Thread: Diamond pushups page

Richardmac is offline Senior Member

Diamond pushups

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys and girls.

I have recently (around Christmas) injured my Coracoid process/Brachial process. For those that dont know this is part of the shoulder that attaches to essentially everything in that area (pec,lat, trap etc) with the Brachial process actually running right down the arm to the thumb (which is why I had some tightness in my forearm).

It has been healing nicely but has still left me unable to do pushups with elbows flared out. Also pullups with elbows flared out are a no no as I feel both this plains of movement in my lat, even though that is not where the tightness originates from.

Ironically doing the harder Diamond pushup bings no discomfort and as you would expect a great workout.

I am thinking of going back to PBF and doing incline diamond, flat diamond, decline diamonds etc (after that doing diamonds on medicine ball, then swiss ball etc). Also doing chins with hands close together, then overhand grip, then towel chins etc.

Does anyone else use diamond pushups. Lower until chest is on hands and back up, great for core as well.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I can't do many diamond pushes, for some reason I can do more claping push-ups

anyway I posted to say that many people reckon you should have yout forearms parrallel to your body, so you elbows don't stick out, rather than with you upper arms out at 90 degrees IYSWIM. that may be a variation you can try.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sandstone is offline Member
    Definitely, diamond push ups force the arm muscles to do a lot more pushing work than regular push ups due to the more acute elbow angle in the bottom position. Anatomically they are safer for the shoulder as they keep the arms closer to the body and it easy to maintain a good shoulder pack. Also they are a key step in the 1-arm PU progression as in CC. Many people think of a 1-arm PU as a regular push up on 1-arm but in fact its a diamond push up on 1-arm due to the fact that to maintain balance the planted hand has to come somewhat under the torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I can't do many diamond pushes, for some reason I can do more claping push-ups

anyway I posted to say that many people reckon you should have yout forearms parrallel to your body, so you elbows don't stick out, rather than with you upper arms out at 90 degrees IYSWIM. that may be a variation you can try.
    Tribal Rob, what does IYSWIM mean?

Are you using arms tucked pushups. I had used arms flared as I felt it in my chest more. I am in two minds whether to use arms tucked as you mentioned (which I have been using a bit) and diamond pushups?!

Quote Originally Posted by sandstone View Post
    Definitely, diamond push ups force the arm muscles to do a lot more pushing work than regular push ups due to the more acute elbow angle in the bottom position. Anatomically they are safer for the shoulder as they keep the arms closer to the body and it easy to maintain a good shoulder pack. Also they are a key step in the 1-arm PU progression as in CC. Many people think of a 1-arm PU as a regular push up on 1-arm but in fact its a diamond push up on 1-arm due to the fact that to maintain balance the planted hand has to come somewhat under the torso.
    Very true sandstone. I was just wondering if anyone used them, and why?

I am currently swithering between simplefit with different pressups/pullups OR going back onto Marks PBF but using diamond pushups and doing incline diamond, floor diamond, decline diamond etc?! Simple fit is shorter per session but does not involve core. PBF hits the core, and I can add calf work to both of them.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'll do diamonds from time to time, but not as part of a specific workout routine...though, i guess i'll be doing them for CC at some point. i think you can probably do some of those, and some regular ones with your elbows in tight, as though you're doing the planche. different muscles will fire, which could be a really good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i'll do diamonds from time to time, but not as part of a specific workout routine...though, i guess i'll be doing them for CC at some point. i think you can probably do some of those, and some regular ones with your elbows in tight, as though you're doing the planche. different muscles will fire, which could be a really good thing.
    Yeh I agree. Im just trying to figure out which style of training works better for me. I got good results from PBF and the higher reps in size/strength, but the high reps are as much mental as anything else. I also had some quick results with simple fit and the variation in rep schemes. I amnt going to do much of squats regardless as iv upped my cycling and it kills my legs (in a good way).

Richard

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Diamonds/close push-ups are one of my favorite variations! I wrote about them in this guest post I did for Mark a couple weeks ago: Push-ups: The Perfect Primal Exercise | Mark's Daily Apple

If you can do them without pain and regular push-ups are a no-go then it seems like you've found a great solution.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Tribal Rob, what does IYSWIM mean?

Richard
    Incestuous Yaks summertime wardances Invariably Mutate

or

If you see what I mean
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Ummm... Not sure if this will work for you, but tuck your elbows into your lats, put your hands under your shoulders, and point your fingers out just a little bit. Or not. But try tucking your elbows in. Same basic concept as the diamond pushups, but your arms stay out of the way of your chest. It's supposed to be better for your shoulders than flared out, too.

ridgecga is offline Junior Member
    agree.If you can do them without pain and regular push-ups are a no-go then it seems like you've found a great solution.