Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a jar of bacon drippings? page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Red face What to do with a jar of bacon drippings?

Shop Now
    When I cook bacon in a pan, I use what's left to cook eggs in it, but whatever is left over (or if I don't use the fat at all), I pour it in a mason jar next to my stove so the pan is easier to clean later.

So, what can I do with all of this now-somewhat-hardened grease that I've accumulated over time? Once in a while I will use it to grease my pan if all I'm making is eggs, but is there any other use for this jar of deliciousness?

Thanks!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ok... let's just imagine that "Butter" and "Bacon Fat" are having this conversation about savory cooking applications...

Now you see?
    Think of a place the very mild taste of bacon might be welcome, minus a lot of salt, and go with it!
    I love bacon fat with brussels sprouts!
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

MonaDarling is offline Junior Member
    I have a similar jar in my cupboard. If you strain your bacon fat before storing it, you don't have to keep it in the fridge. Bacon fat is a delicious way to make practically any vegetable taste wonderful, especially cruciferous vegetables such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage. Just use the bacon fat to sauté them or as the fat in the steam/sauté method. I also use it to fry onions for chili, chowder, soup, and anything that calls for bacon, then frying something in the left over fat. Stir-fried cabbage! oh yummy!! It's also good substitute for the oil or butter called for in corn bread. Corn bread is not Paleo! but, once in awhile, you just have to have it.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    homemade mayonnaise. just warm the fat till liquid and proceed with any recipe. makes really rich mayo

Introducing: A Recipe Contest, With Prizes - NYTimes.com

it's easiest to use a hand- held blender to make mayo, put the watery ingredients at the bottom and the fat on top

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Bacon fat?? in the UK...all that comes out of my bacon is water and preservatives....no useful fat there....really need to stop shopping at the supermarket.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynavel View Post
    Bacon fat?? in the UK...all that comes out of my bacon is water and preservatives....no useful fat there....really need to stop shopping at the supermarket.
    You could just buy lard?

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    You could just buy lard?
    I've got grass fed butter, ghee and coconut oil.....Think my Fat requirements for cooking may be covered

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynavel View Post
    The bacon we get in the US is a different product from that you buy in the UK. It is made from pork belly, and is more than half fat.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    are you looking for strictly food-related answers? if yes, i use it on cooked veggies, roast veggies or potatoes in it, use it to make dressings, etc
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love the idea of using it to make dressings/mayonnaise! I love love love mayo but never buy it anymore because even the "olive oil" ones are mostly made with soybean or canola oil. I do make my own sometimes, but it uses a lot of olive oil and can get expensive. Using leftover bacon grease sounds like a nice way of using a waste product to make something delicious!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast