Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 92

Thread: The beauty of a fat body page 9

  1. #81
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,184
    Back to Marilyn Monroe and her tiny waist, we have to remember that most women wore constrictive undergarments at that time.

    1950s Underwear Girdles, Bras and Corselettes - Fashion Glamour History

  2. #82
    ReformedSlacker's Avatar
    ReformedSlacker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So the reason why morbidly obese people get that way and don't lose weight is that they aren't mocked, bullied, and humiliated enough publicly. WTF?
    No, it's because they're taught that the mocking/bullying/humiliation is because people dislike/hate them and they are beautiful just the way they are. All this does is serve as justification for people not to put forward the effort to change. Instead, they should be taught that it is a form of social accountability. If several people say the same thing about you, maybe the problem is you. Humans have literally mocked and humiliated each other as long as there have been humans. It served the purpose of getting people to change behaviors and habits that were bad for the group and for the individual. But we lost that in recent years. Now, I'm not saying that all forms of bullying and mocking and humiliation are fine and that everyone should be subjected to it at all times. But it does have its time and place. As long as there is a context to it.

  3. #83
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedSlacker View Post
    No, it's because they're taught that the mocking/bullying/humiliation is because people dislike/hate them and they are beautiful just the way they are. All this does is serve as justification for people not to put forward the effort to change. Instead, they should be taught that it is a form of social accountability. If several people say the same thing about you, maybe the problem is you. Humans have literally mocked and humiliated each other as long as there have been humans. It served the purpose of getting people to change behaviors and habits that were bad for the group and for the individual. But we lost that in recent years. Now, I'm not saying that all forms of bullying and mocking and humiliation are fine and that everyone should be subjected to it at all times. But it does have its time and place. As long as there is a context to it.
    Yeah, right. Sure it does.

    My ex-husband hated overweight people, and clearly you do too. Is it any wonder none of them would accept your advice?

    You sound like you are your own problem. What a miserable way to live, in contempt of the majority of your fellow citizens and wanting only the worst for them.

  4. #84
    ReformedSlacker's Avatar
    ReformedSlacker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    My ex-husband hated overweight people, and clearly you do too. Is it any wonder none of them would accept your advice?
    I hate overweight people because I expect them to live with the consequences of their actions? By that logic, almost every parent hates their children. I hold no ill will toward anyone. But people reap what they sow. And I don't really care if people accept my advice or not. I don't believe I can live the lives of others.

    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You sound like you are your own problem. What a miserable way to live, in contempt of the majority of your fellow citizens and wanting only the worst for them.
    Again, why is expecting people to accept the natural consequences of their actions wanting the worst for them? And when did the assumption that I have a problem come in? The only contempt I have shown is for willful self-destruction. These are not people who were burned in a house fire or lost legs in IED blasts. I know dozens of those. And I would never mock them. Because the choices they made that led to those end states were noble ones. And most of them couldn't be prevented. But continuing down a self-destructive path with the endstate clear and the results becoming more and more apparent every day is preventable.

    And we're not talking 40-50 lbs overweight. The women in those photos were hundreds of lbs overweight. That takes a special kind of delusional.

  5. #85
    Mr.Perfidy's Avatar
    Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    1,523
    I am not saying women need to worry about fattness. I am saying that far more of them do. Perhaps that is society, perhaps that is a skewed sense of reality, or whatever, but I am confident in saying that women stress about it more than men. Most weight loss products are marketed to women.
    I know, but an individual harboring a neurosis is not proof that a given health issue is more important or relevant to one gender or another- it is proof that this individual (in your case probably a woman) is more neurotic about this given health issue. Obviously obesity is just as bad for men.

    Women are twice as likely to have depression. Source: Depression Statistics and Fact Information.
    same. Also I kinda don't believe it. Men that suffer depression are probably less likely to seek treatment because they weren't raised to think that someone should take care of them and their feeling of well-being.

    Only 15% of those suffering from anorexia and bulemia are men, which makes about 85% of sufferers women.
    Source: Eating Disorders Statistics National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
    I've known a few anorexic girls, and it very clearly had nothing whatsoever to do with weight issues and everything to do with father issues/sexual abuse. Since anorexia makes women look unfeminine and wastes away visible evidence of their sexual maturity, it's probably that and has to do with how society destroys women's sexuality.

    So yes, women are more likely to be effected. Some men might take to exercise to fight their body image issues but most people I know play sports because it is fun.
    Who said anything about playing? LOL Of the dozens of men I know that cheer for teams and wear athletic men's names across their backs (gay as hell but that's another Thread probably), maybe 3 or 4 get together to actually participate in a sport.

    I meant the disconnection of men's identity from their own body and their own living condition, and their tendency to graft it onto some cult of other men and their exaggerated physical capacity. Didn't you notice that sports fans say, "we" but mean, "those guys I never met that are fit as hell?"
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

    Jack london, "Before Adam"

  6. #86
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,186
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post

    Beauty though is a tricky word. Beauty can be found in some very strange places.................. I've found, with people, that often inner beauty radiates into outward beauty. A happy, confident fat person often looks more beautiful to me that an 'attractive' person who looks like they hate their lives/themselves.
    AMEN to that brother !!!!!!! x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  7. #87
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    I know, but an individual harboring a neurosis is not proof that a given health issue is more important or relevant to one gender or another- it is proof that this individual (in your case probably a woman) is more neurotic about this given health issue. Obviously obesity is just as bad for men.
    ...snipped...
    I was not talking about the problems of obesity. I was talking about it from a beauty stand point. The OP posted a link to pictures of very obese women and this was followed by pictures of anorexic women. Hence, the discussion was about women. A poster asked why we were not talking about men. Well, because that was not what the post was about. Also, as stated, I don't think as many men give a damn. As for me, I'm a dude. I have been a fat dude. Some would say I still am. I don't give two shits about whether society thinks I am/was fat, disgusting, whatever. I had no issue with how I looked only with how I felt healthwise. I still don't.

    Your point about sports is interesting and not one I have considered. I watch football because I enjoy it not for some disconnect from my body. I don't play anymore because where is a 37 year old man in a small town supposed to play football? As for why other men like sports, I have no clue.

  8. #88
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedSlacker View Post
    Again, why is expecting people to accept the natural consequences of their actions wanting the worst for them?
    The "natural consequences" of being overweight are health issues and difficulty in buying clothes. Bullying, job and housing discrimination, and public humiliation are in no way natural consequences of anything. They are cultural expressions of moral self-righteousness from those who take sadistic pleasure in tormenting those they know are powerless.

    Clearly you see excess weight as a moral issue, and you see the majority of Americans as morally inferior to you.

    You can kid yourself. But it is very clear what you mean.

  9. #89
    IcarianVX's Avatar
    IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedSlacker View Post
    Maybe I am a heartless bastard....
    Nope, just an ignorant one. You can change that.

    And the only reason these people are this size is because they choose to be.
    Most of the time it isn't.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

  10. #90
    Terry H's Avatar
    Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    946
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Nope, just an ignorant one. You can change that.


    Most of the time it isn't.
    Gawd, someone said it. Thanks.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •