Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caloric intake question page

robss is offline Senior Member

Caloric intake question

Shop Now
    I've recently gone primal and I was wondering, how many calories should I be consuming daily?
    I'm petite, 5 feet tall, about 100 lbs.

Thanks!

verdilak is offline Member
    Don't worry about your calories. If you MUST concern yourself on numbers, worry about percentages. What works for for most is a higher fat percentage than protein and only 10-20% carbs from fruits/veggies. And make damn sure to eat when you are hungry, and to eat until you are no longer hungry. That right there will keep your caloric totals down, but it takes willpower to first learn what real hunger is. Then it is smooth sailing.
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    physical calories dont say squat about metabolism and its darn too difficult to start calculating enthropy for your bodyily functions so dont consern yourself with "calories". its a moot point. eat fat and protein untill you are satisfied. stop. repeat.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Sterling is offline Member
    Calories are not a moot point. Robss: if you are looking to lose weight, I'd eat about 1000-1200 calories. If you want to maintain your weight, eat around 1500 calories. These are just rough estimates; but try eating around this caloric level and see how you feel and if your weight is doing what you want it to.

Set your macros at about 40% protein, 30-40% fat, and 20-30% carbs. If you are wanting to rid body fat, make your protein more and carbs less.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    You might want to read the following article by Robert Mcleod on the Physics of Good Calories Bad Calories. He is a physicist.
    http://entropyproduction.blogspot.co...within-95.html

It does not matter how much you eat. It only matters what you eat and when you eat, upto a point.

If you want to get to very low fat percentages, then calorie matters but its not a simple calorie number that you must maintain. Its a whole lot of complicated protocols that must be used for it to work properly.
    You must know when to eat less when to eat more. The specific ratios of protein, fat and carbs, and it must be tailored to your body composition. Not to be done naively. To do it yourself would be very difficult, and frought with dangers, unless you gain a huge amount of knowledge in the bodybuilding folk lore.

More complications happen if you have hormonal problems, which cannot be cured with a good diet alone.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I lost weight (28lbs) without cutting calories so it is not always essential that you do. I would focus on eating primally, avoiding the pizza and beer as often as you can.

I lost around 50lbs by increasing calories ;-), and I am not even primal. I eat a lot of rice.
    I was eating too less routinely, and binging sometimes on junk, because of eating too little.

robss is offline Senior Member
    I just want to make sure I'm eating enough calories so my body doesn't go into starvation mode and my metabolism doesn't slow

Starvation doesn't set in unless you consume less calories consistently for a few days, depends on capabilities. This applies to fasting as well. If you fast for 24hours or even some more a couple of days a week it will not cause starvation.
    Metabolism slows down on a long duration. You can always recharge it by eating large amounts a couple of days in a week.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Eat when you're hungry until you're satisfied, then stop. Your body will take care of the caloric issue on its own. Just eat Primally.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast