Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Northern California Cowpool? (That is, go in on the cost of a cow..) page 4

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    OK. This is my final answer. Promise. If it is still available I want 1/8th of the cow. I can pay anytime after Friday. I can pick up anytime after the meat is acquired. I live in San Jose, but I'm willing to go wherever.

Just let me know.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

etomaria is offline Member
    Okay, maybe I was confusing I'll be getting a half of a cow, of which I'd (ideally) like half... so I'd like a quarter. If necessary, we can split the half into fourths, getting each person an eighth, making it so that I also take one and three others can get some too, IF there are three that want it. The HALF costs $900, making a quarter $450 and an eighth $225... The weight isn't specifically set, but let's call it 160, as that's right in the middle (tho she said this will be decently heavy and probable it'll be a bit higher)... That means each quarter'd be about 80 and each eighth about 40.

Lessofmimi-- tho you gave me the "final answer", it seems as tho you took the cost/size for a sixteenth into account, just wanted to clarify so you know what you're getting into )

Anyone else down? I've since had one of the people that originally wanted in for an eighth write back and she'd still like in-- meaning we seem to have three people (her, me, lessofmimi)... That's okay as it is, but if one more wants in, I'll share my quarter ) Thanks!

--also, if you wouldn't mind sending me emails as to details (phone number and/or other way to contact you), I'd appreciate it. I remember to check this thread only every couple of days and don't want to miss questions or anything else relevant... Thanks again! )

-Maria

Are we going to work on this again, for January? I know that myself and my Mother are interested in a portion - she's thinking a 1/4 of a cow, and I'd like 1/2 a cow, but may have to take 1/4 as well, financially speaking. Would like to see if we could get the pricing for a whole cow this time.

Alritey, I've contacted Fouch Farms ($1.15/lb!!) for more details and ordering information... I've told them either a whole or a half, depending on what they have available, so if you all want in, please do let me know-- their site indicates ordering takes place in early spring (so, in an effort to not miss it, I'm starting now ) and the meat will be ready in Mayish...

My bad, $1.30/lb... Either way, it's an insane price!

http://www.fouchfarms.com/Grass-Fed_Beef.html

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Hi,

The price is good but that is live weight, not end result. From their site:

800# steer at $1.30 per pound = $1040
    Slaughter fee = $60
    Butcher fee at $.55 per pound (400#ís) = $220
    TOTAL = $1260 for 400#ís of beef or $3.30 per pound

Still I'm in for a portion (as much as I can fit in my apt freezer). Thanks for staying on top of this.

J

I'm in for at least an 1/8th again. Since we're talking May, I can probably do a 1/4th (space issues, not $). My Mom IS in for the same.
    Last edited by LessofMimi; 01-08-2011 at 09:43 PM.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Hey, just so you know, if any of you Bay Area people are ever in Santa Rosa you MUST, and I insist MUST, try Willowside Meats. They have the best grass fed beef in the United States and I am 99% sure of that. It's better than Marin Sun Farms, better than Prather, better than Panorama, better than Alexandre Farms, better than Mergruder Ranch and better than 15 other places. And considering that we probably have the best grass fed beef in the country here, if Willowside is the best here than it must be the best you can get in the USA.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Hey Steak N Chop: Thanks for the info, I am in Marin, so they are close. Also, sick of being on the Marin Sun waiting list...

etoMaria, I would be up for another1/8th! If you need someone to take 1/4th to make it work, I could probably finagle that too. It lasted us about 4-5 months, so pretty much perfect.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Megan.Eng is offline Member
    Is there anything going on right now, as far as a cowpool? I'd like to get part of a cow, but I don't know how much 3 people would need, or how much cow would feed 3 people for however long. Any advice?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast