Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saturated fat related to Alzhiemers? page

ms sage is offline Member

saturated fat related to Alzhiemers?

Shop Now
    I just watched a segment on the CBS Morning Show regarding brain health. A Dr. (Sorry didn't catch his name) has written a book titled "Power Foods for the Brain." This doctor claims saturated fats found in meat and dairy are damaging to our brain, and may lead to Alzhiemers disease. We should be eating 4 food groups; fruit, veggies, whole grains, and beans.

As someone who is dealing with a family member with this condition, this info concerns me. I eat mainly paleo with dairy. I feel great. Plenty of energy, loss of belly fat, ect. But I don't want to trade my brain health for it!

This flies on the face of what we believe paleo does for us. I am not a nutritionist by any means. Can some of you weigh in on this?

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Here you go:

http://www.paleoforlife.org/success/alzheimer-

Paleo/Primal eating actually helps guard against Alzheimer's as well as helps to treat it.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    CBS

Not even once. That's some hardcore CW if I ever saw it. That guy is definitely getting money from someone.

Saturated fats are required in the developing brain of the fetus. All of the factors that affect the brain of a fetus should be related to the aging brain.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Here you go:
    http://www.paleoforlife.org/success/alzheimer-
    Paleo/Primal eating actually helps guard against Alzheimer's as well as helps to treat it.
    your link is busted.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    your link is busted.
    Crap. Sorry.

Paleo Diet for Alzheimer Disease | Paleo for Life

I fixed it (I hope).
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    My father has INSISTED on eating margarine, seed oils, skimmed milk, lean meat etc for years. And now is suffering from dementia - probably Alzheimers disease. Sat fat might have helped him - certainly, CW approach hasn't helped him.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i've only known one person with alzheimers and they were hardcore CW from way back in the 70s. low fat, high carb, no beef, fake butter

2 family members have some memory issues and they both eat wheat and margarine

causation correlation? 1 + 1 = 2? i dunno, because i have memory issues even when i'm strict primal
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Here's one study on MCT's:
    Hypometabolism as a therapeutic target in Alzheimer's disease
    For the poor man that is dose up on coconut oil and as third choice keep saturated fat intake up.

The MCT's do not reverse symptoms but do seem to stop further degeneration.

Chupo is online now Member

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    I have an Alzheimer allele (Apoe-4). My Oma passed recently from Alzheimer's so this concerns me a lot.

Read "Feed your brain, lose your belly". It explains a lot.

Since I went hardcore on the MCT Oil (4 tablespoons a day) and went ketogenic the difference in my thinking as dramatic. More concentration, more "endurance" for thinking, more ability to remember facts and events. I really can't overstate how dramatic th difference is.

My Oma had type 2 diabetes, they are describing Alzheimer's as Type 3 diabetes now. So controlling insulin and blood sugar makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast