Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery store revalation page 6

Maureen M is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    See?????? That shit crey

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    I've never really looked at other people's carts to determine if they're healthy or not unless it's glaringly obvious one way or another.
    I usually look and guess if they're single, married, kids etc.

Since starting back up primal, I do look now.
    I hate seeing carts pushed by moms in their yoga pants, fit and slim with half their cart filled with healthy food.... while the other half is filled with sugary junk for the kids. /facepalm
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Oh God, Coffe Mate. I haven't been able to tolerate dairy since I was little, and before paleo I used to get so excited about that stuff because it was non-dairy, so that made it fine for me to dump in my coffee every day! Then one day, not long after going paleo, I wondered, "if there's no dairy in this, what the hell IS it?" I don't know which is worse, the fact that it turned out to be made of corn and soy, or that it took me so friggin' long to ask myself that question.
    +1

And then came one of my first primal "ouches" on the price front. At the time (last summer) a quart of Coffeemate sugar free was $1.99. Half 'n' half was $2.99. Pastured half 'n' half was $3.99. Since I'd originally switched from half 'n' half to Coffeemate because of bgh and resultant low levels of pus in milk, the middle option wasn't an option for me. So in one move, the cost of my coffee whitener doubled.

One of the reasons folks in the U.S. are scowling when they go to the grocery store is that food prices in the last two years have gone up more than most people's raises. I noticed when I first switched the kind of eggs I bought that I was paying almost twice as much as factory eggs. Now it's only 50% more. So even in a year, the factory eggs have gone up quite a bit. I blame it on unionized chickens. *chuckle*
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    My trip to the supermarket last week I was following this couple, think large wife with super sized husband leaning on his shopping cart like its the only thing keeping him upright. She says to him "all we need now is the cereal". Oh yeah, you can imagine in my head I'm yelling "yes thats all you need".

Then a few isles over I come across a plump younger lady standing in front of the soy milk, proudly telling her SO "just hang on a minute, last time I got low fat soy milk it was horrible, I'm going to get the full fat this time". Again, my brain is just screaming "you seriously think full fat will make it taste any better?".

If only it wasn't socially unacceptable to holler this stuff at people as you walk through the shop. I'd be giving them all a thorough education!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Again, my brain is just screaming "you seriously think full fat will make it taste any better?"
    In this poor girl's defense, full-fat anything usually does taste better... It's just that soy milk (or "soy juice," as Lewis Black says) is gross.

Little Women is offline Member
    I'm too busy trying to keep my kids from loudly exclaiming, "EW! Mom, how can they put that nasty, bright colored stuff in their mouths!" to look at other people's carts, most of the time.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Forty years ago, when I first moved away from home, we'd go shopping once a week:

5 one-pound packages ground beef
    5 packages Hamburger Helper (various flavors)
    Instant coffee
    Milk (for the coffee mostly)
    a dozen eggs
    Bologna, cheese, and sliced white bread (for his sandwiches)
    2 cartons Marlboro red

And I'm sure we got a couple of cans of tuna and SPAM occasionally. The first two items on the list took care of all the dinners I "cooked" at home for the week.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I hate the "specials" at grocery stores. None ever pertain to me- it's always like 3 cases of soda for $10 or buy 2 get 1 free ice cream. It's like an invitation to become a fat ass when you get your VIC card.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I caught some paleo person judging my cart yesterday. Knox, mexican coke, dates, brie cheese, ice cream, bunch of discounted ripe bananas, maple syrup and some potatoes. I gave her a little wink when I saw her shaking her head with a cart full of bacon and looking like she was so mad. She dropped her spaghetti so fast and looked flustered as fug after that.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Wow Derpy, You're lucky you got to spot a paleo in the grocery store, all I ever see are vegetarians. And speaking of vegetarians tomorrow we are having some veg. guests over for my son's birthday. I have to go to the store today and get some things that will work for both groups. More than likely I will have to make separate dishes. To make things more difficult our son hasn't been eating any starches, dairy or sugar, he's going to make an exception for his cake which I will be making; it's his favorite hazelnut meringue filled with whip cream and coarsely chopped dark chocolate and raspberries. Far from paleo but at least there's no wheat in it.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast