Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal and emotional eating page 2

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a huge emotional eater but have found that the urge to do that has just disappeared.

I don't know exactly why, but I put it down to the lack of sugar and the presence of lots of nutrients that keep me chemically stable, and the fact that I feel satisfied after meals rather than still looking for something to complete it?

Also I think over time my attitude has changed and food is something to provide me with health and vitality. I now realise that eating for comfort makes me feel good for a very short time, but then there is a much longer period of guilt and self loathing. I can do without that!

It feels extremely good to be free from all of that for the first time in my life.

I hope you get over your upset and start to feel better soon.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    I used to be a huge emotional eater but have found that the urge to do that has just disappeared.

I don't know exactly why, but I put it down to the lack of sugar and the presence of lots of nutrients that keep me chemically stable, and the fact that I feel satisfied after meals rather than still looking for something to complete it?

Also I think over time my attitude has changed and food is something to provide me with health and vitality. I now realise that eating for comfort makes me feel good for a very short time, but then there is a much longer period of guilt and self loathing. I can do without that!

It feels extremely good to be free from all of that for the first time in my life.

I hope you get over your upset and start to feel better soon.
    Good for you spuggygirl! Very happy to hear that
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I found that going primal really did stop the emotional eating. I don't loose my appetite, but I don't feel compelled to eat when feeling upset. I have a tendency to read The Oatmeal and similar.

It really isn't appetite suppression, it's more like. . . "that's not primal" combined with. . . "that's not going to work and I'm only going to feel yucky" combined with "i'm so stuffed from real food that eating anything else right now would be seriously uncomfortable" (so maybe that is appetite suppression?).

I hope things turn around for you soon. If you need a free physical activity, a lot of yoga studios do work-study (exchange) so you get free yoga classes. There are lots of great, small studios in and around NYC, and I would recommend J. Brown's yoga studio in Brooklyn, if that's accessable to you.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot of the time women are encouraged to blame themselves for "emotional eating", when it is borderline nutritional imbalances and deficiencies that are the primary cause.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sometimes, it's also addictive food additives, how some foods lead to binging in some people (ie, i'm like that with potatoes), etc.

but, sometimes, it's also just straight out emotional eating, and I know that's true of myself becuase a "talk process" did help me, so it was emotional.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I've always been a huge emotional eater. Recently, I've been going through some pretty crappy stuff, and thinking back on the past week, I don't think I've been eating enough either. Mostly because I don't feel like I have the energy to cook anything, but also because eating just doesn't seem like an interesting alternative to whatever I'm doing.

I've been trying Vitamin D to help boost my mood. I don't know if you'd be interested in trying it out or not. I assume NYC hasn't been getting much sunshine recently. I know it won't change any situational problems you might be having, but it might help boost your mood enough to tackle one or two things you felt you couldn't do before.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Still muddling through and not relying on food. I had a treat yesterday, but a primal treat. I actually took two days off work, although the second was because my apartment was so filthy I couldn't stand it and I needed time to clean it. It's not like me to skip work just because I'm upset, partly because I find the distraction really helpful. I'm long accustomed to pushing through sadness to do what needs to be done. But I decided I needed to be good to myself a little. Today I'm going back.

I'm mostly keeping up with my training schedule and I regularly take vitamin D. Weather-wise I actually suffer more during summer than I do winter. I've actually been wanting to post about that but it didn't seem appropriate when so many people are posting about suffering winter blues.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just wanted to add that I have always been an emotional eater, too, w/my favorite carby "comfort foods"....that has all changed completely since eating more primally! Really, I am amazed, would never have believed it. So yes, my 2 cents is that emotional eating can change w/this way of life.

Also wanted to offer my sympathy on your bad time in your life now. Hang in.

Beth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12