Thread: Media coverage of obesity page

Lilith is offline Member

Media coverage of obesity

Shop Now
    Hi all, I have been working my way through Mark's PB book which I am finding really interesting.

Then this morning, I see one of our newspapers is focusing on the obesity epidemic. Interesting to read about some of the tactics used by supermarkets to get people to buy food, especially the 'low fat yoghurt' one in this article:

Although I have to say on the few occasions when I ate supermarket pizzas, I scrutinised the portion sizes carefully so knew how many calories you got for so little

They also have another article on taxing soft drinks due to their links to obesity.

Surely this is nothing new? Are people only just becoming wise to this? It makes me wonder what triggers the media into reporting things like this when it has been around for so long?
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I read the newspaper daily and they report on obesity almost every day. It's nothing new.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Lilith is offline Member
    Must be me then - I make a point of not reading the papers too much lol
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

Sandman is offline Member
    No doubt, food makers and sellers are very savvy at getting people to buy/eat more than they need. After all, who would ever want to purchase something that was less of a bargain or had less value?

As many here know, the real solution is in changing our understanding of "value."
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

It's not so simple

The government has been working with agribusiness for more than a century to get people away from the idea that there is a healthy and traditional way to eat based on cooking foods from basic ingredients, which gives little profit to manufacturers and big agribusiness. They have mostly succeeded. Most people are divorced from the idea that there is value in eating the three square meals a day that any housewife used to pride herself in preparing for her family. Now people are convinced that eating nutritiously is so confusing that only a person with a PhD in nutrition who lives a life of leisure could possibly do so on their own. And so even Americans who are concerned for the most part simply have thrown up their hands and eat processed junk food, supplementing them occasionally with trendy superfoods and supplements.

They have even eliminated housewives, as the increase in cost of living and decrease in median wage makes it impossible for mothers to stay at home to prepare time-consuming meals, as they did in previous generations.

As other countries still do, we used to have national and regional cuisines. That has been completely forgotten, and now people think hamburgers, pizza, and potato chips are what Americans have always eaten.

Unless and until it reaches the point that a large part of the population again perceives vegetables and animal products to be healthy mainstays, there is no way there can be a shift.