Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 31, female, started PB 233lbs, need help with macros and calorie intake. page

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member

31, female, started PB 233lbs, need help with macros and calorie intake.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started PB 1/26/13 5'4 at 233 lbs. my first week i lost 5.2 lbs , my 2nd 2.2lbs, so i now weigh 225lbs. but for the last 10 days ive shown no progress, the scale will yoyo .6 lbs in either direction. i know 10 days isnít much of a plateau but ive gotten a couple people to jump on the PB bandwagon and all seem to be losing more rapidly in the first month than i am. My husband (start weight 257) has lost 14.4 lbs in 2 weeks, a friend (start weight 210) has lost 13.8lbs also in 2 weeks. i did have a thyroidectomy nearly 2 months ago but i am on synthyroid 150mg daily. Coincidentally my mother (start weight 220) who introduced me to PB is also on synthyroid 150mg ( though she still has her thyroid its just hypo)and has lost 18lbs in her first month of PB. so while id like to blame my slower results on my lack of thyroid i just look at my mom who is 20 years older and on the same dose of meds and think thats not the case.

at 225lbs and only 24 days into my primal experience i dont think i should be plateauing?! i am going to get my labs done today to check how my thyroid levels are doing but i think they should be fine(heck they might even lower my dose and then Iíd be in real trouble!)

Iíve been eating about 1300-1600 cals a day (on average in the 1550's), fat: 100 gm, Protein: 79 gm, Carb: 50 gm. sometimes i go a little high on fat or protein but the carbs i sometimes struggle to hit 50gm. Iím 100% primal since day one, purging my house of anything with grains and sugars and vegetable oils, i even gave up my beloved coffee. i donít do grass fed beef but i try to buy organic when i can.

Exercise: walk for 45-60 mins 2 times a week. zumba for 30 mins 2-3 times a week.

So should i lower my calories? Are my macros wrong? Change my exercise? i know if i go by mark's suggested 1-2 lbs a week that i am right on track but for someone who started obese i think a bigger loss is usually normal the first month.
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    I started PB 1/26/13 5'4 at 233 lbs. my first week i lost 5.2 lbs , my 2nd 2.2lbs, so i now weigh 225lbs. but for the last 10 days ive shown no progress, the scale will yoyo .6 lbs in either direction. i know 10 days isn’t much of a plateau but ive gotten a couple people to jump on the PB bandwagon and all seem to be losing more rapidly in the first month than i am. My husband (start weight 257) has lost 14.4 lbs in 2 weeks, a friend (start weight 210) has lost 13.8lbs also in 2 weeks. i did have a thyroidectomy nearly 2 months ago but i am on synthyroid 150mg daily. Coincidentally my mother (start weight 220) who introduced me to PB is also on synthyroid 150mg ( though she still has her thyroid its just hypo)and has lost 18lbs in her first month of PB. so while id like to blame my slower results on my lack of thyroid i just look at my mom who is 20 years older and on the same dose of meds and think thats not the case.

at 225lbs and only 24 days into my primal experience i dont think i should be plateauing?! i am going to get my labs done today to check how my thyroid levels are doing but i think they should be fine(heck they might even lower my dose and then I’d be in real trouble!)

I’ve been eating about 1300-1600 cals a day (on average in the 1550's), fat: 100 gm, Protein: 79 gm, Carb: 50 gm. sometimes i go a little high on fat or protein but the carbs i sometimes struggle to hit 50gm. I’m 100% primal since day one, purging my house of anything with grains and sugars and vegetable oils, i even gave up my beloved coffee. i don’t do grass fed beef but i try to buy organic when i can.

Exercise: walk for 45-60 mins 2 times a week. zumba for 30 mins 2-3 times a week.

So should i lower my calories? Are my macros wrong? Change my exercise? i know if i go by mark's suggested 1-2 lbs a week that i am right on track but for someone who started obese i think a bigger loss is usually normal the first month.
    I'd add sprinting if you think you're up to it, and stop starving yourself. I'd think that eating 1550 kCal/day for a person your size would send a serious famine message to your ancient genes. I'd start closely guarding my fat stores too if I were your body.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'd add sprinting if you think you're up to it, and stop starving yourself. I'd think that eating 1550 kCal/day for a person your size would send a serious famine message to your ancient genes. I'd start closely guarding my fat stores too if I were your body.
    i actually added a few sprints to my walk yesterday and it wasnt a problem. so stop starving myself? add calories? how many? i dont feel like im starving( with the exception of yesterday because i skipped lunch and only end up having a 1145 cal day) eating more is not a problem for me hence the reason i weigh so much! maybe i should bump up the cals to 1800?
    Veronica

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlo1125 View Post
    i actually added a few sprints to my walk yesterday and it wasnt a problem. so stop starving myself? add calories? how many? i dont feel like im starving( with the exception of yesterday because i skipped lunch and only end up having a 1145 cal day) eating more is not a problem for me hence the reason i weigh so much! maybe i should bump up the cals to 1800?
    If you think adding 6 or 8 bites of food will convince your primal body that "hunting is good" rather than "hunting is tough."

I weigh less than 150 pounds and I'd be starving at 1800 calories a day for any extended period of time, but I'm an active guy.

I can't tell you what the right number is for you, or whether you even need to be counting at all (I don't, but I'm different from you in several relevant ways, as mentioned above). I think those matters are both really individual.

I do think it sounds like your body is convinced you're living through a famine. I'd try to convince it otherwise.

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Add some weight training. I think many women don't give wt training enough credit for health/wellness. Don't focus on scale wt so much, focus on how you FEEL, not what a number on the scale reads. "Results" can mean so many different things, improved gym performance, increased stamina from walking, sleeping better, feeling better over all, etc...don't make it about scale wt.

If you've never lifted wts before:
    Starting Strength

If you're familiar with wt training already, this is a good site IMO. I really like her workouts

Store - Nia Shanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    If you think adding 6 or 8 bites of food will convince your primal body that "hunting is good" rather than "hunting is tough."

I weigh less than 150 pounds and I'd be starving at 1800 calories a day for any extended period of time, but I'm an active guy.

I can't tell you what the right number is for you, or whether you even need to be counting at all (I don't, but I'm different from you in several relevant ways, as mentioned above). I think those matters are both really individual.

I do think it sounds like your body is convinced you're living through a famine. I'd try to convince it otherwise.
    i just keep seeing here (and in the book)that calories matter, i figured if i followed the books advice on macros and watched my calories id get somewhere. i think its also important that i say that im not counting calories per meal, i just eat my primal foods and enter them at the end of the day into myfitnesspal. what i usually end up is in the 1500 range, some days its closer to 1300 and ill see that im way below my fat/protien/fat and ill actually go eat a snack to get my numbers up. so i think if i didnt enter my foods into a calorie counter id actually consistantly come in below 1500.

sample menu from my day:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs in tbsp butter, 2 slices bacon, Green smoothie( baby spinach, 2 chunks frozen banana, 1/4 cup frozen berries, 1 tbsp flax meal, 1/4 cup full fat plain yogurt)

Lunch: 4 oz protein, big ass salad or cup of cooked vegetables with oil or butter (sometimes add and ounce of raw cheddar to salad). OR 1 oz prosciutto , 1/2 cup cottage cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado if i dont want to cook.

dinner: 4 oz of protein with Cauliflower or squash with oil, butter etc

snacks: ounce of almonds OR ounce of prosciutto OR hard boiled egg OR piece of 70% dark chocolate OR 2 prunes
    Last edited by vlo1125; 02-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Veronica

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Veronica, you are likely to get a lot of advice, about what exactly to tweak. Take a look at it, and go with your gut instinct. For example, if you are not hungry, do not feel fatigued and lethargic, do not increase calories. If an elimination (dairy, fruit, nuts) feel unsustainable, do not do it. If Zumba makes you happy, do not abandon it for the barbell (though give the barbell a try, you might like it). Generally, go for what feels the most painless tweak that makes sense.

Once you decided on something to try, try this ONE thing, and one thing ONLY for 2 to 4 weeks, keeping the rest the same. If no fat loss results (inches), then add the next thing to try.

Unfortunately, the nature of our physiology is such that you could be actually doing the best thing, but not see fat loss for a while while the body figures things out.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieSB View Post
    Add some weight training. I think many women don't give wt training enough credit for health/wellness. Don't focus on scale wt so much, focus on how you FEEL, not what a number on the scale reads. "Results" can mean so many different things, improved gym performance, increased stamina from walking, sleeping better, feeling better over all, etc...don't make it about scale wt.

If you've never lifted wts before:
    Starting Strength

If you're familiar with wt training already, this is a good site IMO. I really like her workouts

Store - Nia Shanks
    Thanks, have been thinking about starting to incorporate lifting.
    Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Veronica, you are likely to get a lot of advice, about what exactly to tweak. Take a look at it, and go with your gut instinct. For example, if you are not hungry, do not feel fatigued and lethargic, do not increase calories. If an elimination (dairy, fruit, nuts) feel unsustainable, do not do it. If Zumba makes you happy, do not abandon it for the barbell (though give the barbell a try, you might like it). Generally, go for what feels the most painless tweak that makes sense.

Once you decided on something to try, try this ONE thing, and one thing ONLY for 2 to 4 weeks, keeping the rest the same. If no fat loss results (inches), then add the next thing to try.

Unfortunately, the nature of our physiology is such that you could be actually doing the best thing, but not see fat loss for a while while the body figures things out.
    Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of trying to tweak one thing at a time, I thought about eliminating nuts and have cut back on them but I don't think I could ever give up dairy so god help me if that's the reason I'm not losing Lol!

I'm gonna look into lifting, didnt think I'd have to jump I to that this early into being primal but maybe it'll help.
    Veronica

For me that is too much sugar...banana, berries, prunes and chocolate. Some people can handle that much but for me that equals slow to no weight loss.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast