Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery store revalation page 5

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've gotten to the point where I buy so much food online that I almost never see a grocery store. However, since I'm not going to pay $7.50/dozen for eggs, I do occasionally have to go. It's pretty much eggs, half'n'half, and butter, with a quick stop to see if any veggies or fish are on sale. In and out. I don't really notice other shoppers and I don't shop weekends or the first 10 days of the month. I wish there were still 'milkmen' who delivered. I could become about 90% shut-in.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I was recently in Costco and thought of this thread, so I checked out the cart ahead of me. And said to myself, "Lose the bagels and the frozen burritoes and that would be a pretty decent cart."

JamesTheIdolStevens is offline Junior Member
    This thread (and this entire forum, and especially the 'funny CW' thread) have made me become extremely aware and alert about what other people are buying. And it's kinda scary. The other week I saw a woman with Atkins (soy protein) bars, store-brand Slimfast-esque shakes, a gallon of skim milk, strawberry special K, and a couple of those corn-syrup-laced Yoplait yogurts.
    I felt so bad that this poor woman was on the generic CW 'diet'. The Atkins bars kind of threw me off, though, because everything else she was buying was low-fat and pure sugar.

I'll occasionally hitch a ride to the (local chain) grocery store with my mom on the weekends. I'm kind of the budget-college kid archetype.. which is why I love going to the store with my mom who pays for things tbh.

Anyway, we'll have shared family stuff (bananas, broccoli, wild-caught fish), me-stuff (almonds, frozen berries, avocados, a couple of [CAFO/conventional, I know] beef patties) and then her-stuff (Coffee Mate 'all natural' low fat sugary creamer, and some of those aforementioned Yoplait yogurts). I can just imagine a paleo enthusiast standing behind us with a checklist, getting to those last two items and saying "SO CLOSE!"

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheIdolStevens View Post
    I felt so bad that this poor woman was on the generic CW 'diet'. The Atkins bars kind of threw me off, though, because everything else she was buying was low-fat and pure sugar.
    I guess the atkins bar is hedging her bets. After all, you can't have too many 'health' foods, can you?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Imma just leave this here:

What Should We Call Paleo Life | CHECKING OUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PURCHASES IN THE GROCERY LINE

Also man, paleo-foraging in Costco is an entirely new skill I've had to learn. On the plus side, my trips go a lot faster cause I just hit up the meats, veggies, nuts, canned fish, good cheeses, and paper products and then I'm pretty much done. On the down side, my efficiency makes me even more frustrated with all the other shoppers blocking the aisles as they stare at crates of cereal and flock around the sample trays.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Oh God, Coffe Mate. I haven't been able to tolerate dairy since I was little, and before paleo I used to get so excited about that stuff because it was non-dairy, so that made it fine for me to dump in my coffee every day! Then one day, not long after going paleo, I wondered, "if there's no dairy in this, what the hell IS it?" I don't know which is worse, the fact that it turned out to be made of corn and soy, or that it took me so friggin' long to ask myself that question.

itsybitsy is offline Member
    I get sad when I see an overweight person deciding between all the packaged diet foods. I want to say, "there are other options."

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    My typical grocery cart would get a thumbs-down from y'all. Half real food for me and half, mostly disgusting, not-food for my husband. I gave up trying to convert him; he's read the books, seen my heath turn-around and is still hell-bent on diabetes and/or heart disease.

Maureen M is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Oh God, Coffe Mate. I haven't been able to tolerate dairy since I was little, and before paleo I used to get so excited about that stuff because it was non-dairy, so that made it fine for me to dump in my coffee every day! Then one day, not long after going paleo, I wondered, "if there's no dairy in this, what the hell IS it?" I don't know which is worse, the fact that it turned out to be made of corn and soy, or that it took me so friggin' long to ask myself that question.
    I think the point where I realized how terrible that stuff is for you is when they used it as an explosive on Mythbusters. They used about ten pounds of non dairy creamer and that shit went up like gasoline. Crazy and scary that people eat that stuff.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen M View Post
    I think the point where I realized how terrible that stuff is for you is when they used it as an explosive on Mythbusters. They used about ten pounds of non dairy creamer and that shit went up like gasoline. Crazy and scary that people eat that stuff.

Well to be fair, the explosive properties largely come from the high surface area of the small particles. Lots of types of organic-matter dust is explosive. For example, flour--------waaaaaitaminute.........
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast