Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on high fat and 'high carb' page 2

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Even my great Grandmother's generation knew that you feed people meat and potatoes to bulk them up.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    fat doesn't cause weight gain, a high insulin response does. a caloric surplus doesn't cause weight gain, a high insulin response does. carbs cause a high insulin response. (once your muscles are full of glucose) a high insulin response stores everything in your fat cells, both fat and sugar (this is the reason they say high fat and high carb is bad, high carbs cause the storage response (insulin), High fats are very energy dense and cause alot of fat to get stored)

From marks book: carbohydrates control insulin, insulin controls fat storage

nearly every diet on the planet calls for people to restrict calories (have a caloric deficit) and alot of them only lead to failures, technically "a caloric surplus leads to weight gain" is true, but it is not the route to weight loss. our hunger response is a very deep seated urge in our bodies and almost impossible to control, If the body "feels" like its calories is getting restricted it will enact the hunger response in full force, hense all the calorie restricting failures.

the most helpful advice to give people is to suggest they eat to control their insulin response, this involves eating low amounts of carbs (around 50 - 100 grams a day). ofcourse with carbs this low we won't be getting much calories from them so we need to eat a good amount of fats. because we are getting a good amount of fats our hunger response is quelled and we naturally eat only the amount of energy we require.

hope that helps
    Really absurdly simplistic and poor understanding of endocrinology
    nihil

janie is offline Senior Member
    Derp-
    If you know so much more than Mark and a entire raft of scientists (Attia, Phinney, Westerman, etc. etc. etc.), what are your credentials? On what basis do you make such unscientific claims?

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Really absurdly simplistic and poor understanding of endocrinology
    mate your exactly right, wikipedia sais that:

Endocrinology - is a branch of biology and medicine dealing with the endocrine system

I am not a biologist or a doctor studying the bodies endocrine system. I am a dude trying to help another dude on an internet forum, with some knowledge that I learnt from the dude that owns the forum.

you don't seem to be either of these, 1. not practicing endocrinology or 2. trying to help any one. Why are you even posting?

The sad thing is, I wouldn't even need credentials, when that whole point is carbs = insulin = weight gain, and ignores the entire functioning of the endocrine system.

Mark Sisson isn't a scientist either. He's a blogger and an athlete. By your post, he has no credentials either, ergo his point is invalid.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    mate your exactly right, wikipedia sais that:

Endocrinology - is a branch of biology and medicine dealing with the endocrine system

I am not a biologist or a doctor studying the bodies endocrine system. I am a dude trying to help another dude on an internet forum, with some knowledge that I learnt from the dude that owns the forum.

you don't seem to be either of these, 1. not practicing endocrinology or 2. trying to help any one. Why are you even posting?
    I'm helping too. By stating that something is wrong. It doesn't matter if the guy owns this forum or not. Besides, I think Mark Sisson has since retracted that old view on insulin, has he not?
    nihil

ms sage is offline Member
    As a mid life woman carbs affect me much differently than they did in my 20/30/40's. I really have to watch them or I get a big old fat tire around my middle!

janie is offline Senior Member
    OK, I got it. You are a 20-something social misfit with maybe a high school education and delusions of grandeur. You read a few goofy websites written by some morons and have become a self-styled expert who gives bad advice.

There are many MDs, MSs and PhDs, etc., etc. in addition to Mark who know that high carb causes an insulin response and weight gain. Proven science. I know it too through many years of experience with my body and a 70 lb weight loss due to managing my insulin response. I fear you do much harm to people who come hear to enrich their knowledge and improve their health. I'm surprised they haven't banned you for the crap you post.

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    OK, I got it. You are a 20-something social misfit with maybe a high school education and delusions of grandeur. You read a few goofy websites written by some morons and have become a self-styled expert who gives bad advice.

There are many MDs, MSs and PhDs, etc., etc. in addition to Mark who know that high carb causes an insulin response and weight gain. Proven science. I know it too through many years of experience with my body and a 70 lb weight loss due to managing my insulin response. I fear you do much harm to people who come hear to enrich their knowledge and improve their health. I'm surprised they haven't banned you for the crap you post.
    When all else fails get really, really mad, make assumptions and red herrings. That's cool. I'm not going to stoop to your level, but you definitely are impressionable. There are many CW scientists too, are all of their opinions right? You can twist science around easily to say whatever you want if your crowd is especially gullible and lacking in knowledge.

Please learn about how a β-cell works, and actually learn about insulin's role in the body, before just adhering to anything that a specific group of people say(in this case, carbphobia "scientists" with an agenda) and without any knowledge whatsoever display it as fact. You'll get away with it here, only, since this forum is full of like-minded people, obviously.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 02-19-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    nihil

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yeah... you guys are completely ignoring the hormonal response to both macro nutrients when you say "it doesn't matter"

fat in the presence of carbs is very easily stored as fat; carbs are higher on the metabolic foodchain to be used for fuel -- but not as high as alcohol. When there is a surplus of calories or your body is prone to store fat due to metabolic derangement -- these type of things do matter.

you have to be careful throwing out "it doesn't matter" on this forum. Obese people starting the PB will read that and take it to mean a stick of butter on their sweet potatoes is Primal Eating. Let's encourage critical thinking.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-19-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast