Thread: C-Reactive Protein page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

C-Reactive Protein

My C-Reactive Protein test results came back. I understand this test measures the amount of inflammation in the body overall, not in any specific area. Mine is:
    C REACTIVE PROTEIN, WIDE RANGE, SER/PLAS 0.9 <2.5 mg/L

That's well within the standard range, but I'd guess that also means there's still some inflammation somewhere or throughout my body. Is 0 a possible test result?

I hope some here can give me more information on what 0.9 really means.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    My C-Reactive Protein test results came back. I understand this test measures the amount of inflammation in the body overall, not in any specific area. Mine is:
    C REACTIVE PROTEIN, WIDE RANGE, SER/PLAS 0.9 <2.5 mg/L

That's well within the standard range, but I'd guess that also means there's still some inflammation somewhere or throughout my body. Is 0 a possible test result?

I hope some here can give me more information on what 0.9 really means.
    The body always has some inflamation somewhere.... always.... the only way I can think of to be inflamation free is to be unalive, and my gut feeling tells me that isn't compatible with your lifestyle. I don't think a result of 0mg/L is possible for a living breathing human body, but I could be wrong..... THAT is well within the realm of possibilities!

Normal concentration in healthy human serum is usually lower than 10 mg/L, slightly increasing with aging. Higher levels are found in late pregnant women, mild inflammation and viral infections (10–40 mg/L), active inflammation, bacterial infection (40–200 mg/L), severe bacterial infections and burns (>200 mg/L).[24]
    C-reactive protein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 02-18-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Thank you very much. I had this test done on the recommendation of many people on this forum and of Mark. From what you've said I'm very happy with 0.9. Sorry I didn't think to look in wikipedia. I am a little suprised there was only one response to this question. So I really appreciate your answer.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Anything under 1.0 is considered low risk. So 0.9 is a good result.

The thing to be aware of is this 0.9 fully attributed to any one specific area or is it a cumulative result? For example, if this 0.9 is reflective of inflammation solely allocated in the heart then you should aim to reduce that inflammation to less than 0.5.

As time passes the 0.9 will gradually increase regardless of anything negative you add to the system. Aging just is part of the territory.

If you have a history of heart disease, it might not be a bad idea to get a calcium score test, but of course speak with your health care professional first.

Other big areas of inflammation are past peripheral blood vessels, infection sites, old injuries, current injuries, and the mouth/teeth.

Thank you, StephenHLi. Someone else just posted his score was .025, so I am less pleased than I was. I'm having my calcium score tested now. I don't think the inflammation is in my heart but in my intestiens.
    A funny thing happened today at my G.I. doctor. He'd diagnosed me in '09 with Ulcerative Colitis and said at that time that it often leads to cancer. But today after seeing my C-Reactive Protein result, he said maybe it was going away by itself. "It sometimes does that", he said. But from his behavoir he must think it doesn't happen that often. He'll be doing a colonoscopy in a few weeks, so we'll see.
    At my age I guess the C-Reactive Protein result will only go up.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    My tests say it is "< 0.2"

I think 0.2 is the bottom measurable level of the test, so it may be 0.1 or 0 as well. In my opinion, yes: it is possible to have zero. Or at least very close to.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    I had my CRP checked using an hs-CRP test earlier this week. My result is 30.19!

What, if anything, did you finally do about yours?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    0 isn't possible. As to a result of 30.19, there are several things to consider. Had you just had/been sick or injured? Both can increase CRP substantially.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    0 isn't possible. As to a result of 30.19, there are several things to consider. Had you just had/been sick or injured? Both can increase CRP substantially.
    I was suffering from a strained back, and a visit to the chiropractor the day before the blood draw. I felt like a train hit me, and a bit like I was fighting the flu or something. I'm hoping that was the cause of the high reading. I've never had my CRP checked before, so I don't know what it is normally.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug