Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diet soda page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Get off the fence. Are you aiming for health or not?

It's something you wouldn't even feed to a dog. I see no reason why anyone should ever willingly consume it.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Personally I have been drinking diet soda on and off for the last thirthy years or so, but in the later years I have upped my consume and I feel better than ever, so I think it maybe have some positive health benefits! Remember Asparstame is a synthesis between two natural amino acids and the breakdown in our bodies goes back to those natural amino acids so it is absurd that this should be unhealthy whatsoever. So personally I play the wager that aparstame is very healthy indeed and that all that think it's bad are wrong! So perhaps it will turn out that I will live by good health until I am 150 years of age and the rest of you to 90 or 100 years only because you didn't use the oportunity of ingesting enough aspartame in your bodies?
    Depending on where you live (US vs. Europe, and who knows how long?), aspartame has two forms, a traditional form and a genetically modified form. Much of the USA's aspartame is of a GM bacteria origin. This GM bacteria produces high amounts of the ami

It is safe to say that aspartame is not 100% natural. What happens inside the body in the presence of aspartame is questionable and of significant risk, especially over long term use.

"In food, phenylalanine and aspartic acid are bound to other amino acids in long, complex chains of proteins so that they are not absorbed in a way that could cause damage.

But in aspartame they are not, and enzymes in the gut can easily split them apart.

Once phenylalanine is released in its free form, it is metabolized into diketopiperazine, a carcinogen. Aspartic acid in its free form becomes an excitotoxin, a toxic molecule that stimulates nerve cells to the point of damage or death.

The third component of aspartame, methyl ester, is the most harmful. It is metabolised by the body into methanol, a well-known poison.

In the US, the Environmental Protection Agency defines safe consumption of methanol as no more than 7.8mg a day.

Anyone drinking three cans of a drink sweetened with aspartame a day is consuming about 56mg of methanol."

ASPARTAME Is Manufactured By Monsanto Using Genetically Modified Bacteria Genetically Modified Foods, The Silent Killer

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    there are also carcinogens in the synthetically produced caramel coloring, although the relevant amount of carcinogen to actual harmfulness appears to be up for debate: Coca-Cola Modifies Caramel Color To Avoid Cancer Warning Label : The Salt : NPR

anyway, besides the methanol, which if true is probably the most toxic metabolite, there is also the benzene evolved from the sodium benzoate, the preservative that is in almost EVERYTHING. just to avoid the benzoate I avoid not just sodas, but a LOT of packaged foods and cosmetics, etc... it is really hard to avoid. Although there still seems to be debate about how much benzene is in drinks is actually harmful, compared to common environmental sources.

I like the taste of diet cola, a lot, always have. But I try to avoid any overt consumption of carbonated bevs; I don't buy any for myself hardly ever, nor choose them when out at a restaurant. My husband still gets diet coke when out and really likes his carbonated beverages still, so i usually get a few sips of his drink, which is enough to enjoy the sweet taste, but a few sips is all I get at a time. But finally, we are all going to die someday, so maybe it's not worth it to deprive yourself or stress out over depriving yourself; quality of life matters too.

bryanf101 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Several years ago I stopped drinking anything carbonated, with immediately beneficial results. Carbonation itself is hell on digestion.
    Yup!! I completely agree with you. Instead of drinking carbonated water we can have any healthy juice. Atleast that would be helpful for your body.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I like fizzy water, I don't drink it often, maybe get a 2l bottle once a month, I never considered it would have any digestive issues, I'll have to look into that.

I don't drink diet sodas regually anymore apart from a very very very occasional treat, I still like the taste of diet coke and if I'm having a meal out sometimes it's the only cold thing to drink that isn't over-priced bottled water or full of sugar.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't drink soda much in the first place, mostly in the summer when it's hot, but I don't feel better or worse after stopping. Granted, I'm not addicted to the stuff and don't really like soda much in the first place.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    For the first 25 or so years of my life no soda drinks were available at all. Cola was an urban legend, nothing more, nobody had seen or used it. We did have carbinated water with syrop. Too expensive to use regularly. But those few who did - had very bad teeth. After we got exposed to the more sophisticated soda drinks and sugary treats like Mars bars, Snickers, etc. the fat epidemic started. I never really related sodas to my gemeral well being (except that I did understand that so much sugar, as the regular sodas have, can't be good) but after I stopped using them after 20+ years, I do feel much better. Now I drink water (70%) , coffe (25%) and red wine (5%). Champagne occassionaly. Way better and tastier than any diet soda ever has been. Before I did not know that water has different taste depending on the source.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Personally I have been drinking diet soda on and off for the last thirthy years or so, but in the later years I have upped my consume and I feel better than ever, so I think it maybe have some positive health benefits! Remember Asparstame is a synthesis between two natural amino acids and the breakdown in our bodies goes back to those natural amino acids so it is absurd that this should be unhealthy whatsoever. So personally I play the wager that aparstame is very healthy indeed and that all that think it's bad are wrong! So perhaps it will turn out that I will live by good health until I am 150 years of age and the rest of you to 90 or 100 years only because you didn't use the oportunity of ingesting enough aspartame in your bodies?
    I think you should up your intake, maybe double or triple, as much as you can put down.

For the OP, if it's Diet, Low fat, decaffenated, fortified and all the other varients, it wasn't food to begin with, just dogs#it with stuff added to make it palatable.
    So no, dump the diet soda.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Soda wasn't a biggy in our house growing up. I thought Coke was a bit too sweet, so I never drank a lot of it. Then as a body conscious 20something year old, I read that all 150 calories came from sugar and I didn't need a doctor to know that couldn't be healthy. Tried diet, but that was back when saccharine was the 0 cal sweetener, and the taste sucked. Probably didn't drink soda again for over 10 years. Equal came into being. Liked Crystal Lite. Drank too much of that - although I don't think I ever reached the equivalent of a 6pack or 12pack of soda. Phased that out in favor of water or unsweetened tea.

I also have a thing about drinking from containers when I can't see the contents, and I can taste plastic. Just no appeal. Probably anything to excess will cause some less than positive reaction.

A 6pack/day. $3 per day? $90 a month? Almost $1100/yr (a really good gym membership). Over $30,000 in thirty years. Just not my choice of where to throw money. I feel the same way about the daily consumption of $5 coffee drinks. No judgement, it's just not my habit.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I think you should up your intake, maybe double or triple, as much as you can put down.
    If you advertise yourself to the big soda guys, maybe you, too, can become famous as the epitome of masculinity, all due to the wonderful life-extending properties of the carbonated bubbly fountain of youth. You know, just like the Marlboro Man!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast