Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The beauty of a fat body page 4

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    This entire thread is unnecessary, cruel toward many body types, and just flat-out negative.

Just stop with the body shaming! That may be the very reason for some of the extreme bodies these photography galleries expose.
    A lot of this is coming from other fat people, myself included. Obesity, especially at that level isn't something to be proud of, or the glamorize. I become irritated when I see things like this because I am working my ass off (literally) to become a normal weight.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    This story went viral on FB about two years ago. This thread reminded me of it.

It was posted alongside a picture of this woman who is a plus size model.

Body Image Parable Goes Viral: Mermaid or Whale?

A while back, at the entrance of a gym, there was a picture of a very thin and beautiful woman. The caption was "This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?"

The story goes, a woman (of clothing size unknown) answered the following way:

"Dear people, whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, seals, curious humans), they are sexually active and raise their children with great tenderness.
    They entertain like crazy with dolphins and eat lots of prawns. They swim all day and travel to fantastic places like Patagonia, the Barents Sea or the coral reefs of Polynesia.
    They sing incredibly well and sometimes even are on cds. They are impressive and dearly loved animals, which everyone defend and admires.

Mermaids do not exist.

But if they existed, they would line up to see a psychologist because of a problem of split personality: woman or fish?
    They would have no sex life and could not bear children.
    Yes, they would be lovely, but lonely and sad.
    And, who wants a girl that smells like fish by his side?

Without a doubt, I'd rather be a whale.

At a time when the media tells us that only thin is beautiful, I prefer to eat ice cream with my kids, to have dinner with my husband, to eat and drink and have fun with my friends.

We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
    We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.
    Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 02-19-2013 at 04:16 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
    We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.
    Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: "How amazing am I ?!
    It's one thing to have a few extra pounds. I do, many of us do. But to celebrate being so fat (or so thin) that no, you actually can't have sex, children, move and function normally is not good. The women in those photos are unable to lead healthy lives.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    And when you mention that those models of the photoshoots probably can't play with their kids, that is so nice to eat ice cream with the kids - how many would think if they even can have kids? More or less natural way, without brigade of doctors to fertilize, more to keep the preganacy and another - to deliver? Hold the baby in their hands without suffocating it? Some wouldn't be even able to reach it. They do need some less fat person to help them with everything. And if there are no more less fat people around? Now its one third to half popilation in some places that are so fat, but this trend is going on, there are more and more, so at which % humans as species will stop to exist?
    Whatever is too much, is too much (both directions, thin too) and no talking about shaming and beauty standards will change it. Dead end of evolution.
    And don't forget that there is a human being trapped in that heap of rubbish. Every day, every hour, no chance to take it off and go for a little walk.
    Last edited by SeaHorse; 02-19-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Well, this thread called "The Beauty of a Fat Body" but those women aren't fat - they're obese. The woman I posted a pic to is pretty fat, but she's still beautiful. So I think I'm on topic

Anyway, to me that story isn't about embracing obesity - it's that beauty comes in many forms, and that it's good that have realistic expectations of what you can achieve.

I've always been lean, but I know a lot of thin people who say they "have no sympathy for fat people" and it makes my blood boil.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Don't try to change history! If you look at art over time, 'fat' women were not morbidly obese. They were full and round with a small belly. What is shown in your link is not healthy and should not be an image to attain. You can't even compare. Even looking back less than 100 years you see the 'fat woman' in the circus is about 1/2 the size of these gals. This is a new level of obesity, not a flash back to the romantic past.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Don't try to change history! If you look at art over time, 'fat' women were not morbidly obese. They were full and round with a small belly. What is shown in your link is not healthy and should not be an image to attain. You can't even compare. Even looking back less than 100 years you see the 'fat woman' in the circus is about 1/2 the size of these gals. This is a new level of obesity, not a flash back to the romantic past.
    Are you talking to me?

- Ray Peat

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    By BMI standards, I am overweight. I highly doubt I will ever get to the normal weight range as I would have to lose at least 30lbs from where I am today. But my husband can barely help himself. Perhaps it's because I'm the mother of his 2 wonderful children. Or that I can deadlift 155lbs and squat over 125lbs. I can play soccer and have plenty of energy to chase the kids at the park. One of the reasons I never see fitting into the normal weight range is that I wear a 34H bra.

But there is a big difference between me and morbid obesity. While I'm still working to lose weight and get in better shape, I'm also starting to like what I see in the mirror. I think that when people say they find "fat" beautiful they are talking about those of my build, not obese ones.

Just my 2 cents.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    The only thing more unhealthy then these women, yes both types - is men who actually find any of that attractive.

Makes me think of that woman who was trying to get to 1000lbs. and had a website where some sickos were watching her or whatever...don't really remember.

Why do I get the feeling that the ones who are beyond morbidly obese are that way on purpose, and are actually flaunting it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't look at the ads. I don't want to. I hate all the body shaming of some of the posters here.

If any of you women are overweight like I have been all my life you should try what I did back in my 20s. I got a job as a nude art model in the adult education classes of our local community college.

The artists really liked working with me. They would tell me all the time it was such a pleasure to draw me because of the interesting shapes on my body.

Every class in the middle of class I would take a break while the instructor would tape up everybody's best work of the day (I did poses from 30 seconds up to 15 minutes before this break). Then the class would critique all the drawings. It was fascinating to see what they drew. Some people would draw just lines that would capture the essence of my pose. Some people would draw my back but it would look like someone else's back, perhaps their own wife's back. They made me look and feel beautiful even without altering the folds of skin or whatever other "flaws" on my body.

After one class, I fished one of the drawings out of the trash (yeah, they'd do all this on butcher paper and throw it all away!) and had it framed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast