Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Thoughts on high fat and 'high carb' page

  1. #1
    afsjesse's Avatar
    afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kabul, Afghanistan
    Posts
    371

    Thoughts on high fat and 'high carb'

    Shop Now
    From what I understand, some people think that eating high fat and high carb together is bad, for whatever reasons.... My question is what constitutes 'high carb' in this case. Are we talking SAD high carb where people are getting hundreds of carbs from grains, or are we talking about Paleo 'high carb', around 150-300 carbs?

    I'm curious, because many of us are eating more Paleo accepted foods like potatoes, rice, and so on. Say you have a steak and a couple of sweet potatoes on the side with butter on top. Does anyone actually argue that this is bad in some way due to the moderate carb load of this one meal?

    I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

  2. #2
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Fat doesn't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does. Carbs don't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does.

    Carbs and fat mixed will not cause weight gain, either. As always: a caloric surplus will. Sweet potatoes and butter are delicious, as are garlic butter fried prawns in rice with egg.

    In my experience, no, mixing does not cause any problems. At all.

  3. #3
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,374
    It's only bad if one or the other is putting you in an unintended caloric surplus. It has been my experience that macros aren't nearly as important as overall calories unless you are relying on the thermal effects of certain foods to create or maintain a certain target, which ultimately is semantics for caloric intake vs. expenditure.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  4. #4
    bryanf101's Avatar
    bryanf101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Fat doesn't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does. Carbs don't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does.
    I completely agree with you. Anything that you consume has calories (unless we're talking about those artificially products which are specifically made just for the taste).

  5. #5
    Damiana's Avatar
    Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Fat doesn't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does. Carbs don't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does.
    Perfectly put. You can eat zero carbs until the cows come home, but if you're eating way more than your body burns, you're going to gain weight. Same with carbs.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

  6. #6
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    968
    As per your example, no prob's, long as you do some hard yakka regularly.

  7. #7
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Fat doesn't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does. Carbs don't cause weight gain, a caloric surplus does.
    fat doesn't cause weight gain, a high insulin response does. a caloric surplus doesn't cause weight gain, a high insulin response does. carbs cause a high insulin response. (once your muscles are full of glucose) a high insulin response stores everything in your fat cells, both fat and sugar (this is the reason they say high fat and high carb is bad, high carbs cause the storage response (insulin), High fats are very energy dense and cause alot of fat to get stored)

    From marks book: carbohydrates control insulin, insulin controls fat storage

    nearly every diet on the planet calls for people to restrict calories (have a caloric deficit) and alot of them only lead to failures, technically "a caloric surplus leads to weight gain" is true, but it is not the route to weight loss. our hunger response is a very deep seated urge in our bodies and almost impossible to control, If the body "feels" like its calories is getting restricted it will enact the hunger response in full force, hense all the calorie restricting failures.

    the most helpful advice to give people is to suggest they eat to control their insulin response, this involves eating low amounts of carbs (around 50 - 100 grams a day). ofcourse with carbs this low we won't be getting much calories from them so we need to eat a good amount of fats. because we are getting a good amount of fats our hunger response is quelled and we naturally eat only the amount of energy we require.

    hope that helps

  8. #8
    bryanf101's Avatar
    bryanf101 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5
    Moral of the story: if you intake high fat and 'high carb' then for burning them you would require hardcore exercise.

  9. #9
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    [B] this involves eating low amounts of carbs (around 50 - 100 grams a day)
    Not all carbs were created equal, don't forget the Kitavans, high Carb low Fat, no disease and good ab's.

  10. #10
    itchy166's Avatar
    itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    fat doesn't cause weight gain, a high insulin response does. a caloric surplus doesn't cause weight gain, a high insulin response does. carbs cause a high insulin response. (once your muscles are full of glucose) a high insulin response stores everything in your fat cells, both fat and sugar (this is the reason they say high fat and high carb is bad, high carbs cause the storage response (insulin), High fats are very energy dense and cause alot of fat to get stored)

    From marks book: carbohydrates control insulin, insulin controls fat storage

    nearly every diet on the planet calls for people to restrict calories (have a caloric deficit) and alot of them only lead to failures, technically "a caloric surplus leads to weight gain" is true, but it is not the route to weight loss. our hunger response is a very deep seated urge in our bodies and almost impossible to control, If the body "feels" like its calories is getting restricted it will enact the hunger response in full force, hense all the calorie restricting failures.

    the most helpful advice to give people is to suggest they eat to control their insulin response, this involves eating low amounts of carbs (around 50 - 100 grams a day). ofcourse with carbs this low we won't be getting much calories from them so we need to eat a good amount of fats. because we are getting a good amount of fats our hunger response is quelled and we naturally eat only the amount of energy we require.

    hope that helps
    THIS!

    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Can your food make you fit? » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •