Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern California Cowpool? (That is, go in on the cost of a cow..) page 2

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd be into this- Marin County. Hubby and I travel through Cali quite a bit, so if we needed to meet at a central point, or do some drop-offs, we're game! the primal diva at g mail dot com

I was thinking it would be cool to put together a Northern Cali group here on the forums anyway....I am kind of a newbie though, so I wasn't sure if there was one already (and don't feel like I have the "street cred" to moderate one yet!)

etomaria is offline Member
    Good deal... the one that looks most promising so far is the $3.15 a pound, if only for the amazing price, but I've got an email out to them to see if that's really the case... Then we should be able to get down to figuring out who wants what and how much! Sweet! If anyone else wants to do smthn different, by all means, let me know... I'm just getting things going for lack of something else to do, plus I'd rather order sooner than later

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that is a great deal! What farm is that? Is it really grass fed and finished? Still I'd be curious to find out about the buffalo. Either way, fantastic price on grass fed beef or a good deal on buffalo I'd probably be in for a portion. Note to Etomaria - right, it would be one or the other, I cannot do both either. Haven't gotten any emails yet, is anyone else besides Primal Diva, Etomaria and myself interested in this?

Yah, it's fed/finished, all grass! Only problem is that they're outta cows :| They'll have them again next January, but it seems as though they're a smallish operation and only deal with advance orders... makes sense, just no good that they've run out :[ Anyways, buffalo sounds like a good deal but I haven't seen anywhere that has it for a decent price yet... Check around? In my searching (I looked a week or two ago) I found some "great" deals only to notice that they were grain-finished... Not sure how particular all you all are, but I'd rather not... It just ruins the good thing that was goin with the grass I've got one email out asking for more info on the buffalo (the one on California's eatwild.com site) and the other prices I put yesterday-- any votes? Any other info?

As far as you having no emails, I haven't sent any so far as this seems easiest for now...

Also, I'm Maria, feel free to call me that Or etomaria, however's more normal for you... just sharing

Hi Maria,

What is the price on the buffalo? I'm just curious, if pricey then the occasional purchase ($8/lb at Prather Ranch or Whole Foods in SF), think Trader Joes has some buffalo burgers for less might be better.

Since the other farms are $5-7 per pound I would rather wait for the good deal even if it isn't until next year. That is pretty much what I am paying now anyway. While getting a larger portion may include some more expensive cuts, this isn't a big deal for me and I'd rather buy what I want from Marin Sun Farms. So if the $3/lb place is only on pre-order how long in advance is required? What are their deals and what do they include? Maybe we will resurrect this idea in the fall (or whenever the pre-order is required).

Any more information yet?

cheers,
    J

Maleficarum is offline Member
    i used to live in Carmichael... now i live in Redding so i am a bit out of the way for this.

i did a lot of research trying to track down a cow for my family. EatWild had some good links, but when I followed them through emails to local farmers I was VERY disappointed with the feedback I received.

I say good luck tracking down some decent local meat that is truly grass fed and not a bazillion dollars. You also have to ask if they let you chose your butcher... the two farms that had the best choices of cows would ONLY deal with a butcher shop out of Roseville and when I contacted them, they gave me the run around when I asked about specific cuts. Notably, the tenderloin was never listed as a cut in any of their butchering packages. I found that very shady... that the best cut of meat would be missing from something that I paid so damn much for.

Hi, sorry so long!

The three dollar/pound place takes its orders in January, so we'd have to decide around then.

In the meantime! cuz I do definitely want to buy something for the next little while, I've put a deposit down on half a cow... A little on the expensive side, but def grass fed/finished (paradisevalleybeef.com)... Works out to about 5.20/5.40 per pound... A half ranges from 140-180 lbs (they butcher a little earlier, the cows are a little smaller than traditional grain-fed, as grass-fed cows gain weight more slowly and if they were to wait for them to be as big as normal grain-fed size, they'd be tough, as they'd be older)...

Anyways. I put $200 down, as that's what they require... The rest will be due in August, when it'll be butchered and available to pick up. If no-one wants, at this time, to go in, I'll end up keeping the whole thing... if you'd like half or a couple certain parts, let me know-- I'll split it with you! My husband's all uppity thinking that a half cow is more than we'll ever eat in a year and that meat that's been in the freezer for a long time is no good, but he's Russian and they're crazy... )) --point of all that is, I'm willing to share!

Let me know what you think!

Also-- I've all but given up on buffalo, it's ridiculously expensive and I haven't seen anything to justify the extra costs. Let me know if you find it though!

Anyone? (Just writing to put this back up at the top, so it doesn't get skipped)

Hi Maria,

I'll email you privately later today or tomorrow, maybe...

Len
    Len is offline Member
    Yep, I'm still definitely interested! LenM225 at Gmail dot com

Thanks for organizing this!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast