Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a SAD mindset to leave you alone about being primal page

Isisinabi is offline Member

Getting a SAD mindset to leave you alone about being primal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've lost 75lbs and I'm feeling great. My boyfriend seems to think that eating vegetables and meat is somehow going to kill me because meat causes heart attacks. You wouldn't believe the fight I have to go through just to get my bacon every week. He insists I'm going to die and eats his sandwich, potato chips, nutrigrain bars and peanut butter crackers every single day for lunch and his whole wheat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast.

But I'm going to die from eating 2 eggs, spinach, 3 slices of bacon and coconut milk for breakfast. Go figure. Anyway, how do I get him to get off my back about it? He refuses to read the primal blueprint as he thinks Mr. Sisson is a crack job and is just out to get my money and I don't know what else to do to get him to realize that his SAD is giving him all the headache, stomach upset, skin issues that he has.

Any suggestion?

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    This is quite common, and understandably so. First off, he probably legitimately concerned as he was obviously raised in the SAD mentality like we all were. But clearly, he is very closed to anything that contradicts his view points, even as you probably have pointed out the junk that he's scarfing down against the SAD diet.

I think you're best way to get around this is to simply argue that it's your own personal choice to put what food into your body. If he can't be inspired by you losing 75 lbs, good job BTW!, than I'm not sure what will. The other thing you could do is to challenge him to try this way of eating for 30 days and see how he feels.... but it doesn't sound like that'd be happening anytime soon.

Best of luck, and keep up the great work!!!

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Dump him till he wises up. Just kidding. Well not really.

You should not be battling over getting bacon. First, he should respect your food choices. Second, even if he disagrees with your food choices, it should not be an argument but a discussion, and if he isn't even open to learning about paleo then it's not a discussion. You lost 75 lbs and he still doubts you? That makes no sense. Sorry but I would not tolerate my SO being that argumentative with me about food, especially since it has worked so well for you. There are also a lot of other sources on the internet besides mark and pb supporting paleo or low carb, also some anti-sugar ant-corn documentaries on netflix and amazon prime streaming if you have that, that are free to watch. Finally, you could both go get blood work done and actually see who is right.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you can convince him that your way of eating would cure his issues. Therefore I feel it would be better not to even try. Just back off completely and not make any suggestions to him. If he ever gets curious he can always ask, or do his own research.

As for him always being on your case, maybe you could tone down your reaction and see if that reduces the tension a little. Perhaps you can agree to disagree.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Dump him till he wises up. Just kidding. Well not really.
    ^This.

Or I would say something like, "You know what I like about a boyfriend who nags all the time? Not a damned thing."

Seriously, if you have a future with this guy, do you really want to listen to him nag for the next 50 years?
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Balance is offline Senior Member
    You can just have him give you all his meat and bacon since "meat causes heart attacks". More meat for you

But seriously, if he cares and respects you enough he will at least hear you out and do some basic reading. You have already lost a ton of weight and feel great which is proof enough that you are on the right track. He should be congratulating you instead of trying to convince you that you will drop dead.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    deadpan look in the eye followed with 'i didn't know i was living with my mother'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Do not appeal to "authority" when you discuss it. Mark Sisson is smart and makes some great arguments, but appealing to perceived authority is only going to irritate someone who believes they are the authority on a certain subject. Get your own facts and data without propping up TPB as the gospel of truth.

Oh, and, he should respect you enough to let you make your own decisions. You own you; he's not your parent, you're not a helpless toddler. That is the bigger problem here, not who's right or wrong about diet.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    ^This.

Or I would say something like, "You know what I like about a boyfriend who nags all the time? Not a damned thing."

Seriously, if you have a future with this guy, do you really want to listen to him nag for the next 50 years?
    ++++++1 - trust me sweets - it aint gonna get any better !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast