View Poll Results: Is 1 quart/ day of quality milk too much?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 1 quart is excessive

18 56.25%
  • No, 1 quart is fine

14 43.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Consensus Poll: Drinking Milk page

USMCStang is offline Junior Member

General Consensus Poll: Drinking Milk

Hi all,

I've been through 100's of pages of threads, and it's somewhat hard to get a general consensus on the question I'm trying to answer.

So here's the facts:
    • I cannot source raw, organic milk in Ohio without cowsharing.
    • We have a local organic dairy that uses low heat pastuerization, grass-fed cows, and is fully organic (Hartzler Dairy in Ohio...the only one I know of in the state)
    • The milk is not homogenized...it even has the cream plug on top when you open it, and must be shaken.
    • It's whole milk.
    • It comes in glass bottles, so no BPA concerns (you have to pay a deposit on them, otherwise, it's $3.50/ half gallon)
    • I am addicted to milk. I grew up having it almost every day.
    • I'm lifting heavy things 3x/ week, walking every day at lunch, and sprinting once in a while.
    • I am otherwise eating primally, save for CAFO supermarket beef once in awhile when my grass fed runs out. No sugars, grains, legumes, etc.

So, the question is, given that the type of milk I am drinking is probably as close to raw milk as I can legally get in Ohio without owning a cow, is drinking a quart of this milk per day too much?

janie is offline Senior Member
    I have access to raw dairy and use heavy cream but do not drink milk on any sort of regular basis I don't believe I would use any if it wasn't raw. A quart seems a lot to me, but I tend to keep carbs low, so I have refrained from voting.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    If you aren't overweight and have no health problems otherwise, I don't see why not, if it's been ok for you so far.

I think the PB is more about finding what is right for YOU, than about being strict about every little thing according to "rules".

PS some people can digest raw milk ok but not store-bought ultra-pasteurized. My theory about this is that, the high heat of the pasteurization process is cooking / polymerizing the milk proteins, making them indigestible or harder to digest. for my part, I cannot afford quality milk, so I avoid it entirely; it induces bloating and gas. What is also nice is that Almond and coconut milk are more widely available now.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I voted 'yes', it's excessive. But that was before I looked at your 'about me'. If you're in college now you're in a high growth stage and working hard. I'd absolutely change my vote. A quart a day is nothng for you. Go right ahead. But if you're in your 40's, it may be too much.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Seriously... it's not about what other people do, it's about your goals and what is right for you.

If you are growing and looking to gain drink away!

Your stats/info about YOU on the OP would make the most sense.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    is drinking a quart of this milk per day too much?
    You could do *so* much worse. We have easy access to a similar milk (Trickling Springs in PA). I haven't tracked down a raw source yet, but I'm still looking. DH can't bring himself to switch to whole mllk yet, so he drinks 2%, about a pint a day.

I think if you can afford the calories, you love milk and it doesn't seem to disagree with you, enjoy it.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i use organic, grass-fed dairy, however, the u.s. is the only country where adults drink milk. i haven't drunk a glass of milk in decades.

nature designed mother's milk to ideally nourish the infants of each respective species. after that, they no longer "need" milk because they are eating real food.

http://www.chiro.cc/health_database/milk.shtml

but yeah, there is far worse, i suppose.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't drink any milk. I don't know what you should do or what excessive means for you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jswanz1 is offline Member
    If it works for you and you don't have any consequences from drinking that much milk...I say go for it.

USMCStang is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry, guess I should have added more information.

I'm 32, 5'11", and 191lbs. I started primal eating 3 weeks ago, at 201lbs. I haven't moderated my milk intake, but I did switch to the milk I referenced above from standard 2%. Milk has never given me any issues with phlegm, indigestion, or otherwise. Since I haven't had any cravings for anything else like grains or sweets, perhaps it can be my 20%. Calorie wise, I don't appear to be having an issue, as I seem to be naturally running a large deficit eating primally.

It looks like even a yes or no poll won't be able to generate a reasonable consensus, lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast