Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The beauty of a fat body page 8

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Now that I think about it, women tend to treat body issues as vocal spokesperson jews treat racism.
    I will tell you that I as an obese woman had fewer opportunities professionally and personally than I do as a "normal" sized woman. I'm not going to judge if it is fair or not, but being attractive gets you very far professionally, as a woman, and being considered unattractive can prevent a career in many industries.

People treat me differently now and are more willing to engage and make eye contact. When I was obese, I was invisible and that is not good professionally. For example, as a size 20, if I was at a professional function no men would approach me. Now as a size 12 they happily approach me, make eye contact and listen to what I have to say.

I've even had a client comment on how "I can't possibly shop at WalMart as my ass is not large enough". Of course, you never going to hear these comments when you are fat.

For me, getting down to a certain weight has improved how I am treated by people and increased opportunities for me. I don't think things change as much (at least in business) for fat men. To me, it is a question of meeting a certain beauty standard that men are not required to meet. It is what it is, but in a business meeting, men are going to react much more favorably to the size 12 me versus the size 20 me and it isn't out of concern for my health.

The good thing is that it's not as if we all need to be size 2 to get respect, you just need to be healthy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Nothing I said dismisses the idea that overweight people suffer from idiotic superstititious degradation at the hands of feeble-minded conformists. I'm saying though, see how you went and attributed it to womanness also? Like fat men have it made...lol
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

little vase is offline Senior Member
    What Mr.Perfidy said, and said well.

I'm doing Primal and lifting weights to get healthy and like myself. I am not actively trying to make myself sexy to men ( that is the ultimate goal for some, but not for me..... ), and I am not judging anyone. Women need to be kinder to each other. This kind of feeling so free to analyze other women's bodies makes me, as a woman, really uncomfortable. Like it could be me.

And whoever said men's bodies aren't beautiful? Of course they are. Maybe not sexualized in the same way that women's bodies are, but certainly beautiful.

In canio's defense, he(she?) [we totally need little gender tag logos here] said that people do not usually REFER to men's bodies as beautiful.

But that's because we are a very homophobic collection of civilizations, in general, and culture is male-dominated and male-targeting I think, so men would have to be saying that other men are beautiful, and it makes their buttholes tight to think this.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Like fat men have it made...lol
    Maybe not sexually, but professionally, I have seen more fat men succeed than fat women. Fat men are more accepted in professional circles.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Pff. If a man is gorgeous, I say so. Then I go home and make mad love to my lady anyways.

M.

their own kids still laugh at them and they don't know what it's like to see a woman look at them with interest, or the ever-valuable and oft-under-rated "respectful nod-acknowledgement of shared levels of physical power and physical threat potential" looks from their fellow men.

ReformedSlacker is offline Junior Member
    I'm confused. Were these women (and men, since we're discussing that too) not the primary instruments in their own degradation? The ONLY way that some could get as big as these women have is to lack all sense of self control. Even the current SAD with all its faults won't lead to someone being that big. These woman are extremes and the only people they have to blame for it is themselves. I don't think that mocking is wrong in this case. Maybe I am a heartless bastard, as I am constantly told, but I don't think that people should be shielded from the consequences of their actions, even the social ones. And the only reason these people are this size is because they choose to be.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    because we have obviously rather deeply internalized that women are the ones to worry about fatness and that there is some divide between fat and not fat women on some existential level, but do not instinctively perceive, question, analyze, or discuss this in men. I think it is interesting also. I am glad that Mr/s Vase pointed it out.
    I am not saying women need to worry about fattness. I am saying that far more of them do. Perhaps that is society, perhaps that is a skewed sense of reality, or whatever, but I am confident in saying that women stress about it more than men. Most weight loss products are marketed to women.

Hahaha sure.
    Women are twice as likely to have depression. Source: Depression Statistics and Fact Information.

Only 15% of those suffering from anorexia and bulemia are men, which makes about 85% of sufferers women.
    Source: Eating Disorders Statistics National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders

So yes, women are more likely to be effected. Some men might take to exercise to fight their body image issues but most people I know play sports because it is fun.

Now that I think about it, women tend to treat body issues as vocal spokesperson jews treat racism.
    I can agree with that.

Interesting...lol
    I guess. I just think many men do not give a f*ck. Old man at the beach with a beer gut and a speedo...yup. Fat dudes wearing no shirts at the pool? Yup. A woman who is a size ten lamenting she is 'so fat' yup.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedSlacker View Post
    Maybe I am a heartless bastard, as I am constantly told...
    So the reason why morbidly obese people get that way and don't lose weight is that they aren't mocked, bullied, and humiliated enough publicly. WTF?
    Last edited by eKatherine; 02-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast