Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan raw milk outbreak page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

Alaskan raw milk outbreak

Primal Fuel
    Alaska raw milk outbreak prompts advisory

And leafy greens, and poultry. I bet they'd like me to go back to living out of canned food wouldn't they?

But more importantly, why is raw milk so susceptible to getting nasty? Is it something passed from the cow? Is it just storage?

M.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Milk was never meant to be "stored", it was meant to be drunk right away.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    There are two reasons milk can get bugs.

1) poor milking practices. Unclean facilities unclean machines, sick, unhealthy cows. If they milk a cow with mastitis, her milk is poison. You don't want that.

2) from what you mentioned, storage. Again, it's about cleanliness. If it is allowed to get overly warm, and not chilled right away, that's where the nasties come in.

I milk my cow twice a day every day in my barn. I drink it, my whole family drinks it, the neighbors drink it. Raw milk isn't the problem. It's the process. Once it's pasteurized and possibly exposed to something you're done for. Milk naturally has good bacteria to fight off the bad bacteria.

Don't let them fool you. Raw milk is the second most monitored substance outside of marijuana. It's ridiculous.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Is this not something that you can park in the fridge?

M.

DonJulio is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Alaska raw milk outbreak prompts advisory

And leafy greens, and poultry. I bet they'd like me to go back to living out of canned food wouldn't they?

But more importantly, why is raw milk so susceptible to getting nasty? Is it something passed from the cow? Is it just storage?

M.
    It's the FDA. And the CDC. They're assholes and I don't trust em.

I've been drinking raw milk daily for years. Never been sickened. I keep it in the fridge for up to a week, by then I've drank it all. It can probably last longer though. Raw milk doesn't "go bad" in the way that pasteurized milk does.

I've made kefir with raw milk, let it sit on the counter for a week, no problems, perfect kefir.

peril is offline Senior Member
    My father and many others contracted typhoid fever from infected milk in an outbreak in Melbourne around 1940. Some died

Note, compulsory pasteurisation was introduced in 1943
    Last edited by peril; 02-18-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Corrected year and added note
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    People die from things everyday. People die from RXs. No one outlaws those. It's about cleanly practices.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't drink raw milk from a large factory type farm like they used to run either TBH.

But there are practices that make raw milk plenty safe.

The small farm I get milk from for instance does not even group tank.
    Each cows milk is individually milked, bottled, and dated.
    All the cows are clean and disease free... with records available to be viewed by those who purchase the milk.
    They are also not pastured near other cattle that might not be as well cared for or coming from the sales barn frequently.
    Maybe a little more intensive, but no cross contamination problems.

There is also a good deal of proof that human typhoid carriers working in dairies caused some serious problems by contaminating milk that was originally fine from the cows... that was here in America though.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Coll is online now Senior Member
    We have only drunk raw milk for more than 11 years, it needs to come from a healthy animal and it needs to be chilled quickly (or drunk right away!) I have had raw milk in my fridge for up to 2 weeks without it even going sour - and if it does go sour it is still perfectly ok to drink if you can tolerate the taste. It all comes down to a trust relationship with the animals owner - do they have clean facilities, do the animals live in a natural environment with natural fodder?, are the animals clear of illnesses that can be transmitted through their milk? If so (and most of the folk who sell/ share their raw milk are FAR and away better farmers than the folk who have cows in commercial dairies!!) you are safe to drink their milk. There are a number of reasons why milk is pasteurized ... a couple being 1) when milk is transported any distance to a store and then held at the store until people buy it - it doesn't last as long. 2) the animals being milked at the commercial dairies are unhealthy and their milk is full of all kinds of bacteria that need to be killed before the public is allowed to drink it. If the authorities applied the same rules of cleanliness that raw milk dairies have to follow to the commercial dairies - every one would be closed down. And I don't buy the idea that just because the milk is pasteurized it is ok to have milk that has pus and other bacteria in!!

Anyway, my family thrives on high quality raw milk from a wonderful farmer close by. We have a relationship with him and can stop by to see the cows any time we want. There are feedlots just down the road that stink to high heaven - his place smells like a farm, just animals living and content. What a treat out here where you pass by the commercial feedlots and some commercial dairies and have to turn off the air in the car until you are past because it is so disgusting!!! I hope you can find someone trustworthy to get milk from - it really is delicious and so healthy. Good luck figuring out what to do amidst the furor about it...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I wouldn't drink raw milk from a large factory type farm like they used to run either TBH.

But there are practices that make raw milk plenty safe.

The small farm I get milk from for instance does not even group tank.
    Each cows milk is individually milked, bottled, and dated.
    All the cows are clean and disease free... with records available to be viewed by those who purchase the milk.
    They are also not pastured near other cattle that might not be as well cared for or coming from the sales barn frequently.
    Maybe a little more intensive, but no cross contamination problems.

There is also a good deal of proof that human typhoid carriers working in dairies caused some serious problems by contaminating milk that was originally fine from the cows... that was here in America though.
    Tubuculosis was another one. I just found out recently that we often had raw milk from friends that were dairy farmers. (I guess there was a reason the milk at their house always tasted better.) One of the things they talked to my parents about was that bovine TB is apparently super nasty and can be gotten from raw milk. It's less likely to happen where there are fewer wild animals like bison(This was southern PA. There haven't been wild bison there in a loooooong time.) My google-skills made it appear that bovine TB is actually very rare, even in the bovines themselves, and you're more likely to catch human TB from an infected worker- which was a big part of the push for pasturization.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast