• Dean Ornish

2 20.00%
  • Food Companies

5 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class Action Lawsuit against.... the USDA? page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Class Action Lawsuit against.... the USDA?

Shop Now
    OK; back in the day; I followed the advice to eat my "healthy whole wheat grains" my "hearty oatmeal" (hearty; a word that has no meaning whatsoever) I tossed my egg yolks; avoided "fatty bacon" ate skinless chicken and bicycled daily. I ended up with Obesity; dental decay; irritable bowel syndrome; and Type 2 diabetes. I'd love to sue someone for all those root canals I had to endure; who should it be; and is there a chance of a class action lawsuit against somebody or some institution? Who can we sue; Ancel Keys? USDA? FDA? Doctors? Dean Ornish?The food companies? Kelloggs? General Mills"...???

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Yeah there's a lot of Justice going around for people wronged by corporate/government deception...LOL make sure you get in on that LOL
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    would you win a lawsuit against someone because you chose to follow their advice?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    While I understand and empathize with your anger and disappointment, you would essentially be pissing into the wind.

M.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The fed'l govt and its agencies have pretty much made themselves impervious to lawsuits, but there are some exceptions.

Environmental Groups Sue the FDA Over Antibiotics and Meat Production | TIME.com
    Bruce Friedrich: Animal Groups Sue USDA for Ignoring Poultry Products Inspection Act
    Grape growers can now sue the USDA Hot Air

Only the middle one of those three specifically addresses the fact that the USDA actually broke the law. The first one alleges the USDA has ignored information about antibiotics for over a generation, and the third one is kind of new territory as to patenting life.

If you search "sue Monsanto" at Google, you'll get 1.5M hits. Everyone is suing them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    While I understand and empathize with your anger and disappointment, you would essentially be pissing into the wind.

M.
    This is totally it. If you do, you'll be on every gov't watch list known to mankind. Good luck with that.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    would you win a lawsuit against someone because you chose to follow their advice?
    In some cases I believe you can. Let's say you know I'm or was an accountant. If I give you nutrition advice and you follow it, you probably can't sue me. But if I advised you to understate your income for tax purposes and you got fined, you'd probably have cause for some action against me.

It's not cut and dried, and depends on the expertise of the person from whom you get the advice. It can also involve payment. So, if we're getting drunk and you tell me about some off the books income you made and I say, "I'd leave it off," that's different than if you pay me to do your tax return and I advise you to not declare it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    The way I understand it, we are still at our free will as to what we do decide to eat. And even though I understand where you are coming from, as an adult you are the only one responsible for your own actions. Even more so, about what you decide to put inside your mouth and ingest .
    To this day I haven't had anyone from USDA, FDA, Monsanto or any president or another elected public official force me eat anything against my will.

Sure we have free will, but we all can't be experts in everything. If I hire a lawyer and s/he's incompetent, I have cause for action. If my surgeon removes the wrong breast, I have cause for action. If the government holds itself out as an expert, and advises everyone to eat lots of grains, GMOs, rabbit food, etc., and I take that expert's advice only to become ill because of it, I should be able to have recourse. Of course I don't really because that same govt can pass laws that hold it outside the law.

One of the reasons professionals and "experts" are required to have licenses, get continuing education, etc., is because it is recognized that they are supposed to have a level of competence in that area that the average person doesn't have. If that weren't the case, I could have my accountant oversee my kitchen renovation (or my contractor do my taxes).

B*tch-lite

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    yeah morally one would be totally in the right to demand compensation for obedience to government health guidelines. LOL who here has ever even thought for one second though, "There is wrong in the world...surely a court will put a stop to that!"
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast