Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UK Doctors: "Tax fizzy drinks and bad junk food ads" page 3

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Small point on kitchen knives Doctors have objected to them for many many years and have a point IMO. The reason that table knives are rounded is for this very same reason and originates from, I beleive 16th century France where they decided to prevent restaurant goers from stabbing each other. The trend caught on....
    Yup treat the population as though they are children. Great idea.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    It's just another excuse so the government can tax you harder and take more of your money.

Please don't tell me that people are so retarded that they can't make their own decisions.

What are you going to be asking for next? Should fat people be put in jail for being fat, only fed the right amount of food so they can lose weight, and not allowed to get out until they aren't fat anymore? It would work, but I'd think people would want more freedom than that. Unless people really are that dumb? Yeah, probably.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Please don't tell me that people are so retarded that they can't make their own decisions.
    This sounds well and good. But there's a big problem -- information. While the internet should remedy this problem, it hasn't. People coccoon themselves and cling to false notions.

If advertising didn't affect people, corporations wouldn't waste their moneyl.

Lilith is offline Member
    I felt like holding my head in my hands when I heard about this story on the radio - they interviewed a member of the public who said "Well if soft drinks were so bad for us, they wouldn't make them" - duh!
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Clearly the health indicies tell us that sugar is as problematic for the human frame as the other two main (and heavily taxed) offenders, namely alchohol and nicotine. The fact that sugar is exempt is probably because we are only now seeing the obvious effects of HFCS. In my view: outlaw HFCS, apply the same levvies on refined sugar as are applied to cigarettes, and issue a nappy(diaper) and pacifier to anyone who complains

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Clearly the health indicies tell us that sugar is as problematic for the human frame as the other two main (and heavily taxed) offenders, namely alchohol and nicotine. The fact that sugar is exempt is probably because we are only now seeing the obvious effects of HFCS. In my view: outlaw HFCS, apply the same levvies on refined sugar as are applied to cigarettes, and issue a nappy(diaper) and pacifier to anyone who complains
    Yup, because the state always knows what's best for us. If you allow this kind of thinking, they would tax coconut oil and butter for the saturated fat content, eggs for the cholesterol content, and tax meat because it is less efficient at feeding people than corn is. Next they would outlaw knives because they are pointy, baseball bats because they are blunt, high heel shoes because they are wobbly, cars because they are fast, etc...

Good idea.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    This sounds well and good. But there's a big problem -- information. While the internet should remedy this problem, it hasn't. People coccoon themselves and cling to false notions.

If advertising didn't affect people, corporations wouldn't waste their moneyl.
    Natural selection will work it all out. The morons will eat themselves to death. Everyone else will survive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123