice cream, jello, vodka. She can't figure out why she is having problems with depression and energy. Any guesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post

I seem to find that people aren't so much "misinformed", as, to quote my fiance, "violently uninformed". They genuinely believe all the CW crap and, the more evidence you show them, the more aggressively they oppose it. They don't WANT to be informed, they don't WANT to change and, most of all, they don't WANT to think.
    Sorry, can I ask what CW is??

Haven't watched TV in 13 years, ha I find sometimes I just don't know what the hell people are talking about.

Anyhow everyone keeps trashing "CW" so I gotta know man...

cwodavids is offline Junior Member
    Conventional Wisdom

Dave

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Conventional wisdom

Auray is offline Junior Member
    After a quarter of a century working in a grocery store, I know that most shoppers simply fill their carts with frustrated habits. They are very eager for anything new that offers, or just promises, a simpler, easier or more satisfying alternative. Most are just confused and jaded after decades of conflicting dietary advice and fads. I'm always fascinated when they run in and demand the latest thing Dr. O. has recommended.....that's a long flight to Sweden for those fresh lingonberries. The advice we grocery store workers give to health newbies is to shop the perimeter of the store. I think things are changing for the better, most shoppers rate the produce dept. as the most influential reason for choosing to shop at a store by a wide margin, almost always followed by the meat dept. Now it is up to them to demand the organic produce and well pastured meats. The votes you cast every week with your grocery budgets give you more influence than you know. Prices, availability and quality of organic produce have all improved as the demand and interest has increased.

All you well-educated customers DO make a difference!

amyeek is offline Member
    An addiction of mine is logging on to American supermarket websites and shouting out all the weird stuff I find to my OH. The stuff it the fruit n veg section is insane, often including things like slices of toffee coated apples or something - wha? When we were in California for a few weeks last year, we dropped into a small Walmart to wander round and gawp. Liked Ralphs though, no real complaints there, felt like a Morrisons, my favourite supermarket over here. Of course we did our actual shopping at the awesome markets and roadside stalls, but it was fun to go and have a nose about!
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs
    Goal - Healthy, lean, happy, somewhere around 9 stone.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast