Thread: Advice on cycling to work page

HERC0 is offline Member

Advice on cycling to work

Shop Now
    Hey guys

I've just bought a brand new hybrid bicycle for commuting to work. The distance is 5 miles, 1 of which is almost completely downhill (on the way to work), the rest is a mixture of up and downhill at a mild gradient and flat.

Question 1

My current daily routine is to only eat 2 meals - a lunch and an evening meal. In the afternoon I might snack on nuts/seeds and/or berries, but from my evening meal to lunch the next day I fast.

Will I be able to continue doing this when I start cycling? Or should I have something in the morning before I leave?

If I ever go to the gym in the morning before work I would have 1 hard boiled egg before the workout and 2 immediately after for protein/recovery. Should I do something similar to this?

Question 2

Can anyone who does cycle to work share their methods for getting their shirts/suits to and from work for the week? As I will be too sweaty to wear my work clothes during the cycle, and am worried everything will get creased in my already-full back pack.

Thanks for your advice!

lorichka6 is online now Senior Member
    5 miles isn't much of a bike ride so I wouldn't think it would really necessitate much of a change in your eating. If you are IFing for a reason I don't think it will impact it much. But if you are IFing "just because" and find yourself hungrier... then eat In terms of the recovery... if you pedal easy, 5 miles can really be the equivalent of a walk, in my opinion. Would you need recovery from a 30 minute walk? On the other hand, if you hammer the whole way in and get there is 15 minutes, maybe you'll want something.

When I used to commute by bike I was at a casual office so if my jeans got wrinkled in my bag it was ok I know some people who commute by bike and they usually drive in on Monday with a week's worth of clothes (2 suits, some shirts, ties, etc) and then biked Tues - Fri. Maybe you can try some of those wrinkle free pants/shirts...?

I miss commuting by bike. Mine was 13 each way and very easily extended on beautiful roads if I felt like it. I got nearly 5000 miles in that spring/summer. Enjoy this opportunity!

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HERC0 View Post
    Hey guys

I've just bought a brand new hybrid bicycle for commuting to work. The distance is 5 miles, 1 of which is almost completely downhill (on the way to work), the rest is a mixture of up and downhill at a mild gradient and flat.

Question 1

My current daily routine is to only eat 2 meals - a lunch and an evening meal. In the afternoon I might snack on nuts/seeds and/or berries, but from my evening meal to lunch the next day I fast.

Will I be able to continue doing this when I start cycling? Or should I have something in the morning before I leave?

If I ever go to the gym in the morning before work I would have 1 hard boiled egg before the workout and 2 immediately after for protein/recovery. Should I do something similar to this?

Regards the number of meals you eat. Try it and seen. After a couple fo days you will know if you feel fmaished, run down, not enough energy. Experinment. It also depends on your goals. Lose weight/gain weight etc. With regards the eggs, once again try it and if you feel good/bad you can gauge it from there. Or at that point come and ask and I have no doubt you will be offered help.

Question 2

Can anyone who does cycle to work share their methods for getting their shirts/suits to and from work for the week? As I will be too sweaty to wear my work clothes during the cycle, and am worried everything will get creased in my already-full back pack.

Have you got shower/changing facilities at work? Is there a place to keep you gear there? Can you maybe drive on say a Monday wen you could drop off the weeks clothes?

Thanks for your advice!
    Answers in bold above my friend.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    And use cycling paths or sidewalks if possible. A cyclist in the middle of a street with no reason, whom you have to overtake against thick flow of opposite trafic, maybe on a winding narrow mountain road, arouses the desire to hold a frying pan out of the window. Just so, without any intention of hitting him, if you know what I mean.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, commuting is a great way to start the day! If your route to work is only 5 miles (mine is about 15), and downhill then you won't be expending a lot of effort to get TO work. Be careful riding on sidewalks, they can be dangerous depending in the number of curb cuts. Drivers pulling in and out of parking lots and driveways are often not thinking about cyclists on the sidewalks. Personally I just stick to riding in the street (unless it is a VERY busy & high speed road without a bike lane) - and you should always ride WITH the flow of traffic. A lot of people were taught when they were young to ride against the flow of traffic and there are lots of reasons why this is bad. I actually feel much safer in the street than on the sidewalk.

When I am commuting I always keep a change or two of clothes at work - it helps that I've an office with a door I can lock. As my own route is mainly downhill, I ride to work at an easy pace and typically leave at 5:30 am.

Stratford_Man is offline Junior Member
    I used to cycle to work in a major urban centre. I got a gym membership across the street from the company I worked for, just so I could ride in hard every morning, and then shower just before work.

I also used a folding bike (a Brompton), which meant I could keep it in the locker at the gym, or under my desk at work.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I commuted by hybrid for 2 years(9 miles each way). I absolutely loved it but circumstances changed so had to start driving again. answers below and some tips:

This is still fine. I didn't eat before I cycled in the morning and had something after. you will struggle at first with hunger. Cycling revs up my hunger big time. I usually just had lunch about 11am to 11.30. and something light about 2-3.

Can anyone who does cycle to work share their methods for getting their shirts/suits to and from work for the week? As I will be too sweaty to wear my work clothes during the cycle, and am worried everything will get creased in my already-full back
    pack.

Buy some panniers for the back of your bike, really useful for carrying things such as your lunch, shoes, socks etc..
    I used to have a weeks worth of shirts and a couple of suits at work which I dropped off at the weekend. I also showered at work before I started work.

Some Tips:
    Carry an inner tube with you, much easier than fixing a puncture on the road.
    Get some decent tyres - will save you about 3 minutes either way at least
    Get a timer - time your journeys and challenge yourself to beat times.
    race past the fatties on expensive road bikes - this was my favourite
    be visible at all time and watch those potholes!
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can probably still eat the same.

I sometimes commute 9 miles to work. I can dress casual so I just ride slowly so that I don't get sweaty. In the past, I have brought my clothes in a panier and changed in the bathroom. You can use baby wipes or paper towels and water to clean up. Maybe bring a small deodorant or whatever else.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    And use cycling paths or sidewalks if possible. A cyclist in the middle of a street with no reason, whom you have to overtake against thick flow of opposite trafic, maybe on a winding narrow mountain road, arouses the desire to hold a frying pan out of the window. Just so, without any intention of hitting him, if you know what I mean.
    It's people with your attitude that cause me to ride in the center of the lane. I want you to hold up behind me until it is safe to pass. I'd rather you not pass me when it is not safe and do idiotic things like cause a front-on wreck out of your own stupidity or force me into the bushes thinking that you "have to" do it. It is not against the law for a cyclist to use the full width of the lane when it is not safe to pass. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PASS when it is not safe for you to do so. It is the law that you have to wait until it is safe.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

kml
    kml is offline Junior Member
    I commute exactly the same distance each day. As sbhikes I ride rather leisurely, so it takes me about 30 minutes, so I am neither sweaty nor do I need brekkie before I leave the house. When I have to dress sharp, I usually take my stuff in my backpack, and only buy clothes that do not crease easily. Also since I hate running I using the way back home for my sprints sometimes.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    In my distant past I had the opportunity to commute on my bike. Around 18 miles, mostly back roads. I learned pretty early on that eating before riding hard was not the best for me. Even when I was dabbling in racing, I did way better using Hammer products than I ever did eating solid food.