Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain - how do you cope ???? page

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member

Pain - how do you cope ????

Shop Now
    Pain is something that has always intrigued me.
    They say childbirth pain will be dealt with better if you are well rested, low on stress etc.....
    but why is it that some people cope with pain better than others ???????
    I had a tattoo many years ago - yes Gwamma was a wee bit naughty that day - but I can honestly say that the pain that I endured after a caesarian, (during the caesar I was out to it - high on whatever the hell they give you in theatre, but as soon as I was awake I accepted no more pain relief) was far easier than the pain I experienced having my tattoos done
    .........so whats the go ????? Why do some of us cope better with pain than others of us ?????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Some people suck it up and drive on; some people are little bitches.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some people release fewer endorphins to cope with the pain, so they hurt more. And how we cope with things generally has a genetic component.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Personally, I prefer good drugs to deal with pain..... woo hoo! Better living through chemistry! Pain is why God made Demorol and Vicodin.....

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Probably something related to the stress. My dentist says she only has one other patient who doesn't want local anesthetics. I don't want them because I am not afraid, my mom was my first and only dentist for almost 30 years, I trusted her and (just like my dad) drosed off while my teeth were repaired. Now that other one practices yoga and does some special breathing techniques - means she is busy the whole time.
    My tatttoo only hurt a little over the old scar that it was meant to cover. The bit over normal skin did not hurt, I just felt a little tickling. Still that did not stop me from fainting, mostly because I was sitting in an awkward position with my lungs pressed closed in order to strech my hand as far out as possible. It was ok after I got more comfortable.
    Childbirth was not painful at all, the secret is the correct breathing. Although most of the time I was sound asleep in my hospital bed.
    So I believe is all about stress.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Personally, I prefer good drugs to deal with pain..... woo hoo! Better living through chemistry! Pain is why God made Demorol and Vicodin.....
    Ooh, my kinda' attitude! Come on over to my place for some Ativan and Percocet, honey!

Seriously, though, I think people are built differently. I have a couple of kids with sensory issues, so I definitely believe that neurological differences exist that can account for it. Although therapy and different techniques can improve stuff and help folks cope better in different pain situations and all, I believe that a fundamental difference still is there, like eye color or height cannot be changed.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Ooh, my kinda' attitude! Come on over to my place for some Ativan and Percocet, honey!

Seriously, though, I think people are built differently. I have a couple of kids with sensory issues, so I definitely believe that neurological differences exist that can account for it. Although therapy and different techniques can improve stuff and help folks cope better in different pain situations and all, I believe that a fundamental difference still is there, like eye color or height cannot be changed.
    Party at the Crabycakes Manor!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Honestly, I can deal with most pain without happy pills. The exceptions to that rule are headaches, sinus aches, jaw pain, and earaches. With those, I'm a baby, pass the hydrocodone.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I'm down.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I have a very high pain tolerance. I had 3 natural deliveries with no drugs and tattoos make me laugh. Seriously, they tickle. If pain gets real bad for me, I tend to pass out. I have passed out from pain 3 times as an adult and I used to pass out from pain all the time as a child.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast