Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal and emotional eating page

Violette_R is offline Senior Member

Primal and emotional eating

Primal Fuel
    Can being primal/paleo turn you from the kind of person who eats to assuage bad feelings into the kind of person who loses their appetite when sad?

I've always been the first kind. But this weekend I suffered a pretty bad emotional upset, to which I responded by ... not eating. Even when I was lying in bed last night, having eaten only three eggs and a handful of almonds that day, listening to my stomach growl, I couldn't muster the wherewithal to get up, walk into the kitchen, and slice off a piece of the raw cheddar I've got the fridge. I considered it. I tried to make myself do it. I decided that lying there feeling sorry for myself was the preferable option.

I'm not complaining. Feeling like I do right now is awful, but feeling awful and not gaining weight is better than the alternative. But this is breaking a pattern of nearly 38 years. Has anyone experienced this?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    NYC probably gives people depression. Haha move.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

I've been trying to for two years. I can't get a job anywhere else. Thanks for rubbing it in.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think maybe an change in ideology might help switch off the "eat for comfort" cycle.

So, for example, if you're getting into a way of eating or living that is not congruent with eating for comfort, when something tough happens and you might have historically reached for a Twinkie, your brain signals, "That's not Primal/Paleo/Fill in the blank."

It kind of means you've arrived. Like the first day an ex-smoker realizes s/he hasn't thought about cigarettes for a few days. Not sure if it's Primal specific, or just something that happens when we make or break a habit. I'd count it as a win.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thank you. I'll get over it because I always do, but right now I'm feeling at the end of my rope. So thank you for saying something to make me feel good.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    at least you live within cheap, relatively toll-free striking distance of Immortal Technique and Dead Prez shows. You should get out more. It will cheer you up if you were hip hop
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Hi Violette R,

Firstly, sorry to hear you are experiencing such pain, it will pass and I hope it does soon. About your new experience of appetite loss instead of the usual overeating, I would consider that a huge breakthrough. As you know, with disordered eating food is used to push down and suppress feelings, so when we feel shitty instead of feeling we store it inside us and it never gets out. It sounds to me as though some fundamental change has occured for you and you are feeling your feelings instead of numbing them, that's pretty amazing. As long as you stay kind to yourself throughout this pain, I think you deserve a pat on the back. I wonder if journalling would help as a release as well, it works really well for me.

Thanks, Dexy. Yesterday I forced myself to do as much of my regular activities as I could and started to do it again today. I got up and worked up, then started to get ready to go to work, telling myself the distraction would be good for me even though I really didn't want to put on trousers and get on the subway. My body had other plans though - the stress I'm under caused my IBS to kick in, which hasn't happened in a while. After the episode passed I realized I was physically spent as well as emotionally and decided to call in sick.

I've struggled today with cravings and did make myself a stevia-sweetened, coconut flour snack "cake" with cranberries. Other than that I've managed to stick to my regular diet even though I was still hearing the siren call of carbohydrate. Now I'm drinking some berry-infused water and realized dehydration was contributing to it.

My mood's improved a bit, especially now that I'm finally out of bed. This still sucks though.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal is quite appetite suppressing.

ridgecga is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    good info,After the episode passed I realized I was physically spent as well as emotionally and decided to call in sick.thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast