I started my journey on January 1, 2013 with my husband. He has a neurological issue with his legs where his muscles constantly contract and expand. In other words his leg muscles constantly jump. A Chiropractor friend told us about Paleo and that it reduces inflammation. We're giving it a try to see if reduced carbs will help him. I am trying to lose 40 pounds.

I started the journey by giving up bread, coffee and grains but I would eat legumes. A week later I gave up the legumes. I do eat some yogurt, raw milk, some cheese, eggs, meat, veggies, coconut oil, olive oil, bone broth daily, and some berries, citrus and bananas. I have cut down on the amounts of nuts I eat thinking they are inhibiting weight loss.

So, I was pretty disgusted with myself and didn't weigh before starting the plan. I believe I have lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks. That is a bit discouraging, but as my husband says if we are going to adopt this way of eating I will lose the weight I need and want to. We have committed to each other that we will do this for 6 months and evaluate where we are at that point. My husband has lost 22 pounds in the same amount of time and he looks awesome!

At this time, 6 weeks in I feel great. I have more energy than before, my clothes are fitting better and I am less anxious. I attribute the lessening of anxiousness to not drinking caffeine.

The hardest part, so far is dinning with people who are not eating primal. The bread basket at a restaurant is a little tempting! Tempting, but I have not given in! yay me!! I travel frequently for work and I will be eating out every meal when I do travel.

For exercise I walk my dogs twice a day one mile at a good clip. I like doing squats, plank and push ups when I am on boring conference calls- I work from home. I find it a great use of time to do a little workout while actively listening to a call. It's multitasking at its finest.

My husband hunts so we have a sufficient amount of venison for the year. We grow most of our vegetables and can or freeze to preserve them. We have a good life.

So, at this point I want to lose 34 pounds. I know I can succeed.

2/16

I am so happy! I changed the way I was doing things this week- I walked before eating anything and I lost 2 pounds! I only weigh on Saturday's and I was elated this morning. It sure did pump me up to do the cardio portion of p90x, walked a mile, then hiked 2 miles.

What I ate today:

Breakfast: 1 duck egg scrambled with onion and tallow
Lunch: venison sausage and vegetable soup
Snack: 2 T almonds
Dinner: butternut, venison lasagna with homemade tomato sauce
2 glasses red wine

We went to a farm that sells grass fed beef and picked up a shank, bacon, a dozen pasture raised eggs, 2 pork chops, and short ribs. All pasture fed and no grain. I can't wait to cook the short ribs for my husband.

2/17

Getting ready for the week ahead. I have 2 business trips that will take me out of town for 3 days. Today I made cream of broccoli soup, and vegetable soup and I am roasting an organic chicken for dinner.

The broccoli soup:
2 T Ghee, melted in soup pot
1 small onion diced
1 stalk celery diced
Cook these three ingredients to soften as you wash and trim 8 cups of broccoli florets, stems and leaves.

Add 1.5 cups chicken or beef broth and broccoli to pot cover and cook 20 min until broccoli is soft.

In small pan:
Heat 2 cups milk and 2T tapioca starch to thicken. Add fresh black pepper to taste and add 2 T butter.

Once thick and bubbly, add to the pot of broccoli. I used my hand emulsifier to break up the broccoli a little. I left chunks of broccoli for texture. This is a very nicely flavored soup. I sprinkled with parm cheese before serving.

E: walked dog 30 minutes
B: 2 eggs w/onion and pepper, 1/2 of butternut sq muffin, 2 slices bacon, 4 small figs sautéed in butter and balsamic vinegar. (9:30am)
L: not hungry
S: 4:30 pm 1 Cup broccoli soup
D: chicken and spinach salad with beets and dressing.
1 small Blood orange