Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery store revalation page 4

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The woman in front of me tonight had mostly real food. The guy behind me had 6 giant loaves of foil-wrapped garlic bread.

Sandman is offline Member
    It's a surreal experience, for sure. What strikes me most now is just how large the grocery stores are - and how I have zero interest or need for 80% of what is in them.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    What strikes me most now is just how large the grocery stores are - and how I have zero interest or need for 80% of what is in them.
    This. I used to think a grocery store had a good selection if it had the varieties of granola bars/ canned soup/ etc I liked. I don't need those entire AISLES now (okay, I still get Kind bars, but those are pretty primal except for the peanuts). Instead I judge supermarkets by their bacon options.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    How many brands of plain dark chocolate over 80% they carry.

Sandman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How many brands of plain dark chocolate over 80% they carry.
    True sign of a great grocery store. Especially if you have several local chocolate options.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think the negative energy is for a variety of reasons. People are tired and in a hurry. We tend to "hate" on things we don't like or want to do because that makes it so much more pleasant :/, but I still contend some people are anxious around food, have unhealthy relationships with their food, and don't feel comfortable at the grocery store. I used to not like shopping at all but consciously decided not to infuse negative energy into the experience of picking out my family's food and cooking it. Picking out food for yourself and your family can be an act of love and generosity and certainly cooking it is, so I personally try to be upbeat, happy and positive while I do these things. I do now find this easier at the farmer's market and my little health food store. I don't feel the same negative vibes there. Of course, going to the farmer's market is almost a social outing with live music for me. It's a great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by GioMetry View Post
    I think you guys are reading too much into the "depressed faces" at the grocery store. I don't think I look too happy when I'm at the local Publix/Kroger either. It's usually late in the day after work and there are too many people crowding my space.

I do enjoy grocery shopping slightly more than before primal though. Mainly because I only shop around the edges of the store.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

MorganGirl is offline Member
    I'm so guilty of watching what others buy! Though I don't shop at a regular grocery store, it's a local organic grocery that I've shopped for years, it's still interesting to me to watch watch how others shop. Especially since they believe that a cart of cookies, chips and cereal is healthy because its organic!

pfair143 is offline Member
    It's not only what they buy but the cost. Good grief. How do they afford boxes and boxes of cereals, cases of soft drinks, big jugs of sugar water juice, bags of chips and cookies and all of that frozen convenience food which will probably need the addition of fast food to complete the week? I was appointed to bring a bag of chips to one of our ladies get-togethers and just about had apoplexy at the cost of $3.59. The last time I had bought chips they were .89 for the largest bag (ok it was a long time ago). But for $3.59, you could buy more than 10lbs of potatoes. Add all of this cost to the cost of health and I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    God, my neighbor eats absolute shit now that she has a "man". They just buy crap- mountain dew, sugar cereals, always has cake and chips laying around, McDonalds.... She has gained 30 lbs this year. The sad thing is her child has also gotten heavy.

She is talking about not having money for good food, yet spent $20 at McDonalds on Saturday for the 3 of them (shakes, burgers, fries). For $15, I fed my husband and I organic ground lamb burgers (1/3 lbers), asparagus and sweet potatoes. And I had a leftover lamb burger. (ie, I could have fed 3 of us).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have never been into cereal. (My pre-primal breakfasts were always toast-based.) There is something gross about drenching little flakes of things in milk and eating it before it disintegrates. The "healthy" cereal usually tastes bad, and the sugar-coated kinds are unhealthy even by CW standards. Feeding your kids glorified candy in the morning seems like an obviously terrible idea.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast