Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble getting the balance right page

chestnutbrown is offline Member

Having trouble getting the balance right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi

I've been doing the Primal Blueprint for about 1.5 months now (with varying degrees of sticking to it!). I'm trying to work on cutting out the grains as I keep sneaking the odd thing either because of cravings or convenience!

I decided to track what I'm eating today and using MyFitnessPal, I've mapped out what I'm having today. I'm doing what I would consider to be a very good day (keeping out grains and keeping sugar consumption low). But I'm not sure I'm getting the balance right.

Looking at what I've tracked, by the end of today, I'll have had 1796 calories, 99g fat, 97g carbs, 123g protein (if the metrics on MFP are totally reliable!). I know that there are a couple of items on my list that are quite high carbs (14g and 20g respectively) so I can work on getting a better substitute for those, but even so, I am a bit concerned that the calorie count doesn't seem to be that high - I recently had my calorie goal for the day worked out by a trainer, based on my BMR, activity levels, current weight etc, which should be around 2100 calories to avoid starvation mode.

do I need to worry much about calories on PB? I want to lose weight, it's not coming off very easily (partly due to lapses, but even when I have good spells), so I'm worried that I'm eating too many carbs but not enough calories if that makes sense? Or am I just thinking about this too much?!

Any advice gratefully received!
    Thanks.

Daniel_UK is offline Junior Member
    Hello,

Your gender, weight and activity-level would be useful to know.

Regarding calories - I consider them more of a rough guide than an exact science. Hormone levels, which can be affected by things like excess sugar, are also important.

Just try to keep it simple - meat, fish, eggs, good oils, vegetables, some fruit and of course the occasional red wine and dark chocolate!

Eat until you're not hungry (NOT until you're stuffed). Once you've cut out the sugar and grains you'll be able to listen to your body and not worry so much about calories.

Keep it up! We all know how hard it can be. Once you've established good habits it'll become much easier.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Have you considered fasting?

Quite a useful tool that can help with Primal eating from my own experience.

Plenty of info on here if you do some searches.

With regards to calorie counting, there is quite a bit of argument regarding this. Again from my own experience I have found that pro actively eating foods (veggies, good fats, organic meat etc..) as a priority is more important than cutting food out/monitoring calorie intake. I found that after a while my body just didn't want the bad stuff (grains, gluten, daity etc..) and it told me that whenever I ate that kind of food. Once that happened it literally fell off.

Good luck on your journey.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hows this,
    The other day I ate 0 calories (yep that's zero) over a 24hr period. yet I wasn't hungry and still had great energy. What happened?

My body got it's average daily calorie intake off my fat stores, instead of through my mouth. People on the primal diet don't have to worry too much about a low calorie intake because any deficit can be taken straight off your fat reserves. So basically once 'fat adapted' you should be getting your average daily calorie intake (or more) everyday regardless the amount of food you eat (just don't starve your self).

Another focus point would be trying to kick the carb cravings, you mightn't be a "Fat Burning Beast " yet. The way i did it (I was a 275lbs binge eater 3 months ago) was every time a craving popped up, I didn't try ignore it, I ate something fatty, (like macadamia nuts, avocado, some meat). After 4-5 days of doing this something changed and I no longer was ruled by cravings. Also after this time when i was out and it wasn't convenient to eat primally, it was a very easy choice just to forgo the poor choice and wait till i got home and could tuck into some primal fare.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 02-18-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_UK View Post
    Hello,

Your gender, weight and activity-level would be useful to know.

R
    Female, 260lbs give or take (eeek!), pretty sedentary (on the go all the time at home - two young kids), I do some walking most days - only very short distances though, pilates once a week and working on getting some pushups and squats in when I have five minutes waiting for something to cook!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'll work on cutting out the grains instead of worrying about calories!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Have you considered fasting?
    errrrrmmmm...... not sure I'm ready for that yet.... the thought of missing a meal gives me the heebie jeebies! Will work on it though!

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Hows this,
    Another focus point would be trying to kick the carb cravings, you mightn't be a "Fat Burning Beast " yet. The way i did it (I was a 275lbs binge eater 3 months ago) was every time a craving popped up, I didn't try ignore it, I ate something fatty, (like macadamia nuts, avocado, some meat). After 4-5 days of doing this something changed and I no longer was ruled by cravings. Also after this time when i was out and it wasn't convenient to eat primally, it was a very easy choice just to forgo the poor choice and wait till i got home and could tuck into some primal fare.

Hope that helps a bit.
    That's good advice, I'll try that, thanks.

Daniel_UK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    Female, 260lbs give or take (eeek!), pretty sedentary (on the go all the time at home - two young kids), I do some walking most days - only very short distances though, pilates once a week and working on getting some pushups and squats in when I have five minutes waiting for something to cook!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'll work on cutting out the grains instead of worrying about calories!
    To echo what others have said, get the carbs to around 50g and increase fat intake so that you're eating 2000-2200 calories.

Once you're doing this comfortably, then start thinking about throwing in more exercise. I wouldn't start exercise straight away though - it's too hard to change lots of habits at once! Start with the food, then the exercise.

FiveX is offline Member
    Hello Chestnutbrown, I've been primal for just over a month. Went from 202 to 184 according to the scale this morning. I don't count calories, I just keep track of carbs. i usually eat three times a day the biggest meal being breakfast/brunch around 930 or 1000 am after a walk or hike or workout. For the past month I've kept carbs well under 50g. (Except for superbowl sunday! 3 microbrews and a double 18 yr jamison! dammit! oh well)

Really though what has helped me is cutting out all grains, legumes, dairy, and going very light on fruit. Also while eating I eat slow and savor the food, which helps the body feel satisfied without overeating. I cook with olive oil and coconut oil. I do eat macadamia nuts and almonds for snacks, but the last week i have cut back on these until i reach my goal weight. I eat grass fed beef 3 to 4 times a week, the same with pork/bacon, and fish. Chicken is my go to food i suppose. Tons (lotsa) of different veggies with each meal!

After recently retiring from a stressful job i need a lifestyle change and this is working great for me! Of course several evenings a week i have to have my glass of cab and 1x2 inch square of dark chocolate! Good luck in your journey, peace

Quote Originally Posted by FiveX View Post
    Hello Chestnutbrown, I've been primal for just over a month. Went from 202 to 184 according to the scale this morning. I don't count calories, I just keep track of carbs. i usually eat three times a day the biggest meal being breakfast/brunch around 930 or 1000 am after a walk or hike or workout. For the past month I've kept carbs well under 50g. (Except for superbowl sunday! 3 microbrews and a double 18 yr jamison! dammit! oh well)

Really though what has helped me is cutting out all grains, legumes, dairy, and going very light on fruit. Also while eating I eat slow and savor the food, which helps the body feel satisfied without overeating. I cook with olive oil and coconut oil. I do eat macadamia nuts and almonds for snacks, but the last week i have cut back on these until i reach my goal weight. I eat grass fed beef 3 to 4 times a week, the same with pork/bacon, and fish. Chicken is my go to food i suppose. Tons (lotsa) of different veggies with each meal!

After recently retiring from a stressful job i need a lifestyle change and this is working great for me! Of course several evenings a week i have to have my glass of cab and 1x2 inch square of dark chocolate! Good luck in your journey, peace
    Hi FiveX

Thanks so much for the encouragement - sounds like you're doing great!

I'm now concentrating on stopping the grains and the sugar - training myself to reach for nuts instead of the kids biscuits (sorry, cookies in American!) in a moment of hunger/snack attack! I'm missing the sweet stuff but managing to stick with it so far. I haven't tried cutting out dairy yet, might give that a try in a while, though that feels like it might be harder! In terms of fruit, I'm not much of a fruit person anyway - would prefer to eat tonnes of veggies (which I do!), so that's not too much of a hardship at the moment!

By the way - I'm with you on the Jameson's! It's good stuff! And why not for an occasional treat?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast